MY FIRST FLIGHT INTO CAMDEN

Aussie Steve

I flew into Camden on Saturday for the first time ! 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

I flew in there from YKAT (Katoomba) with Mike Fines in his Gazelle 24-3505.

It was a magnificent day for flying and we headed down there at about 13:30.

We flew direct and arrived in the circuit around 30 mins later.

I must admit, I was a bit daunted by the traffic at first, there were 3 planes in the circuit a helicopter inside the circuit, a plane doing aerobatics straight above us, and to top it off, gliders taking off and landing, plus it was my first encounter with ATC :confused:

It was, I must say, scary. In the back of my mind there was the stories I have recently read here about the near misses there and trying not to let them rattle me. With Mike coaching me through it all.. everything went very smoothly. The tower were most obliging and after our first landing we taxied in for some fuel and then took off and did 4 touch n go,s. then headed off from crosswind back for home.

It was most exhilarating. Cant wait to get back down there and do some more :big_grin:

Guest Macnoz

I love Camden

It is a great platform for a soft transition from RAA into GA should you so wish.

As Motza says Dave, Rhoda and the gang at Gostner are very welcomning.

When you have done a few hours there on 06 keeping eyes and ears open for traffic on 10 sharing the same envelope on short finals you will be ready for anything

I wish I had known because I was there!! Let me know next time you head into Camden and I'll say hi.

It might seem daunting but really it is not, the controllers are VERY friendly and helpful (unless there is the odd one from out of town) so if ever you are unsure, just talk to them and they will help you.

I love the place. There's always something interesting going on, and the field itself is quite a pretty place compared to many airfields.

What about those flying ant bugs? Maybe it was just me. They flocked to my yellow aircraft and left the boring white Cessnas alone. They must have thought she was a flower! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif (Either that or they know a good aircraft when they see it!)

Thx guys for the invites. I will definitely look you up next time.

I was having a look at the VH rego Jab outside Gostner while waiting for the bowser. Looked like the one that a Qantas pilot did a prop strike at Katoomba a couple of years ago. He landed extra extra long on the cross strip leaving only about 200 mtrs to pull up in. He nearly managed it.Ended up in the grass and rough. Damage was slight but enough to necessitate a prop change and overnight stay.

The Gazelle I was flying was a yellow one Mazda.. I didn't notice any unusual bug activity. Must be your animal magnetism 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Steve, I'm really pleased that you enjoyed Camden so much.

My OH was one of the three in the circuit when you came in - he waved to you when he taxied past and you were at the bowser. (He says the Gazelle is the wrong yellow for attracting bugs!)

IMG_0352.jpg.9aa825ad58b548c04ba2344710261756.jpg

Steve,

Welcome to Camden! Next time you're there, call in and see us at Dent Aviation - the hangar with the flagpole. We've got good coffee, good conversation and good advice.

Smoko is 0900, and lunch is 1245 weekdays. We can offer you a choice between clean or cracked coffee mugs 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Old Man Emu

Steve, I think you could quite happily drop in to any of the places at Camden and be welcomed. There are lots of things to see and much 'hangar flying' to be done.

I think you are finding out the real danger at Camden. (It has nothing to do with near misses!)

The big problem is that it is such a great place, and everyone is so friendly, that you plan to drop in for just a few minutes and end up staying all day! I've even known people to then be offered a place to stay for the night. The next morning you watch the balloons and a few aeros, and before you know it lunch time arrives. Then someone suggests you stay for a BBQ lunch, and someone else is doing a nav and has a spare seat that afternoon ...

So beware of the danger! Once you start going to Camden, it is very difficult to escape.

Guest Graham Lea

Do the gliders do circuits at 500' or do they do straight ins?

Come to think of it, do most people do three legs onlanding or staight in?

Seeing I will be coming in fairly frequently soon.. :-)

Graham

Graham the gliders seem to have a bit of a problem with circuits - the go arounds are a bit difficult!!! ;)

The gliders operate independently of the fixed wing. They have their own grass strips and they operate to the south of the field, while the runway direction of the power runways keeps you clear of the gliders.

Have a good read of the Sydney Basin guide for Camden before you fly in. It has really good information which is easy to understand. Read the ERSA too but the Sydney Basin guide gives practical advice.

If the tower is active, get the ATIS then fly in from one of the reporting points. I'd suggest Bringelly, Mayfield, or The Oaks. The southern ones of Menangle and Picton mean you have to fly through the gliding area, so you are often asked to track via the Oaks or Narellan anyway.

If you are at Mayfield, you'll probably be asked to join on base and report at 2 miles. Stay at 1,800 feet until you are told you given a sequencing instruction (eg "Number 2, follow the Cessna on final") then you can descend. From Bringelly, you'll either join downwind for 06 or join upwind or final for 24. You'll probably be asked to fly to Oran Park and report there. From the Oaks, you'll join upwind or final for 06, or downwind for 24.

If the tower is not active, you must do 3 legs of the circuit and straight-ins are not permitted, so the best way to join is at circuit height (1300) on mid downwind. There is no dead side at Camden due to the gliders and cross strip. There's often traffic so you can get circuit direction and there is an AWIS when the tower is not operating.

Once you start going to Camden, it is very difficult to escape.

Its definitely a problem - I went there 20 something years ago and have not yet escaped !! In fact one of the reasons we moved out to Wollondilly Shire was to be closer to Camden.

Yep Mazda..It certainly sounds like my kind-a place.

The most annoying thing for me is that until I get my Nav Endorsment I cant fly in there on my own. My 25 mile control-line runs out at "Mayfield" 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif Oh so close but yet....

The only strip that falls into my reach is "St Marys" which my CFI is going arrange for me.

But any how it just means I have to pull my finger out (and the 2Gs its going to cost me 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif ) and get on with the navs.

Guest Graham Lea

Being Raa I can only flyin in when it is not CTA, but that may change within 18 months as we get CTA endorsements. I put my name down for the first...

Funny isn't it.. fly to Dubbo, Wagga etc but Camden is CTA. Being busy seems to be the criteria.

Trying to do more flying this year rather than the target pistol thing at Cecil Park..

Ruthie even got her BFR done last Sunday! (Me too)..

Guest Graham Lea

>

If you are at Mayfield, you'll probably be asked to join on base and report at 2 >miles. Stay at 1,800 feet until you are told you given a sequencing instruction (eg >"Number 2, follow the Cessna on final") then you can descend. From Bringelly, you'll >either join downwind for 06 or join upwind or final for 24. You'll probably be asked to >fly to Oran Park and report there. From the Oaks, you'll join upwind or final for 06, or >downwind for 24.

>If the tower is not active, you must do 3 legs of the circuit and straight-ins are not >permitted, so the best way to join is at circuit height (1300) on mid downwind. There >is no dead side at Camden due to the gliders and cross strip. There's often traffic so >you can get circuit direction and there is an AWIS when the tower is not >operating.[/quote]

Thanks for that! Nothing like a newby stuffing up and calling short final on the glider strip I guess... which may now NOT happen!

See ya there

Graham (& Ruth)

Guest Macnoz

You will find RAA craft / pilots already work in Camden at weekends.

Get a copy of the (free)Sydney Basin Flying guide as it gives the unique procedures for Camden and heaps of other useful info including Victor 1 procedures. you can look it up here

http://www.airservices.gov.au/pilotcentre/training/flyingaround/

I imagine it will get busier there with closure of Hoxton Park this October?

Guest Graham Lea

I think I still have the Guide..

How do the Raa guys do the CTA thing there legally?

I find it weird....

Graham

• 2 weeks later...
Being Raa I can only flyin in when it is not CTA, but that may change within 18 months as we get CTA endorsements. I put my name down for the first... Funny isn't it.. fly to Dubbo, Wagga etc but Camden is CTA. Being busy seems to be the criteria.

Trying to do more flying this year rather than the target pistol thing at Cecil Park..

Ruthie even got her BFR done last Sunday! (Me too)..

hi all if camden is CTA cant we fly in anyway ? i thought we only had to steer clear of GAAP airfields ? or are they the same... how do you know camden is not CTA for the day ? via NOTAMS ?

come to think of it, we can fly into avalon in u/light as long as the airfield is not opperating, once again how do you find out to plan a flight ? NOTAMS ?

i want to eventualy do a couple of flight all over the place but dont want to get into a situation where i get to an airfield and get told to piss off as i am Raa ? scary thought

Please excuse me not knowing much as i am only learning and have a habbit of asking stupid questions. i will be doing nav x soon then all hell will break loose, plan to visit alot of airfields and pick the brains of all you pilots to build up my own personal knowledge base...