DIY Oxygen

Ian

Hi All,

I saw this article in the Kitplanes magazine and wondered if anyone in the community used oxygen on a regular basis and had put together their own kit or purchased a complete assembly. How much and how accessible were refills and did it sit unused or was it a considered piece of safety equipment which provided you with additional options. What size cylinders provide the most utility?

I also saw this article written about the use of pressure demand systems however I can't quite see that use case in the near future. I do like the approach, qualifications and experience of the author though.

Edited by Ian
removed typo

Slightly off topic !.

But

I aquired a ' emergency resuscitate machine ' With an oxygen bottle, the bottle was packed in a cardboard aerated box.

It was Never used or wanted to be used !.

That o2 bottle is probably available tobay. At eBay $65 for deposable bottle.

spacesailor

There are risks with using straight Oxygen.  A diluter/demand system is  used in pressurised cockpits for depressurisation  situations. The drop down masks are used for the PAX..  RPT cabins get to about 8500 ft Cabin altitude and that doesn't affect too many people.  I regularly went to FL 175 in PNG unpressurised with O2 available but never used it. Being young helped.   Planes that regularly fly over the Rockies in northern USA have oxygen  systems fitted usually. Some countries it's FL 120 and others 10,000ft to require oxygen IF you are mucking around at these levels you should understand HYPOXIA and it's effects.  You do all this for a pressurisation endorsement including a stint in a Baro Chamber.Nev

• Like 1

My understand is that a diluter/demand system with a mask can also be used be in unpressurized aircraft to 40,000 feet and that this doesn't require a pressurisation endorsement if your plane can fly that high. However just because it's so doesn't make it safe and risk free. There's also a good report here in relation hypoxia in flight https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/1999/aair/aair199902928/tab-abstract/

From the attached CASA document.

Demand regulator: This type can be further divided into pressure demand and diluter demand type regulators. Diluter-demand and pressure-demand masks supply oxygen only when the user inhales:

• o Diluter-demand system: as the altitude increases, ambient pressure (and therefore the partial pressure of ambient oxygen) decreases, the oxygen flow increases such that the partial pressure of oxygen is roughly constant. Diluter-demand oxygen systems can be used up to 40,000 ft.
  • o Pressure-demand system: the oxygen in the mask is above ambient pressure, permitting breathing above 40,000 ft but as the pressure inside the mask is greater than the pressure around the user’s torso, inhalation is easy, but exhalation requires more effort.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know where the baro chambers are in Australia and how much it is to do a stint in one. It might be a good birthday gift for some pilots, especially if there's video footage. 

DESIGN-AND-FITTING-OF-OXYGEN-SYSTEM.PDF

Edited by Ian

It was Pt Cook in my day but there was one in Perth as I took a person suffering from the Bends from Christmas Island to there in the late 80's maintaining the Cabin at sea level. To do that I could not fly above FL 170. Nev