Avalon Airshow

Sean

Hi.

I am thinking of going to the 2009 Avalon Airshow. I would like to hear from others who have been to this airshow in the past and am looking for information on where to stay, transportation, type of tickets, when best to book etc etc etc.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean,

I don't think i've missed an Avalon show yet and I can thoroughly recommend going, it's a great experience.

In an effort to answer your questions:

1. Accommodation: Geelong is the closest city to Avalon with plenty of hotels. Werribee is the next largest city (really a big town) for accommodation, but you can also try Lara although pickings would be slim there.

2. Transportation: Fly in if you can! An airfield known as Avalon East is established for the duration of the airshow running parallel runway ops for private and charter operations. Public transport is pretty good with special trains running to the closest local station (Lara) then shuttle bus to the airfield. Driving from either Geelong or Melbourne side is actually not too bad if you time it well - i.e. get in earlier, leave later than Average Joe Public.

3. Tickets: I've had the priviledge of Gold Pass and other than a grandstand seat which doesn't really offer much more viewing pleasure than a fold up chair anywhere on the expansive site, I'm not sure of the value of the extra cost. Go general entry. If you're a pilot or have some affiliation with something to do with the aviation industry (supplier etc.) you can get in on the trade days - cost is same but crowds are much smaller than the weekend - the displays during the week are essentially all the fast, heavy & noisy bits from the weekend programme.

4. Booking: anytime, I'm yet to hear of it selling out with the exception of the Gold Passes. If you go general entry, show up at the gate with cash in hand or buy from Ticketek anytime before you arrive.

Now...where's my commission from Airshows Downunder ;)

Cheers,

Matt.

Sean

I agree with Matt.

And the Trade Days are the go if the weather is good. Less crowd, less kids and the exhibitors are more able to discuss details that you are interested in.

The Airshow each time has been the best I have seen. There is nothing like professional pilots trying to sell something by showing off it's capabilities .... and the military section showing off is great too.

(FYI - The Air Show and the aerospace exhibitors are actually just an interesting adjunct to the centre of the whole deal, Ian's coffee, seats & shop products @ the Rec Flying stand)

Guest David C

As a matter of interest , what are the dates for the 2009 Avalon Airshow , and can you camp on site ??

Dave C

can you camp on site ??

Hi Dave,

In the early days they used to set up a campsite in one of the many paddocks surrounding the airfield. In the past couple of events they've moved it to Lara (about 10km away) and I believe it's located at one of the footy grounds. Shuttle buses are provided to get you to / from the site.

Cheers,

Matt.

I went to Avalon last year (flew in). What a blast - camped at Lara footy ground. Shuttle bus service was fantastic - never had to wait too long for the bus. Camping was good with extra showers and toilets provided. Very reasonable meal prices and drinks from the Lara Club Rooms? right next to the camp. Highly recommended. Cheap cooked breakfast by the local scout group every morning.

regards

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, it would be great to fly in but I would have to go by Jetstar. Hope to see some of you at the airshow, cheers.

Guest peterf

Rally

I've flown down to the last 2 Avalons as part of the rally. That makes for a very enjoyable week. Plus you get free entry and camping if you put your plane on display.

Here are some photos from the trips. Sorry for not getting around to culling/editing the photos yet.

http://srfc.org.au/web/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,60/?g2_itemId=57

-Peter

:rotary: