Float Bowl Gaskets for 912

skippydiesel

As well as looking for new spark plug caps,I have been researching float bowl/chamber gaskets (have a small weep);

Rotax seems to have combined the two (912/914) numbers they were using into one, so now PN 830721 is the way to go. I get the impression this is a "rubber"  no longer a cork gasket.

I have contacted variose suppliers (mainly USA) and Bing the maker of the (Bing model 64, Part No 830-727) carburettor

Prices/ gasket so far;

Rubber

B Flood $22.99  + delivery

Bing $17.74 delivered 

Cork

EBay $58.19 for 10 = 5.89 each  including delivery - up from here

I've got two (nitrile) on the way as spares (should get in todatys mail); in case I damage one in the field or at home airfield; or a mate may need one.  I had a set of nitrile ones on an 80hp 912 years ago.  Then one day put some aviation soft seal #3 on the upper side to hold it in the groove better.  It swelled and became us so don't try that.

Need a die cutter maker to make a cutter to pop them out of sheet cork.  These days a 3D printer could make a cookie cutter the correct shape in hard plastic material. (That's an isea for a forum person) I was going to hand cut two emergancy spares buy better to buy them outright.  I enjoy repairing things for some stupid reason.

Cheers

Cheers

Ho Blue,

We have very similar philosophies/drivers - I would not hesitate to try an cut a gasket for a land bound carbi but somehow trying to do the same for an aircraft system puts me off.

Just thought it might help other 912/914 drivers out there to get the results of my research.

• 2 weeks later...

Received my brand new "rubber" gaskets from Bing today - had some time on hand, so did the install immediately - strange! both float bowl cork gaskets were damaged. Only installed them 100 hrs ago. One had actually split along a long edge, the other twisted slightly. The twisted one was weeping. I am usually very careful with my install but obviously not careful enough last time. 

It's not difficult to get them slightly out of alignment when fitting, and pinch them.

This happened to me and it leaked slightly after checking the fuel bowls during a service.

I purchased new cork gaskets, removed carbs from engine and sat them upside down on a bench.

I put a VERY small amout of silicone (or something) in each corner and fitted gasket and bowl.

Left overnight and refitted to engine. That was several years ago and I've never had a problem since.....gasket sits nicely in place when removing bowls.

Thanks Downunder - I have been in the habit of replacing my cork gaskets every 200 hrs. Never had a problem in the past - old gaskets always looked like I could use them again but not this time and at only 100 hrs.

The new jobs look the goods. It may be illusory but they look & feel much more substantial than the cork.