Mid-air in New Zealand 2019 - Final TAIC Report Released

This fatal incident happened at my local airfield. It still affects our aero club and community. The circuit at uncontrolled aerodromes can be the most dangerous phase of our flights. Please read and hopefully take some learning away. Safe flying.

https://www.taic.org.nz/inquiry/ao-2019-006

• Informative 5

On 03/11/2022 at 9:14 PM, kiwiaviator said:

This fatal incident happened at my local airfield. It still affects our aero club and community. The circuit at uncontrolled aerodromes can be the most dangerous phase of our flights. Please read and hopefully take some learning away. Safe flying.

https://www.taic.org.nz/inquiry/ao-2019-006

One of our Aero Club members died in this very sad incident, unnecessarily😔

9 hours ago, Bosi72 said:

The key recommendation is the "Standard overhead join", as per 013/22.

Agree however the standard overhead rejoin is unsafe with meatbombs descending onto a DZ on the airfield. The more I think about it, the more I believe that the DZ should not be permitted on multiuse airfields. The other consideration with overhead rejoins is that there is still an element of risk with multiple aircraft arriving overhead at 1500' AGL.

....a small point, but the club I'm with strongly encourages flying a minimum of 3 legs of the circuit at any uncontrolled airfeld.   

Of course communication is key.  I've flown into a number of airfields with active jump aircraft operating and always sorted out separation over the radio.

Maybe I'm a bit sensitive to this as years ago, I was called in as a witness to a court case involving a jump aircraft scaring the crap out of multiple students at a particular ALA.  The ALA and flying school operator banned the jump school which then sued the ALA operator for denial of access.

CC