Thruster Outings

extralite

You are the first person I've known to find them easy to get the tail wheel on the ground  before the Mains when landjng and risk a bounce Tony Hayes was working on modifying the riggers angle of attack on the Mainplanes when he died.. He ran TOSG. Thruster owners support Group..  I communicated with him a lot on a very  personal basis on many matters.   Aren't you trying to address the same problem by putting extra weight in the tail?  Nev

Edited by facthunter

4 minutes ago, facthunter said:

You are the first person I've known to find them easy to get the tail wheel on the ground  before the Mains when landjng. Tony Hayes was working on modifying the riggers angle of attack on the Mainplanes when he died.. He ran TOSG. Thruster owners support Group..  I communicated with him a lot on a very  personal basis on many matters.   Aren't you trying to address the same problem by putting extra weight in the tail?  Nev

They were originally designed with 8 degrees wing incidence to make them fit within the envelope they were allowed to fly in. I was told that by  someone.

The tail wheel on the ground first part...I have never heard of it being a problem but perhaps others have a different opinion?  Anyone want to comment> It does require progressive stick back until it is all the way back, but that is similar to many tail draggers 

The problem we would like to fix is the nose heaviness due to the extra weight of 582 engines that require constant back trim. It is not bad, but to seek thruster perfection would be for them to fly fairly hands off, neutral trim, around cruise speed.  They will never be totally hands off as they dont seem to be laterally stable.

• Agree 1

Hayes was certainly no  dill. He was eminently qualified to do such an analysis. No one is talking about "hands Off"  They've had 582's in them for ages. The one I flew in 86 had a pull start. Nev

Edited by facthunter

Jesus christ why is everyone so touchy! I never saId he was a dill. Just that in my opinion i dont find it hard to 3 point them. Is that so offensive?

And i dont believe you have flown ours Fact hunter. But you are trying to tell me whether they are in trim or not?

Honestly, i reckon you could say the sky was blue on this forum sometimes and there would be some who say it isnt and be totally offended by the statement. Im done with it..have fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never needed to do a 'wheeler' on any Thruster. As Extralite says the flair requires judgement and a conscious pull back on the stick to plant the tail.

I was a member of TOSG but found very little good info came from it. Was mainly interested in the Swift pod.

Edited by Methusala
Addition

I've got plenty of tailwheel time and know how to suck eggs. Haven't ground looped yet, either. Slack fabric deteriorates a thrusters performance and there's a few poor examples out there  Surely Methusala you'd do a wheeler on a gusty day. That Positive pull back at the end of the flair is done to get the inertia to do the job the elevator is not able to because it's not  effective enough. It's NOT that easy to teach people because it's a bit critical.  Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1