Removing garmin aera 660 from panel

Hi, my new J230 has a garmin aera gps map system and it worked fine till now.

Here's the first problem....  I can't get it out! I rang the previous owner and he said there is a small lever at the back near the top  which needs moving to the left then the gps pops out.

Can anybody who knows please help?

4 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Hi, my new J230 has a garmin aera gps map system and it worked fine till now.

Here's the first problem....  I can't get it out! I rang the previous owner and he said there is a small lever at the back near the top  which needs moving to the left then the gps pops out.

Can anybody who knows please help?

Ring Jab at Bundy if not out yet. Cheers

• Informative 1

Thanks onetrack and blue...   I did find the airgismos thing but it is what i'd buy and not what is in there....  and blue, no I haven't asked jabiru yet but I will tomorrow if you reckon they will know...

thanks, Bruce

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Thanks onetrack and blue...   I did find the airgismos thing but it is what i'd buy and not what is in there....  and blue, no I haven't asked jabiru yet but I will tomorrow if you reckon they will know...

thanks, Bruce

Maybe if a standard item.  Looking at the manual onetrack sent link for looks like just need to slide the upper retainer to have it release.  Sometimes tight clips are difficult.  I had to remove a yellow clip in my patrol to fit a cruise control to the steering wheel.  I pulled hair out a few times.  Read forums etc and finally got it to release.  I then posted images to assit other on the patrol forum.  Sort of adding to helpful info that has helped me in the past.  Back to your task looks to me that you just need to slide the slider over fully and then try an prise it out carefully without marking the case or push out.  May be a two person thing.  Best wishes and look forward to hearing you have it out.

• Agree 1

I finally got it out! yes, there is a locking arrangement at the top center just as I was told. The part you push on was bigger than I thought , it was a small plate about 7mm by 15mm.

When this is pushed, as blue says, the unit can be carefully prized out.

I've got it home right now and the battery charges up with a usb connector so the downloaded manuals can be read and played with. It has a simulator mode so you can have a good play on the ground.

Taking it out was harder than I thought. I took out the screws attaching an aluminium frame mount and this enabled  just enough freedom for poking of the release plate with a bit of wire.

Hopefully, now I know how it mounts, it will be easier in future.   Thanks for the help and encouragement guys.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1