Press Release from Senator Rex Patrick

PLEDGE TO FORCE A SWITCH TO US REGULATIONS IN RESPONSE TO GENERAL AVIATION 'MAYDAY' CALL

1 May 2022:

Independent Senator Rex Patrick has today pledged to introduce a Bill into the 47th Parliament that would require the Civil Aviation Safety Authority to abandon its complicated, overly duplicated and burdensome home-grown General Aviation regulations and, instead, switch to US Federal Aviation Authority regulations.

FB_IMG_1651489722998.jpg

Edited by trailer

Easy for any Member to introduce a Bill; very difficult for an Independent or Minor Party to get the support to get it through both Houses of Parliament, so it's a big mountain to climb.

Then there's the "grass is greener" story coming from older Australian pilots and owners, where they haven't done their research and don't realise that today's FAA is not yesterday's FAA where I once booked an aircraft hire, drove out to the airport, and the operator, on the phone, threw me the keys and said "it's the green one" for a flight through Nevada to Utah, me being an Australian with no US flying credentials. Today the US is steadily updating to the same ICAO standards as we are.

Then there's the reason CASA is caSa which seems to be the root cause of all the squealing. It's based on Australian Law which is slightly different to US Law. Technically it would be less expensive for the taxpayer if Australia was to shut down the prescriptive laws which CASA is obliged to administer, and say "There you are, it's all yours, fly at your own risk.", but politically that's not sustainable.

Then there's the motive for such a statement.

• Informative 1