Importing aircraft from the USA

Guest Rocko

Guest Rocko

Hi All

Sure, gonna get yelled at by some people for this, but I know it IS happening. Just wondered if anyone has imported aircraft from the US directly? I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering whether it's cheaper, easier, nastier, etc. How's customs, freight? How'd you do it? Was it all worth it? Would you do it again?

While I'm all for supporting local suppliers, when living in Oz there are price "premiums" and price "PREMIUMS!". Personally, I'm a little sick of bending over and copping "special Aussie prices" on everything, when the dollar is approaching $0.95US, excluding GST, and we should be paying not that much more than our US compadre's. Ian's doing an awesome job bringing down prices on all the "goodies" (and I'm sure we'd all be still paying a lot more if he hadn't competed with the other guys). Now, I'm wondering about the "heavy hardware".

Open to info and suggestions. Please just don't reply with stuff like "Support Aussie dealers" or "You won't get the same service". We've all heard it before. Not interested then, still not interested now, thanks, maam! ;>

Scotty

Hello, I was in contact with Sonex late last year. They quoted me less than $2000 shipping to Fremantle Port. I believe customs slug you GST on everything.

Didn't seem like a big deal. Obviously the kit manufacturers do it all the time.

If you can get two kits shipped together, this could lower the cost by sharing a container.

Those blokes that ordered the Zenith Zodiacs earlier in the year would be your best bet for info.

The Aussie dollar hit 24 year highs against the US dollar today 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif.

My opinion is that the US kits are a steal at the moment.

The exchange rate with the Euro really hasn't moved anywhere favourable.

RJM

Guest pelorus32
Hello, I was in contact with Sonex late last year. They quoted me less than $2000 shipping to Fremantle Port. I believe customs slug you GST on everything.Didn't seem like a big deal. Obviously the kit manufacturers do it all the time.

If you can get two kits shipped together, this could lower the cost by sharing a container.

[snip]

RJM

Just remember that in addition to the price quoted you will likely also have:

• Insurance - if that is for insured shipping it is extremely cheap. Depending on the cost of the kit insurance could add 50-100% to the shipping cost quoted above. Your call about whether you want it but containers do go missing, fall overboard or get otherwise damaged - think water inside;

• Lifting the box off the ship - that's likely to be an FOB price - lifting the box will cost $4-500 depending on whether it's a 20 footer or a 40 footer;

• AQIS fees - start at $150 for a tailgate inspection. If AQIS deem that the container has to go to a Quarantine Approved Premises then you have to pay cartage to get there and then an unpacking fee of $400-700 per container plus AQIS at a minimum of $104. Then you either have to reload the container $$$ or cart the kits away. This is an unlikely requirement if you can show that the kit is factory new and the tailgate inspection shows no concerns. For instance if any of the wood packing material has bark on it then you have problems. If the wood hasn't been treated at source and/or you don't have a certificate to that effect you have problems;

• Freight forwarders' fees - say $150+

• Freight from the wharf to somewhere and then return of the container within 10 days - $300 if it's very close and on upwards depending on where you want to take it. If you don't return the container within 10 days it starts to cost an escalating fee of $USD10 for the first day, quickly rising to $USD50 a day within a few days;

• GST is payable on the total landed cost: that's the cost of the kit, freight and all of the applicable costs above.

The process can either be a piece of cake or a pain in the bum - depends on luck and preparation. AQIS have recently tightened up a bit - enforcing stuff they didn't used to.

Regards

Mike

Guest Rocko

Anyone used an import company who handles all this? I've used such before for other goods, but never something on this scale?

I use a guy named Lachlan at I. H. Hunter who are customs agents and forwarding agents.

He can organise everything including the pickup, transport to the docks, loading, shipping, clearing and final delivery to yourself.

If you are interested his phone number is 03 9330-2033 and tell him Ian Baker from Recreational Flying gave you his number.

He handles all the shop's shipping and clearing and will be handling all the shipping of the Millennium Master to Australia when it is ready.

Disclaimer: He is simply the person that I use

I'm due to pick up my aerovee engine next week ,,,Cost me $370 for freight of 3 reasonable sized boxes ,,$67 for some no idea tax and $970 for gst ,,,(love that one )

I'm going to pick it up from the port so no big deal there ,I just have an address and a date to get it .Sonex organised all freight and paperwork. All I have to do is pay those costs and pick it up.

Rocko

We imported 3 CH601XL kits early this year. We purchaced them through the Australian dealer on the gold coast (Sport Air). The price that we payed was the exact price quoted on the Zenith web site. The day you pay any money to sport air it is credited to your account and adjusted to the US Dollar as per the exchange rate for that day. They do not charge any other fees. We payed sport air in Australian dollars and they did the conversion for us.

To get all three kits from the US to Brisbane was $4711.02 Inc Gst. (this was for two crates). We then insured the whole thing for $63000.00 at cost of $303.00.

The GST on the kits were payed for by Sport Air as this was collected at the time of final payment.

We used C&H freight in Melbourne.

By sharing the cost we each only payed $1671.31 Inc Gst.

From the first contact with the dealer to the final delivery of the kits was very smooth and would certainly do it again using the local dealers.

Ianrat

Hi all. I have just imported a complete Waiex (Sonex with V tail) from California. I used C & H freight in Melbourne and it all went well I had it de-winged and packed in a 20 ft container by itself.elorus32 gave a pretty good breakdown You can call me on 0438508576 if you want any more details