VDO Rev counter hour meter

Some are repairable, some may be not. A lot depends on how the front glass is attached and how the gauge is assembled. Some are difficult to disassemble. A crimped metal bezel is the worst to deal with.

I have repaired a mechanical pressure gauge with a crimped bezel, that an instrument repair company didn't want to touch. The job demanded great care in easing up the bezel crimp. You don't have to open it right up.

To properly close back a crimped bezel, you really should have a little machine that rolls the crimp back tightly - but the bezel can be uncrimped and recrimped just using gentle manual force, if you're careful.

The problems are not only in trying to get a good seal with the recrimping, but also not damaging the bezel surface, if it's painted (and many are). There's some YouTube videos of boat owners carrying out LCD replacement on VDO tachos, but they're a different style of tacho in their construction to your style.

http://www.akspeedo.com/vdo-lcd-repair.php

Edited by onetrack

Thanks for your  info , if I can disassemble could you advise as where I purchase a new lcd screen and cable and perhaps even a model type number

many thanks

Rod

I've had problems trying to find that exact model of tacho in the VDO online catalogues. All the VDO gauges normally have a P/No or model number stamped on the rear of the gauge somewhere.

Obviously, it's a dedicated aircraft/Rotax VDO gauge, and it appears it's only available from aviation parts suppliers. As a result, it may not have a VDO P/No., because it's not a standard VDO gauge.

Regardless, it's quite likely the guts of the tacho is a standard VDO tacho guts, the face has simply been produced to order, to suit aviation requirements.

I'd suggest the instrument people below are worth contacting, they carry out all types of gauge repairs, and if you feel confident enough to attack the repair yourself, it's highly likely they'll be able to supply the LCD screen.

However, as with every repair, one has to be careful the repair costs don't exceed the replacement cost of a new gauge, otherwise it's a useless exercise to proceed with the repair.

I'd suggest that's the reason the boat owners are displaying the DIY LCD repairs, as giving the gauge to an instrument repair company to replace the LCD screen, would quite likely see the labour cost exceed the cost of a new gauge.

http://www.howardinstruments.com.au/page/Gauge-Repairs/

Edited by onetrack

14 hours ago, Rodr said:

have lost the hour meter reading while the rev tachometer still works

Can this be repaired or or is it a throw away?

6DF5957F-55D3-4313-8ED5-338F2FEDEE6E.jpeg

You could fit a Hobbs meter running of regulator 'L' terminal, if you do you could run the hobbs off 12 volts and bring it uo to your engines current hours; then all readings will be accurate.

• Like 1

Cheers for that info I will try and find a cost of replacement first , it came with a wiring loom for Savannah Rotax and i have it fitted to Replica Moth !

• Informative 1