EFATO - MCR Sportster • French father & son survive cornfield landing. (YT vid. Jun '20 )

This video was made by the same Sportster pilot who did the Tour of France series posted today in another thread.

Lots to be learned here, I'd say; among other things: how quickly an everyday flight can turn critical, also how important good - and well fitted - harnesses really are. (especially if you watch the crash sequence frame by frame). As to other 'lessons' - not to say 'critiques' - that obviously arise for some (and to which the pilot/filmmaker has opened himself by posting the evidence) I've attached here a Google translation of the french YouTube debate/discussion. 

This is just to show that, as usual, the whole gamut between fulsome praise and tearing strips off the pilot has already been well canvassed back home.

The YT handle of the pilot/poster  L' Appel du Rotax is rendered here as 'The Rotax Call' (The Call of the Rotax?).  One thing he points out is that this incident happened quite a while back and since then the aeroplane has been repaired and that he and his son have continued to travel in it all over Europe. 

To cut to the chase, the actual incident occurs between 04:30 - 07:10.

Auto Translation of French YT channel:

Jun 3, 2020

AKedOLSBTj6dEA0pgPM5xWL3JDLnDBS-tzuH9fqcThe Rotax Call    418 subscribers

34 Comments

PARAVROUM Uzerche
In any case, well done for 2 things! Control of the crash and coolness to the end while also taking the time to talk to the little one! Publication of the video ... 😉

Laurent Raffalli
You are making your son an extraordinary man. Do you realize how much he stores in his little head ?!  

FLYING FUN AND FLY
It's funny I don't have the same vision as you but rather something catastrophic I doubt he is passionate about going back

Benoit_MCR
MCR pilot also on Cholet. Good control in the crash. Glad you and Isaac made it out unscathed. Thanks for sharing this with us because not everyone would have. Yours Benoit

FLYING FUN AND FLY
The MCR is not the safest machine and in addition the lattero in the but is not really the best choice

Benoit_MCR
 @FLYING FUN AND FLY Good evening the MCR 01 VLA (Sportster) can be tricky but the MCR 01 ULC usually isn't. Moreover, not sure that Christophe had much choice to pose with regard to the height at which the failure intervened ... He had had a bad feeling, we see it during the video. Everyone is unharmed and that is the main thing. I honestly don't think I would have done better ... Well done anyway

Franck Prybille
But on the whole you did well all the same. You escaped unscathed your son and you bravo

Eddy Pilot
Bravo for the management of the little one. Before and after the crash you knew how to keep him in confidence, and avoid making him a trauma. And well done for the landing!

Guillaume Gouilly-Frossard
Thank you for this testimony and for putting your ego aside to transmit that when there is a doubt, it is better to abstain.

JPAERO
That is indeed well finished OUF! That said, your wisdom as a pilot would you have encouraged yourself to postpone your flight, to control everything then to do a solo test flight before leaving with a passenger ... good future safe flights ;-)!

Maison André Breton, The impossible rose
Conclusion: when an engine behaves badly, especially when cold, you never take off without a thorough check in the hangar ... basic safety in aeronautics safety is not luck like here ... thank you for think of those who could have picked up 2 corpses ... including that of a kid ... never leave if there is any doubt

FLYING FUN AND FLY
I also share this point of view it makes me angry to see this as an example not to do ... yet the guy has a few hours of flight and a pax who is also his son

Chris D
I admire the cold sense, especially with the little guy. I admit I had a little tear in the pose ....

It was a long time ago ... Since the plane has been repaired and the duo travel all over Europe aboard the MCR 01

Pascal Guery
This proves that .. When we ask ourselves the question, we do not take off 🙂 In any case, happy that it did not have more consequences than mechanics, and a little self-love 🙂 A beautiful lesson for the pilot, and memories for the passenger!

FLYING FUN AND FLY
I share your paschal opinion the slightest doubt and it's back to the hangar to look for the curious problem the stubbornness of this pilot with his own son

Oumi Knight
 30 seconds between the engine noise and the forced landing, did you have the parachute option in your head before choosing the cornfield?

not for a second, I thought of the parachute ...

Minceminet 87
 @The Call of Rotax  It was way too low anyway ...

Gust David
not very normal that he took off in the same condition.

Jean-Louis Tasiaux
OMG So it was good because of the humidity in the carbs?

Jean-Louis Tasiaux And yes !!!

Essylu splash
How did you avoid that ???

PARAVROUM Uzerche
 @Plouf Essylu  On DR-400, bleed before each flight, but I don't know if it exists on this type of engine (Rotax 9012?)?

Nanterre 38
Pb known from Rotax. We had a lot of similar breakdowns on a WT9 plane because of the carburetor needle problems. Ditto on the Sportstar club school where there is no longer any solo release. We sell them for DR401 with good old puncture-proof Lycoming. Last of the WT9, crossing the Mediterranean towards Calvi. Engine failure at the bottom ... Engine cut downwind with a former Rafale pilot instructor. He wet his shirt to bring him back. A colleague saw the engine stop while entering the runway ... I had started my qualification on this plane and I quickly gave up, even if it has a parachute.

FLYING FUN AND FLY
 @Nanterre 38  it is not general on WT9, the ULM version no problem

Nanterre 38
 @FLYING FUN AND FLY The mechanics of the flying club have been trained and have taken over the carburetion maintenance themselves. It seems to be better now. I hope Rotax injection is less of a problem.

Benoît Cocheteux
Glad that it ended well ... Is there a reason why the flight was still undertaken despite the engine misfires at the run-up?

FLYING FUN AND FLY
Same opinion as you

Franck Prybille
It shows well It is necessary I liked Neglected the mechanics I think that had to make a carbu icing. Could have put the chip in your ear Unexpected starts Do you purge the gasoline tanks And before taking off you should have pushed your engine to 5000 And see if he had continued to make hell. And if yes. Interrupt the flight dismantle carburetors and clean. Conclusion for me it's a human factor

Masked Raptor
No comment, a beautiful demonstration of a badger with a disproportionate ego, unconscious and criminal!

ALPHAULM
yes, you are right, this guy is very ill

FLYING FUN AND FLY
Lol there are still suicide bombers in France I did not know that it was possible this kind of video which at least has the merit of telling people: do not be like me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...