Savannah S Toe brakes - brake line routing

BC0979

Hello from sunny Florida.

You all have been very helpful in the past few months supplying valuable info that "the manual" has not.

Working on the brake lines. Adding a Matco dual line park brake.

Need your input on how the brake lines should be run from the toe brake cylinders knowing that the rudder pedals will also move the brake lines. I am worried about this back and forth movement on the nylon tubes.

ICP supplied right angle connectors for each cylinder.

IBob to the rescue again!!!!

From your pic, you just tie wrapped the nylon tubes to the side rail.

Then up to your park brake mounted to the triangle corner brace of the instrument panel. Nicely done and straight forward.

Thank you.

IBob is the man.  Without his help my 701 wouldn't be as far along.

Bob, how is the park brake done?  Is it just a tap between the hoses so you push your toe brakes in then turn it to keep the pressure on the calipers?

BC you will use a lot of rudder, especially on takeoff. The lines from the pedals/cylinders have enough slack in them that they never pull into a tight bend, even with full pedal. And the fittings at the cylinders are cocked forward so that the lines stay forward of the pedals, out of the way.

Marty, yes, it's just a pair of stop valves, ganged together, one for each line. To activate you step on the brake pedals while shutting the ganged valves. Allows you to park with wings level on a slope, so avoiding fuel crossfeed and overflow. But best supplemented with some sort of chocks if the slope is steep or the visit is long.
ICP sell it as an option, comes complete with a steel mounting plate for the ganged valves.

Edited by IBob

I should add that some versions of the parking brake valves are one-way valves , with the brake lever lifting them to become 2-way valves when in the brakes off position.
The brakes are operated by first selecting the brake position on the lever, which makes the internal valves one-way, then stepping on the brake pedals to apply pressure, which is then held by the one way valves until the brakes are turned off, with the lever lifting the one-way valves and making them 2-way.
The gotcha with this setup is that sometimes folk hook them up with the valves the wrong way round. The result then is that pressing on the brake pedals does nothing, as the one-way valves prevent the pressure going to the wheel cylinders. And further, if there is confusion over the lever position, there may be no brakes on landing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BC0979 said:

What did you use? ICP carpet kit?

Yep. It's all precut to shape.

And I used Ados F2 contact adhesive, but with some thinners added: the fumes are bad, you have to wear a mask, but it spreads on easily with a brush that way and allows the piece to be lifted and shifted if necessary. The bond is not as strong as using straight adhesive, but it is more than adequate for carpeting: 4 years on none of mine has come loose.