Compass requirements for 19 rego

In so far as a compass is almost a decoration nowadays, I believe you still need one by law? Id want one anyway, since if all else fails at least you know within say 5° where you are headed.

What are some minimal set ups you guys are using? Has anyone just cable tied an orienteering compass to the top of their instrument panel 🧭 😄

Most interested in pedestal type mount situations. I have a panel mount, but decided against using it. It is for sale by the way 🙂

it's still minimum VFR equipment

Day VFR equipment
Aeroplane – VFR flight by day (CASR 91 MOS 26.06 and 26.10)
An aeroplane flying under day VFR must be fitted with the equipment for
measuring and displaying the flight information as shown in the following Table.
VFRG version 7.1

image.thumb.png.2542dabee9e335343b5daf5dc850100c.png

• Like 1

I guess it comes down to what your definition of a compass is.

My new aircraft does not have a "whiskey" compass BUT does have multiple  GPS compases. For my own piece of mind, I will eventually fit a whiskey compass, however the aircraft has been signed off, as is, by RAA approved inspector.

5 hours ago, RFguy said:

it's still minimum VFR equipment

Day VFR equipment
Aeroplane – VFR flight by day (CASR 91 MOS 26.06 and 26.10)
An aeroplane flying under day VFR must be fitted with the equipment for
measuring and displaying the flight information as shown in the following Table.

That requirement is from table 19 of the VFRG and quite correct, but MOS 26.13 on page 147 of the VFRG gives you some wiggle room depending on your certification.

"Application – VFR flight requirements do not apply to certain light sport aircraft (MOS 26.13)

Light sport aircraft for which a special certificate of airworthiness has been issued and is in force under CASR 21.186, or for which an experimental certificate has been issued and is in force under CASR 21.191, the equipment standards listed in Table 19 and Table 20 do not apply if the aircraft is fitted with equipment which provides a pilot with the same flight and navigation information."

I don't know what your 19-XXXX type is but can be a LSA.

It should be damped and suitable to the Hemisphere you operate in and of being adjusted to a reasonable degree of accuracy and a deviation card filled in.  and not affected by the Aircraft's structure with Power on. So simple and cheap, WHY not have a reasonable one?  You could remove it to walk the rest of the way if you had to.  Navigate comes #2  in flying. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 2