Question: Why Do Some Parked Planes Have Their Rudder To The Far Right?

Forenti

Hello,

I have little aviation experience but I've just got a question. I've noticed that a lot of the commercial aircraft that are parked at airport gates have their rudder directed to the far right (starboard side). What is the reason for this? In my experience around half of the planes at terminals adhere to this rule.

Thank you, I appreciate any responses.

Probably the parking space may be on the right side of the taxiway line, therefore theyd have turned right into the parking space, as indicated by the right rudder... Thats my thoughts on why, but I havent ever noticed that to be honest..

There's been a bit of discussion in the past on forums like Airliners etc. Mostly centered around hydraulics & wind. Lack of hydraulic pressure combined with prevailing wind & other theories that the hydraulics are set up in a way that one side loses pressure & not the other. But they were all guesses, it would be good to hear from a technician or pilot who knows what the real reason is.

Cheers, Willie.

Guest Darren Masters

Wind mostly keeping in mind some aircraft also have a 'rudder lock' to stop the rudder from flapping around. That and often the rudder will stop according to the last pedal movement by the flying pilot. Could be left, right or neutral.

I'm not an engineer but yes, when the hydraulics are shut down on the ground the rudder is free to move with the wind.

Thats pretty much it from my experience.After engine shut down,after the Hydraulic systems ( 2 or more for redundancy ) have bled all pressure, the rudder will swing with the wind on some aircraft.It will move slowly due to the dampening effect of the fluid in the system.Some aircraft also droop, parts like U/c doors etc.Due to gravity. F111 main wheel well door would droop all the way to the ground if a collar lock not was fitted after shut down..Nose wheel downlock pin would be removed after engine start up on a launch and put in before engine shut down after jet recovery.Nose wheel over centre lock wasnt very trusted.Hence removal and installation of the with hydraulic pressure (engines running).

There is one BIG factor that will effect the control reflections of parked aircraft... and that is the prevailing winds.... I would guess if they were parked in a line eventually they would all mimic each other?