MY FIRST FLIGHT INTO CAMDEN

Aussie Steve

Ferret, no question is stupid! ;)

CTA is controlled airspace.

CTAF stands for Common Traffic Advisory Frequency, which means the airport is uncontrolled and is not in CTA. (Confusing?)

Camden is indeed a GAAP, with the tower only operating on weekends (and usually public holidays). The tower hours are in ERSA and any changes are in the NOTAMs.

If in doubt about any airport just phone the airport operator (phone numbers in ERSA) and ask for clarification.

ok so let me see if i have an idea, airports like melton,bacchus marsh,ballarat ect are CTAF which means you must use radio if you have one fitted. CTA would be moorabbin,essendon ect. if the tower is unmanned it is a CTAF ?

i have a couple of maps and a copy of the new ERSA on the way but the new ones are about a week away. then i will be able to have a look and a play, make a dummy flight plan and have people have a look and see if i am doing it right ;)

Guest Macnoz

hello

Also note the difference between CTAF and CTAF® the latter being radio mandatory fixture and use

i have a couple of maps and a copy of the new ERSA on the way but the new ones are about a week away. then i will be able to have a look and a play, make a dummy flight plan and have people have a look and see if i am doing it right ;)

Ferret, you can also download individual airfield charts, etc from the airservices website http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/

thanks guy's i have had a look at the air services web site and some good info there, thanks alot. how does everyone else make flight plans ie; in your head, jot down on paper, ect. i was thinking of making a little sheet which has a detailed description of my flight ect, for example, from here to here at 0930 should be here and 20nm out from here switch to freq 123.45 and at 10nm make call inbound ECT... does this sound over the top ?

Ferret there is no harm at all in writing down where you change frequencies etc.

For me, how I plan depends a bit on where I'm going. If it is a relatively short flight to a familiar destination I might just have the basic info with track, distance time and I'll have the ERSA and maps to check frequencies.

If I'm doing a long trip to unfamiliar destinations I'll use the AirNav VFR software and print out a Flight Schedule. It is fantastic. As well as the usual time/distance on waypoints, it includes the amount of fuel that should remain at each waypoint, the estimated time/distance to change frequencies and navaids, and you can add your own reminders as notes. So if you tend to forget your checks or need a reminder about anything, you can print them on the schedule or on the map. It even calculates the overflying height and circuit height.

You don't need to have the software to make such notes though!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mazda. All things being equal will be in to camden on Wednesday 28th. Late arvo. So I am expecting CTAF not CTA. I will be comming in from Wagga. I am actually more concerned about wagga than camden due to the RPT there! I have never been to either so should be an experience! I have studied ersa and found it good. I have read sydney basin guide but found more detail in ERSA. Any other reading/tips/traps?

Tim

Tim,

Don't sweat too much about Wagga, the RPT are easy to get on with. Just let them know where you are, what your intentions are and have your transponder on. They'll see you on TCAS before you'll see them. Depending on your arrival and departure times, the Unicom operator will keep you informed of what traffic is where.

Don't fear RPT, Talk to them - they're only human.

What time are you estimating arriving at Wagga?

Might wander out to the airport and say G'day.

Cheers,

Steven B.

• 2 weeks later...