Flap lever internal spring

BillLipson

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Bill;

I saw your post and thought you might want to have a look at a modification (or two) I made on the flap lever and spring following an incident where the original flap lever released during a final approach. I have also added a "Mark Kyle" flap lever bracket as well. The two springs slide over one another and increase the force on the mechanism that locks the lever in position. 

Did someone unscrew the knob from the lever resulting in the loss of the original spring?   (Happened to me a couple of times before I made this modification.)

Fly safely;

CanadaDan

A second spring was added internally to the flap lever push button to help prevent unintentional flap lever release from the locking grooves in the floor-mounted bracket. Additionally, the threaded knob and actuating rod inside the flap lever were through-drilled at the groove of the knob. A pin is kept in place by a suitable O-ring and prevents the knob from being unscrewed unless the pin is removed.

#1.jpg

#2.jpg

#3.jpg

#4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

The flaps  on an Auster don't use any spring and I've never heard of one retracting. The slot must have  such a shape there's no tendency to throw out of it. You manually push it back when you make the selection. It's above you and on the left side but the principle is the same with minimal linkage. Dropping out will have serious consequences  if your speed is back. . U/L's don't think of assymetric Flap either, but it's worth thinking of as you lower flap.  Nev