Managing the Culture

Rich

Hi everyone

I just wanted to post my thoughts and hope that someone can align my perception.

I am new to this sport and cant get enough, I am so interested that I want to buy an aircraft.

I posted on the Thruster thread last night about an incident where the tail plane had broken.

The point I was making and the thing that concerns me is that we all found out about this incident by accident.

Robin advises that he sent a report to RA AUS but apparently they did not get it. Tony from TOSG was very concerned that he was not aware of the incident and of course wants to prevent an further problems.

As a prospective aircraft buyer I am very busy doing all I can to get all the information I can about type and specific plane history so I can make the most informed decision I can.

This is where I need some help in understanding the culture of this sport.

Do we have a culture where people avoid telling anyone about an accident or incident so as to avoid embarrassment or to possibly devalue the aircraft involved.

Do people refrain from telling others about incidents we know of, so as to protect the name of our mates.

Do people refrain from notifying RA AUS because we fear our flying ability will come into question.

Or is peoples experience that the incidents are reported to RA AUS and simply not followed up, or lost in the black hole of missing emails.

As I look for the right plane and find out which one suits me best, I want to be confident that I don't miss anything because it was deliberately hidden or missed due to poor processes.

What I do know is that those involved in recreational Flying want to be seen as professionals and people with high standards of operation.

The issue I have is one of continued safety, and what we are prepared to tolerate as an operational model.

Cheers

Rich 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

I'll jump in.

Firstly, if it's perception your interested in, don't combine the word "sport" with "recreational aviation". Recreational aviation is a leisure activity for most and a profession for some (instructors, maintainers etc.). I won't go into definitions, but sport is something that recreational flyers are definitely not doing.

Now back to topic. I would expect that all those involved in this forum are the type of folks that actively encourage a reporting culture - either of themselves, others and their aircraft. While this also applies to the vast majority of RA-Aus members as well, there are always the minority in any group that will bend, stretch or even break rules & regulations - I believe it's everyone's responsibility and in their best interest to identify and rectify those with that approach and attitude.

Cheers,

Matt.

It may be true that we in this forum report all accidents and incidents, but I doubt that RAAus members in their entirety are as diligent. I have heard many tales of incidents and never seen any report on them. Some would make your hair curl, such as taking off as soon as a fog starts to lift, then when it did not disperse having to wander around above it looking for a way down, all while having a student on board.

Narromine is great for that. People like to talk much more than write reports. I was told that there have been up to 10 through bolt failures in Jabiru engines in the South Australia region alone. I know of four.

Beats me how we get people to report these things.

I will put into motion an online reporting page on the website, which will give back a confirmation receipt number, or something along those lines. That way, if we in the office believe we did not receive a report, you can give us the receipt number so that we can track it down.

The office is still busy even when no work comes in on a particular day (which never happens).

Chris

I will put into motion an online reporting page on the website, which will give back a confirmation receipt number, or something along those lines. That way, if we in the office believe we did not receive a report, you can give us the receipt number so that we can track it down.The office is still busy even when no work comes in on a particular day (which never happens).

Chris

Chris, I phoned you this morning to suggest this very thing but you were on the phone and very busy so I left a message with Samanther I think it was - so don't worry about calling me back now - all sorted!

I'll jump in.Firstly, if it's perception your interested in, don't combine the word "sport" with "recreational aviation". Recreational aviation is a leisure activity for most and a profession for some (instructors, maintainers etc.). I won't go into definitions, but sport is something that recreational flyers are definitely not doing.

Thanks Matt

Perception is just a friendly entry phrase to a discussion of a major concern.

As for sport.. welll.. as I said I'm new to this, maybe I misunderstand The intention of "light spot aircraft" category. I believe we all desire to function professionally here.

Any way thanks to all who have commented so far. As TECH MAN suggests, I just want to address the idea that incidents happen and don't get properly reported by the people involved.

At the end of the day I'm sure that we will all feel safer and more comfortable if we make it very "uncool" for people to not report aircraft accidents or failures.

Cheers

Rich :thumb_up:

Tech Man. Chris.

That is a step in the right direction. Some time ago we had a lot of discussion in this forum on Jab engines and more or less it resulted in a put up or situation, and little more was heard. Rick P was quite keen on getting a reporting page going, but it didn't happen. That left me wondering if there was no problem with Jab engines.