Rotax 912 coolant. What am I looking for?

danny_galaga

Do you hunt for the cheapest Mechanic when you are getting something fixed?. Most go for the CHEAPEST Airline and that's only your life. Maybe that HOSE meets the condition the Maker wants? OEM it's called. it must be worth something to have the assurance. Nev

• Like 1

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

Do you hunt for the cheapest Mechanic when you are getting something fixed?. Most go for the CHEAPEST Airline and that's only your life. Maybe that HOSE meets the condition the Maker wants? OEM it's called. it must be worth something to have the assurance. Nev

I must missed something. I prefer the Singa bird when I can 😀

6 hours ago, facthunter said:

Yes I generally look for the most cost effective solution. I usually start by getting the OM price,  I then see if I can achieve the same result at a lower price . This is not always the cheapest but will usually be the most cost effective eg I recently has a leak in my Rangers fuel injector return line  - quote from Ford $500 + fitting and no car for a day. Bit of research later, got all the parts I needed for $50 (still expensive for 10 "O" rings / minimum purchase. ). Only one injector return line leaking, took the opportunity to fit new O rings to all five. Job took about 30 minutes and still have 5 O rings on the shelf, if system ever leaks again. 

OEM is great for the non mechanical, the insecure , the rich and the lazy BUT when suppliers add anything from 30-500% (or more) to an item, it seems a little self defeating not to make the effort to see if there is a more cost effective solution.

The beauty of good component suppliers, is you can usually find their specifications on line - find a product that meets/exceeds the OM specifications and you have little to fear by using the aftermarket product.

As for the "... cheapest Mechanic..." No high skill/knowledge rarely comes with the cheapest service provider BUT I still do my research (check reputation etc) before committing. It doesn't always work out - recently waited 3 weeks for a "Gunna" Transponder Technician to do a job for me - bit the bullet and went with the $ X 2 cost crowd and got the job done next day such is life!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I've only met a handful of mechanics I would trust in a lifetime. They generally "Graunch" things every time. I've done most of my own work up till now, but leaning over an engine  for long is more than my back will take. I've worked on OLD stuff a lot but getting people to pay anything like what it is worth is impossible in Australia. USA people have said I'd do well in the states but it's too late for that.  Nev

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

I've only met a handful of mechanics I would trust in a lifetime. They generally "Graunch" things every time. I've done most of my own work up till now, but leaning over an engine  for long is more than my back will take. I've worked on OLD stuff a lot but getting people to pay anything like what it is worth is impossible in Australia. USA people have said I'd do well in the states but it's too late for that.  Nev

Well Nev - you & me. I have worked in agriculture all my adult life and there is one thing that most  "farmers" are good at & that's giving it a go.  Needs must in the bush and along with those in similar circumstances, at one stage or another,  I have tackled almost every job, trade & profession (not the oldest😄). Very hard & expensive to get tradies & professionals out, when you live & work many hours from the nearest population centre. Mind you I wouldn't have it any other way - have loved the challenges.

• Like 2