KY97A radio

Hi folks, my ky97a has lost its screen. I have to ferry the aircraft to Bankstown in the next week or so to get new radio amongst other things. While a handheld will probably work I was wondering if anyone in the Sydney / Camden area had a serviceable ky97a lying round I could borrow ? 

The ky96 will also fit in the same cradle; there may be other Apollo or Bendix units that will also fit the cradle

Edited by Area-51

from the back page of KY97A Pilots guide:

"turning the units on while holding the transfer button down will bring the unit on Active Entry and load 120.00 MHz as the active frequency. This will aid the pilot in blind tuning the radio in case of display failure"

might work together with a handheld as plan B

The panel mount Icom radios might also be slide in rack compatible, I can't remember.

2 hours ago, jetboy said:

from the back page of KY97A Pilots guide:

"turning the units on while holding the transfer button down will bring the unit on Active Entry and load 120.00 MHz as the active frequency. This will aid the pilot in blind tuning the radio in case of display failure"

might work together with a handheld as plan B

The panel mount Icom radios might also be slide in rack compatible, I can't remember.

Thanks for that ! Will give it a go

On 12/1/2024 at 6:40 PM, IanR said:

Hi folks, my ky97a has lost its screen. I have to ferry the aircraft to Bankstown in the next week or so to get new radio amongst other things. While a handheld will probably work I was wondering if anyone in the Sydney / Camden area had a serviceable ky97a lying round I could borrow ? 

Try this…

Phone Bankstown Tower, give them AN ETA and ask permission to come

in NO RADIO.

If you have a Headset with Bluetooth capability you could phone the Tower at one of the reporting points and they will talk you in.

To confirm this,I just phoned the tower and they said no prob!

PM me with your phone number if you want further advice and help

1 hour ago, Roscoe said:

Try this…

Phone Bankstown Tower, give them AN ETA and ask permission to come

in NO RADIO.

If you have a Headset with Bluetooth capability you could phone the Tower at one of the reporting points and they will talk you in.

To confirm this,I just phoned the tower and they said no prob!

PM me with your phone number if you want further advice and help

I have that as a back up - but cant find where they publish a direct number these days.