GA landing options near Geelong?

I am planning a flight to the Geelong area, and would appreciate your recommendations for best airfield to land and leave the plane overnight (RV7-A).

Ideally...

- close to Geelong

- sealed runway or smooth grass or gravel

- safe to leave plane tied down

- avgas available

- car hire nearby

Does Avalon have parking for GA?

Considering Barwon Heads or Torquay and will appreciate any local knowledge and suggestions!

Avalon would let you park there, but getting from and to your plane -security and everything..... good luck. They do not/never did have avgas. Lethbridge is close for fuel. Rental cars - yes. https://avalonairport.com.au/technical-operational-facilities/

Barwon (avgas yes) Lethbridge (avgas yes) and Torq (avgas dunno) - rental cars: nowhere near them. Closest is Geelong. AVIS is 13km from Barwon H.

Numerous private airfields all over the place down there, no avgas.

Visiting peeps? Touring around by Road?

Any decent car hire operator will arrange to deliver your hired car to your location, if it's not an unreasonable difference.

I even had one car hire operator arrange with an employee to re-open his business after hours at no cost, when I arrived late, and they had shut for the day.

Thanks a lot for all your comments 440032 and onetrack. Lethbridge may be a good option, hadn't considered it yet.

Will be visiting Geelong, then travelling by road. Thanks.

• Like 1

Sorry, I only just realised I put "difference", when it should've been "distance". The time for editing elapsed before I picked it up.

On 07/03/2024 at 11:35 AM, Flyingfish said:

Thanks a lot for all your comments 440032 and onetrack. Lethbridge may be a good option, hadn't considered it yet.

Will be visiting Geelong, then travelling by road. Thanks.

The best thing about Geelong - great kickoff point to places that are actually interesting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1