Why is the forum loading so slow?

Guest dracer

Guest dracer

seems since the update the board is loading really slow, maybe its the buletin, ie the blue writing screening abouve?

im confused.

brad

Guest palexxxx

I think it's because of the scrolling banner. The forum always loads slower when there is a banner operating.

That's interesting - I have turned it off - that any better

Are you on dialup?

It doesn't sound right especially when you have so many database calls and the loading of images and many many lines of html code yet the scrolling banner only uses this very small amount of code:

Read about the new added feature to Recreational Flying and have some fun - THE GAMES ARCADE - 
Click here to find out more.

Guest palexxxx

I'm on satellite. It's supposed to be broadband but it's not really. It is a bit quicker than dial-up however.

Guest dracer

i think it was the banner, im on broadband, it feels like dialup at the moment, definetly loaded a little faster just now, maybe it was the banner.....

i log on several times a day, i certainly noticed it was slower since the update ian.

brad

Weird - however those in Sydney should get a faster speed as the server is located in a Data Centre there.

I think as the speed problem isn't global I can only assume that it is the quality of the user's ISP.

I have done a lot of things to speed it all up and it is blistering speed down here in Melb on Optus Cable however I will try and look deeper into it when I get the time

Guest palexxxx
I think as the speed problem isn't global I can only assume that it is the quality of the user's ISP.

G'day Ian,

It's got nothing to do with my ISP. I realize that my speed is slow in comparison to real broadband. But, I am reporting that when you are operating the banner the loading of the forum is much slower than when it is not operating. Perhaps it is more noticable on slower bandwidth but the fact remains that the banner slows down the loading of the forum dramatically.

Peter.

P.S. Perhaps if you put a ridiculously long banner message on it would be interesting to see just how long the forum homepage takes to load.

Guest dracer

i didnt mean to cause any problems, i just have noticed a slower board since the update, even without the banner.... i love it so im happy with the slow loading.

other forums load alot faster but i guess this forum is much more polished.

brad

I'm on Broadband and find that not only is it slow, but when clicking on links within posts, they time out. Thumbnails also taking their time to open full size.

Apart from that, I quite like the changes.

I am getting a lot more time outs lately myself. They can be either:

your network card

your modem

your transmission line

your isp

the forum server

I thought that the only thing I had changed was the forum server so I started to get worried until the other day I spent some time away from the forums on other sites and I was getting just the same number of time outs. I sort of felt relieved that it probably isn't the forum server but something else. I know that about 1 and a half weeks ago there was massive damage done to some main cable I think to the US. Whether this is causing any re-routing of traffic that is causing some high loadings on the Telstra Backbone I am unsure.

I will be taking it up with the Data Centre anyway just in case

Oh, forgot to mention - I spoke to Palexxx today and we did some timings on loading the forums with:

1. no banner

2. static banner

3. scrolling banner

Now Palexxx is using Satellite so it was really slow but the results were:

Static banner 56secs

Scrolling banner 59secs

No banner was way over a minute first time and then 56secs the next time.

This means that the scrolling banner added about only 5% impact nevertheless I will not use the scrolling banner again but with AD/AN notices I will just put a bold Red static banner to let people know that a new AD/AN is out - hope this helps.

Iif anyone else wants to do a test then please let me know and I can do the changes while talking to you on the phone and timing the differences

Guest Fred Bear

Since the update Ian I have experienced nothing but lightning speed. I am Optus cable. To those users that are experiencing slow loading of the forums try to clear your cache. That might help.

Guest dracer
Also the interesting thing is this is the building of the data centre where our server is located - and it still works 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif - I'm serious!http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/gas-blast-1000-evacuated/2008/02/04/1201973771925.html

thats amazing...

i will clear my puter tonight and see if it loads the board faster 2moro...

hope it is just out systems and not your Ian..

cheers

brad

Guest palexxxx

Ian,

I've started using Firefox now instead of IE and the forum loads heaps faster now, thanks.

Peter.

Sorry Ian, but I think the problem is at your end. Too many people suddenly having troubles with speed and time outs. Today I could only open 3 out of 5 thumbnails before the time outs started. That included trying to open the next posts. Had to exit the site, play a game of Spider Solitaire, then come back.

BTW, just found the games room. Hmmm, seems like a lot of us have too much time on our hands.

One thing that could possibly be causing it is that I am currently doing a lot of intensive work trying to get the photo gallery working. For example I had to move 50meg of pictures around on the server this morning which naturally uses a lot of server resource.

Hopefully in a few days most of the heavy development will be finished so it will be interesting if any problems still exist when the forums get back to just normal use 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

Guest Fred Bear
Ian,I've started using Firefox now instead of IE and the forum loads heaps faster now, thanks.

Peter.

Best move you ever could have made ;)