Options for good useful load at low price?

rtyuiop

No offence but I dont think you looked very far for a good weight/performance RAA registerable aircraft.

True - I didn't look very far past what we own and what works for me, carries the most weight, is the fastest (95-100kt) and is 'cheap' at $35-45k with a range of 5 hours (my C152). 

Mr FV would highly recommend the RANS Courier S7.  It can take the two of us with fuel, but very little baggage (behind the seats).  One 19 reg sold recently for $70k, the kit incl Rotax maybe $70kUSD ($100k AUD).  It took 6 years to build; but he was working full time, his first wife got cancer and died, got a slack-attack, he chased me for 13 months, had a wedding, moved house ...  Dedicated work could have it built in a year.  Or you can buy a factory built ready to fly for over $207k AUD.  The advantage of building is the alterations you can do to suit.  It cruises at 75-80kt, 4 hours if you throttle back.  Seats are one behind so a lot of instructors won't train in them (want side by side), so you'll probably have to do your dual training in another aircraft.

For fun we can't go past our Karasport - single seat, 2 stroke, very cheap, about 20 mins endurance (you just take off, chortle around and land), can take Mr FV at 6' & 105kg, comes apart into a trailer, saving on hangarage.  Build (we did) or buy second hand.

That's our pick.  Would not recommend the Wheeler Scout unless you are very light and want excitement.  Or the Lightwing GA - again need to be light and long legged (no seat adjustment, little payload), needs careful handling (a GA killed Maj Millard), they are cheap, but need constant maintenance (fabric etc), the GR is more forgiving.  Ours will be for sale, but we won't sell to an inexperienced pilot.  It is 55 reg and L2 maintained so can be used for training or hire.

If you want sleek, fast, slippery - there's a Pulsar coming on the market - the owner can no longer fly, Rotax 912, was VH registered, now 19, two seat, taildragger, price very negotiable.  Personally I don't like it, too cramped after flying C152, RANS & lightwing, but Mr FV says it is the best Rotax 912 he has seen.

I won't recommend anything I have not owned or flown a fair bit.

Sue

Hi Sue/FV,

Pre loved is always a bit of a lottery but with patience and knowledge (your own or borrowed in) great deals can be had - must know what the mission expectations are BEFORE opening the cooky jar.

All prospective purchasers should be very sceptical of performance claims - FLY IT YOURSELF and be aware that instruments can also tell fibs.

The "sexier" the aircraft looks the more inflated the claims tend to be.

I think Robin Austin's modified Soneri VH-SGS still holds the world speed record for a Rotax 912 ULS powered aircraft  - Compare the factory/owners claims with this third party verified performance and you might just get a reality check.

"Or you can buy a factory built ready to fly for over $207k AUD".

Sorry to contradict but you can have a top performing brand new carbon fibre factory built ATEC Faeta for about $150,000 (estimated - will depend on $Au/Euro & fit out) with Rotax 912ULS. Bit cheaper if you get the very advanced kit.- Check out the real world specs on this aircraft, - probably widest flight envelope and biggest bang for the buck on the market.

OR

You can get the ATEC Zephyr for a lot less (factory/kit) - This is what I have (now 20 years old) It's the original ATEC. Now a bit down market compared with the Faeta's (2 types) but still a fantastic performing aircraft.

"It took 6 years to build; ................................  Dedicated work could have it built in a year. " Assuming all components on hand (that is airframe, as delivered + engine, avionics, wiring & plumbing) the ATEC kits could easily be completely finished & flying within a week of delivery. A lot of people love the build process, others are willing to pay a bit more for a very advanced kit.

Sorry Skip, but you are not really an unbiased commentator in this matter, are you? You should always point that out.  Nev

Don't be sorry Nev: I feel you would like me to be this totally biased commentator, when in fact I go to considerable trouble to be honest and upfront - dont see any gain in being otherwise

I think you will find that I have "owned up" a few comments earlier and in many threads on this Forum.

I stand by what I have said, regarding the performance of ATEC aircraft. Everything is factual & can be easily verified by anyone who is interested in the ATEC brand - if you are "fair dinkum"  ask for a test flight. 

With regard to my opinion on performance claims of many manufacturers - I have merely advised a high degree of scepticism (do you have a problem with this ?).

Look carefully at aircraft weight/fuel flow/rpm/ claimed endurance for a given tank capacity - does it all  "fit" together logicly or do some figures just "not compute" ???  Finally how the aircraft you are "looking at" compares with the independently verified performance of the World speed record holder Soneri VH-SGS  - hardly biased advice, just good  common sense.

Would that then fail the 51% build requirement for 19 reg? 

Not  really my area but as there is now about 9 Zephyrs (Kit built 19 Rego) and 2 Faeta's ( factory built 24/25 Rego) operating in Au  and the oldest Au delivered aircraft is now about 20+ year old -  RAA do not seem to have a problem.

• Like 2