Winglets dont make it pretty...

Guest Andys@coffs

The winglets were added to increase the drag profile, clearly there isnt enough drag already on that machine, what with the clean lines and lack of added things in the slipstream

Andy

But mostly to reduce the wing tip vortex and reduce droplet entrapment in the vortex and thus reduce drift, and allow an increase swath. Typically at least in these environmentally conscious times boom width is as little as 60% of wing span for this very reason.

Ipanema is pretty much a Brazilian derivative of the Piper Brave, or a Brave with a Brazilian

It runs on 100% ethanol as do most of the cars in Brazil.

And in doing so perpetuates the spiral decline of biodiversity by ensuring more land is cleared for crop production to fuel the plane that sprays the crop that burns the fuel.

Wonderfully ingenious those humans. 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

And in doing so perpetuates the spiral decline of biodiversity by ensuring more land is cleared for crop production to fuel the plane that sprays the crop that burns the fuel.Wonderfully ingenious those humans. 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

I was going to mention that. It should be called the Embraer "Paradox".

Guest ozzie

Last year i was curious about this ethanol stuff and ultralight engines, so emailed some flyers in Brazil to find out what they run their rotaxes on. had a couple of replies and either blended or or neat ethanol where used. they don't speak much english so don't know how the engines were setup.

as a coincidence ethanol in rotax engines will be disscussed on www.ultraflightradio.com this week.

early eighties 2 rag and tube ultralight flew across the USA and stopped off at EAA headquarters at Oshkosh and they converted (rejet)1 to run on ethanol and with ground crew carrying the fue,l out performed the other all the way to the east coast.

interesting times ahead.

ozzie

I spent some time in Brasil recently and rented a brand new VW Gol which didn't care what you put in it. All Petrol, all alcool, half-half - whatever. I still have trouble reconciling the fact that half the world is starving, and yet we keep increasing the amount of land that can sustain crops so that more of it can produce fuel for our SUVs. It seems immoral.

Brasil is larger than Australia by a fair bit, and has much more arable land. Surely it can be put to better use. I speak conversational Portuguese and love the country and the people - nothing against them. It is a global problem. While there are national and corporate interests driving things, it will only get worse.

Surely someone on this forum has the answer.

Hint - it isn't 42.

But mostly to reduce the wing tip vortex and reduce droplet entrapment in the vortex and thus reduce drift, and allow an increase swath. Typically at least in these environmentally conscious times boom width is as little as 60% of wing span for this very reason.Ipanema is pretty much a Brazilian derivative of the Piper Brave, or a Brave with a Brazilian

Of course, silly me:blush: . I was wondering what the tips were for, obvious really.

Maybe it requires a brave Brazilian to fly it. Given the occasional fun we had with Pawnees on mogas I would think this could get jolly entertaining on a hot day.

Not sure what the vapour pressure of ethanol is must be reasonable if their using it.

Can recall a 260hp Pawnee dying during the middle of a spray run one day due to mogas vapour lock, management wouldn't believe me, thought I must have imagined the engine failure and being stuck in the middle of a 40ha oat crop. By the end of the week when 3 more Pawnees fell out of the sky and the PW1340's where running a bit woolly, I moved up one rank from dumb to just dim.

All traced to the last import of super fuel into the country, Reid Vapour pressure index through the roof, probably a blend, bit of old thinners, bit of acetone, splash of toluene, sprinkle of TEL and a dash of original super fuel.

M