Inflight Safety Culture

Kelvin

Seriously.

Chris, (bushpilot) I know you are fair dinkum, but YOU are still in charge. You cannot blame anyone else for you getting in trouble, even with weather. There is more good info out there than when I started, so you are better off. There was a fair bit of luck in my survival in the first 500 hours of VFR flying, and I realised that if I continued to operate in the environment that I was in, the numbers had to come up BAD one day for me, (which is what you are saying). You (the pilot) were trying to get the customer there, even if the conditions were known to be marginal at the outset, that was what was done.

As a recreational pilot, you are not under any great pressure,(unless self-imposed) to fly under conditions which you don't like or feel you can cope with. Learn about meteorology, You can never know too much about it. Weather can play strange tricks on you, The more you are aware the better you are prepared.

You do better landings when you can see the ground that you are landing on, and when you have the engine running, ie Not out of fuel. Keep these options open when possible. Nev...

Inflight Safety Culture.

Kelvin,

What you say is fine and I`ve looked at those issues many times,We all need to remember however that we are talking about recreational flying and every time a pilot decides to go flying he or she makes a conscious decision to do so,there is no reason for going other than the pilot wants to, therefore it is up to the pilot in comand to take all the factors into consideration and act accordingly.

Fair enough, we need to know that the aircraft are designed to a safe standard and as far as I`m aware CASA. has done this,it is up to the pilot to maintain that standard.

As for wheels collapsing from landing on unsuitable landing areas, I don`t think too many aircraft will survive,unscratched,from landing on unsuitable terain, again pilot error,ask everyone to fly within gliding distance of a suitable landing area and I`ll bet you most will say " If we do that we`re too restricted to where we can go".

I don`t believe there`s any safety system that can protect people from themselves and after all we`re talking about adults who are intelligent enough to obtain a pilots licence and therefore in my opinion should be intelligent enough to make the right decisions.

Frank. 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

Thanks Paul (shfts64),

I have downloaded the final report on VH-CIV with some obvious intrebidation, having known the test pilot professionally for a short time. The cause elements (3) have been captured under the "analysis" tab. Someday, I may seperate them as they stand into design, environment and behaviour cause elements to better understand the critical links and impact between the three.

Kelvin (with a long way to go and appreciative of the willing help so far)

'

Call for innovation on the roads as in the air.

Thanks Ben,

When you think about road transport where we travel towards each other, seperated by a white line most of the time and with a possible head-on impact of 200kph, there's some obvious work still do do on design and environment accident cause analysis and prevention, big time. Let alone the behaviour element. I wonder if the radio communicatios we use on pending enviromental changes, confirming we've seen each other and what we are intending do at any given time could, in some way, be adapted to road users to improve road safety? The innovator who gets that one right I suspect is going to retire gracefully sooner than later.092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif

Kelvin.

Hi Kelvin,

As a wife that loves to spend time flying, but doesn't have a licence, I think that it just takes time to get comfortable with the plane and the pilot. Having flown with Matt from when he first learnt (I was his first passenger!) to now, 8 or 9 years later, just understanding what is going on and the things he is thinking about as we fly along makes me comfortable. When we got the CT4 I was uneasy flying for while until I got used to the plane and it's charateristics, but now I feel much safer in the air than on the highway!

There have been many accidents where the pilot was very experienced and I've asked why? how could that happen to someone with so much knowledge? and I have resigned myself to the fact that an accident can happen to anyone, at any time, and all you can do is your absolute best to be safe and make good decisions.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Kaz

Thanks Kaz,

While you may well be an angel without wings, your 'insider' comments underscores all the recent encouragment freely given through this forum to my idol and I.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Kelvin (with a long way to go, with my angel)

Guest airsick

This doesn't go all the way in terms of addressing your initial post but it might help a little. Temora Aero Club runs a course called the POPE Course - Partners Of Pilots Emergency Course. Although I don't like the name (as it implies it is only useful during an emergency) the course helps partners feel comfortable in the cockpit and gives them a basic understanding of what is going on.

The details are here - http://www.temoraaeroclub.com/tft/pope.htm

Other schools probably have something similar so it might be worth a quick look around.

Kaz,

Your attitude is great,the best way to be good and comfortable about what we do is to learn and understand as much as we can about what we do.

Frank.

My trick for staying out of trouble is to always be un-noticed. It is the cowboys who draw all the attention to themselves. To be the talk of the clubhouse you only have to do something stupid, but to be considered a safe flyer takes time and keeping your head down.

Thanks airstick,

What a great idea for limited but essential training with Partners of Pilots Emergency Course. This initiative goes a long way to addressing Inflight Safety Culture and has to be well worth effort. The outcomes would centre squarely on fear reduction and increased team-based competence. I'll be making enguiries through my CFI and go from there.

Kelvin (with a long way to go, but less than I started from my first post 4 days ago)

No

Problem kelvin glad i could help.

i understand where you are comeimg from i suffer from confidence problems myself. i would advise not read to many crash reports. you will think about these type of thing instead of the more important things like enjoying your flying.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

After reading the Aviation Safety Investigation Report - Final, I suspect my CFI, if he could, would say something like,

"You dont have to be unduley concerned about how I got into difficulties, because your not intending to work with experimental aircfraft as I was went things went wrong" So, with that in mind I'll get back into the air with sufficient confidence to really enjoy all the challanges as they come along.

Kelvin (wth along way to go, but looking forward and not back)