changeing from RAA back to GA

shafs64

There is a lot of talk of people changeing from GA to RA.

But if you started in RA and got all your endorsments and then when for you PPL what do yo think they would make you do the whole thing from the start.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Just flicking through my logbook now, and based on 2002 vintage, here's what to expect:

1. Apply for a Student Pilot Licence and get Class 2 Medical

2. Aircraft conversion (5-10 hours of solo and dual time)

3. GFPT (1 hour with CASA testing officer)

4. Nav and Controlled Airspace (CTA & GAAP) (5-10 hours of solo and dual time)

5. PPL / BAK theory exam (via internet)

6. PPL Flight Test (3 hours with CASA testing officer)

Expect to take 20-25 hours flying for the conversion - the GA syllabus is more comprehensive than the RA syllabus.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Matt.

Guest brentc

There's another good thread on this elsewhere. Can someone search better than I can?

If I can add to Matt's post though that GFPT is not necessarily required.

The transition might be something like this:

RA-Aus cert with no Navs ----> GFPT

RA-Aus cert WITH Navs ------> PPL

If you're comfortable with your RA-Aus flying and Navigation, good with the radio etc you might transfer across very quickly, especially if you pick up the controlled airspace parts quickly. I did my conversion in only several hours straight to PPL, however I did have a fair few RA hours.

Additional to Matt's post, you'll need 2 hours of instrument which can be completed in RA if you wish or possibly a certified simulator for part of it.

As far as I understand they don't recognise any RA written exams in place of PPL exams. They only recognise total flying hours. They have to recognise the hours its part of casa directives.

Also it helps if the GA school you go to is comfortable with the RA school you came from. Then they have a much better idea of the quality of pilot.

So if you can do your gfpt in 3-4 hours then so be it. If you can do your navs in another 10-12 hours, great. Then you have BAK, PPL written exams to contend with.

I would budget about 20 hours of flying time plus exams.

Also you should consider the quality of GA instruction you are getting.

I have a RAA pilots cert, but when studying, did the PPL theory exam instead of the RAA one to cut out that step if I decided to go GA one day. Just an idea,

Ok

Thanks for your help guys. i have already done most of the study for PPL i have a GFPT. And have done some of the navs. But that was four years ago. i am in two minds about going back to GA at the moment. what i was thinking was to get My RA endorsment then finish my GA later if i need it.

Paul

Hi Paul,

That is what I did some years ago.

Going down memory lane I have my old Student pilots licence, the tear out page and my original PPL licence in the hard bound green pocket folder, thanks for triggering the search for them.

bob.

Guest Ideal Line
Hi Paul,1. Apply for a Student Pilot Licence and get Class 2 Medical

2. Aircraft conversion (5-10 hours of solo and dual time)

3. GFPT (1 hour with CASA testing officer)

4. Nav and Controlled Airspace (CTA & GAAP) (5-10 hours of solo and dual time)

5. PPL / BAK theory exam (via internet)

6. PPL Flight Test (3 hours with CASA testing officer)

I am about to embark on my own conversion, and that is the exact route I had in mind.

If you have done a lot of navs then the GFPT you can skip, Just need to worry about the CTA stuff..I can't see it taking 20 hours .. You need to do the BIF of course and some radio nav stuff which can be done on a simulator..We have a VH registered jabiru aswell as an RAA one so can forget about conversion time.. Its really just a matter of filling in the balnks from teh RAA syllabus

and doing the exam's..

cheers

Hi Paul,That is what I did some years ago.

Going down memory lane I have my old Student pilots licence, the tear out page and my original PPL licence in the hard bound green pocket folder, thanks for triggering the search for them.

bob.

Hi Bob,

I guess that there are still some of us left with that little green book with the tear out pages (or removal at least) and provision for the medicals that would never fit properly in the back of it.

At least it gave us a ANR basically for life, a bit like the mark of the Devil.

Regards,

Rick-p

PS Sorry to hear about the demise of the love of your life.087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

Hi Paul,

I completed BAK & PPLA nav theory 16 years ago but due to business pressures completed no flight time. CASA has me on their data base and the completion of that theory was accepted by RA-Aus without further study or exams. I am now training in a Jab 55 and if I decide to progress to PPL will train with a Jab VH & expect it would not take long but at this time will probably do so only if there is a benefit that I need.

Clive

Guest brentc

Have you done the required Nav with the minimum leg for GA, it's 180 miles from memory with a stop or two? If so and it's in your log book then in theory you have likely covered the requried Nav's for PPL. Then it would be a flight test and exam and you're done and dusted if you think you can convince the CFI of your competence! Are you wanting to do controlled airspace too, because that will take a it of extra flying no doubt?