Another aviation website bites the dust.

red750

It appears that airport-data.com has or is about to bite the dust. I have tried to access the site but get the message "This site can't be reached" a number of times over the past couple of days. I received an email from one of the Moderators who said he was probably the only one still involved, and that the owner had withdrawn all interest. Details about airports, which is what the site is (was) all about have not been updated for a couple of years - the owner is the only one who can update this information. I have received the above message on a number of sites bur after a few seconds, the site opens. If you click on the link in my signature below and get through, please let me know. Don't bother advising a failed attempt.

A few of the former members have started their own photo database which can be viewed, but only uploaded to by members, and at the present time, membership is by invitation. It will be open for registration shortly. The site is https://www.airhistory.net/. There are a large number of Australian aircraft pictured on the site.

• Like 2

Thanks KR, the site has had this problem a couple of times before, but I think it might be on its last gasp based on what the moderator told me in the email. I put details of Wellcamp in a forum post when it opened, and it still has not been added to the database. Many other members have done likewise with the same result.

I note that photos are still being added, but that is virtually an automatic process.

There is a free smartphone app called Runwaymap which has over 20,000 airports listed so this & perhaps other like it are taking over from websites like airport-data. It is still there though.

• Agree 1