New Savannah S build Florida USA

gary nelson

Step 1: Create short titles for your posts.

Welcome to the forum. No doubt a Moderator will edit the title for you. From now on simply look for your thread and open it.  Below other people's posts, you will see your name on the left of a blank space. Just go into the big post and type in your response.

Hi Gary, and welcome. Great to see another S coming together, and looks like you're well into it!

Yep, this can be a big site to find your way around. A couple of good options:
1. Go to Forums, scroll down there and you will find one of the forums with all different types of aircraft named, including Savannah. Lots of Savannah stuff there
OR

use the search function at the top of the screen.

I found this site invaluable during my build, had an old laptop on the bench so that I could access pics and info from other builders, also post queries. Lots of folk here happy to pitch in. And you can PM (Private Message) using the envelope on the left of the screen if you just want to message to someone here rather than making a general public post.
Keep us posted on your progress, and be sure to post pic when you get air under the wheels.

Thanks old man emu, I will eventually learn the protocol. 

All of the other subassemblies are done and waiting to go to the paint shop along with the fuselage, which is getting close. But, I can't visualize how the flap jig is attached so as to set the angles initially. I guess the wings, flaps, and ailerons need to be mounted before this is even considered. IBob, your description of the SF341 acting merely as a pivot is an elegant and succinct explanation immediately understood-thanks again.

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the forum. You have navigated the site satisfactorily to post in the appropriate forum. As you have no doubt noted in other topics, this site is based in Australia although it has a US dot.com URL, but international members are more than welcome. As you can see, I have edited your topic title.

For asking questions regarding things relating to FAA rules and regulations etc., there is a US/Canada General Discussion forum where other US members can best answer your queries. Feel free to participate in any topic that interests you.

1 hour ago, gary nelson said:

Thanks old man emu, I will eventually learn the protocol. 

All of the other subassemblies are done and waiting to go to the paint shop along with the fuselage, which is getting close. But, I can't visualize how the flap jig is attached so as to set the angles initially. I guess the wings, flaps, and ailerons need to be mounted before this is even considered. IBob, your description of the SF341 acting merely as a pivot is an elegant and succinct explanation immediately understood-thanks again.

Hi again Gary, you're absolutely right:
you will mount the wings, then attach the flaperons to the wings, bolting them to the pivot arrangements at the fuselage, which are connected to the control rods that go down to the main flaperon crank. You will drill and bolt the inner to the outer flaperons to give washout on the outer flaperons, as per the manual.
At this stage your flaperons are all assembled and functional from the stick.
With the stick centered, then hard left, then hard right, you will check the flaperon deflection, using the big gauge supplied with the kit, which just sits on top of the wing. If adjustment is required, you will extend or shorten the control rods by screwing an end out or in.
And you will also use the same gauge to check flaperon deflection when half and full flaps are engaged.
You'll find it very straightforward once you get to it.

A word on the flaperon-to-wing pivot points (4 per side). These use little bushes, bolts and washers, and should be set up like a wheel bearing: nipped up so just slightly tight, then backed off just enough to allow free movement. This keeps the assembly snug between the washers on either side, and holds the pivot bolt straight, greatly reducing wear of the bush.