Attributes of an Airman.

In a previous thread on "Is Pilot Error Inevitable" mention was made of,

"Safety science considers human error a consequence, not a cause, ie pilots are the inheritors of an accident scenario not the initiators. In this context it's not remotely compatible with the term 'pilot error' as used by the media" from Flyer40.:thumb_up:

Given we still have our own views on what it means to be a good pilot and what we do constantly to achieve enjoyable flying, we could add them into say "10 Attributes of an Aviator/Aviatrix" as a foundational concept to measure our own values-driven safety culture. An email I'd received this weekend said, "I quoted an instructor of mine who said that 98% of accidents are due to pilot error, I take great comfort in that as I am in control of these factors". Thats a state of mind on a belief that will impact favourably on performance. Convert that into an attribute like, Human Error is Recognised and Controlled, and you have an airman attribute that can be measured, as simple as that. What else do we believe makes us a good pilot?

Kelvin (with a long way to go, to better understand our RAA culture)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good place to start may be, before you do something, think. Would it be OK if my peers saw me do this. Am I setting a good example to others and will others consider me competent. If the answer is no, do I need to do it and usually by that time you will be acting sensibly.

The other thing is when things go pear shaped, think before you act. It only takes a second to think, but the wrong action done without thinking can cause more problems.

Read all the accident reports that you can lay hands on. It is better to let others make the mistakes you can learn from.

I have only damaged an aircraft once and that was by making a quick decision, when the correct one was staring me in the face.

Thanks Ian. There are another couple of airman attributes I'd say, bedded in your examples . If we start with 1. Human Error is Recognised and Controlled (Flyer40) then add:

2. Self-imposed flying discipline is a widespread practice (Yenn).

3. Double checks occur naturally before deciding on an emergency response (Yenn).

Apart from that, there is your willingness to share what you thought led to aircraft damage incident under your control. Priceless, absolutely pricless.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif More details would be of great interest if you have't already mentioned it yet on this forum. Well, thats three aviator attribute with seven to go.

Kelvin (with a long way to go, but three is plenty of light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel)

Qualities desired.

To NOT feel that accidents only happen to others, but be eager to learn from the mistakes and good advice of all, realising that you won't live long enough to learn it all by your OWN mistakes. Nev..

Thanks Neville (facthunter), That's a critical attribute I suspect thats easily overlooked.

If we build upon:

1. Human Error is Recognised and Controlled (Flyer40)

3. Double checks occur naturally before deciding on an emergency response (Yenn). then add:

4. Learning from others experiences is multitudinous (facthunter).

Sorry about the long word there but I did not want to use 'widespread' again. Well, thats four down with six to go. It could get a little more difficult now without doubling up. The next step is to compile a correlation matrix to see how it all stacks up against another 10 values-driven safety (VDS) that is designed in our case to aquire desirable attributes for happy flying.

Kelvin (with-a-long-way-to-go, but happy to share some of the journey)

I think I posted something about my little accident way back, but it is lost in time now, so I will repeat it.

I was flying at Old Station using 09 - 27 strip. Well away from 06 - 24.

Normal practice was to actually land on the taxiway from the hangar to the strip and that was what I was doing with a heavy passenger. There is a very large double gate between taxiway and strip, always closed, so landing has to be completed before you get to the gate.

All went well as usual until I had doubts about stopping before the gate as I had no brakes. Instant decision. Apply power, jump the fence, turn 20 degrees or so and land on 09.

The result is I jumped the fence and while gradually turning, reducing power I found a big mound of soil beside the runway in the long grass, with the Stbd wheel. It really spoilt my day, but no injuries except to pride and wallet.

What I should have done is go around and do the job properly rather than trying to save having to open and close the gate.

Guest High Plains Drifter

Hello Kelvin, I've done some thinking re your PM.

"Important Attributes of an Airman"

First thing - The thread title, perhaps it should read Important Attributes of an Aviator ...we are talking about Rec Av after all - not some glorified computer controlled cattle truck... sorry, airliner. (probably some females will kick up a stink too)

One attribute of an aviator may be the abilitie to accept a degree of risk (where is the wide mouthed GASP smilie?) after all, the only way to achieve 100% safety in any human endevour is - DONT DO IT.... OR, spend lots and lots and lots... and lots of money to make it somewhat safe.

I have a few ideas, take or leave any of these.

Learn as much as you can.

Be prepared

Make command decisions

Look out of the window

Be courteous

(Ian R, I sound like a Scout!)

To elaborate, learning as much as possible can prevent all sorts of problems. Airline crews have crashed due to lack of understanding of the aircraft's systems. Additional training may prevent controlled flight into terrain and stall/spin accidents. Keeping up to date with procedures, rule and frequency changes also adds to safety.

Be prepared. Think "what if" and what you would do. Prepare for the flight thoroughly, from a good walk around to doing take off and landing calculations.

Indecision never helps. Use that constant learning to reach a decision and act on it. If the engine isn't delivering sufficient power on the take off roll, stop. If the weather is bad, turn around.

Look out for traffic! People stare blankly ahead without even turning their heads. Look up, down, ahead, behind. In a high wing lift the wing and look under before turning. Stop at the holding point so you can see the approaches.

Courtesy = airmanship. Don't leave the aircraft parked in front of the fuel bowser. Check behind before starting to make sure you won't blow dust into someones hangar, car and so on. Turn off your strobes when taxying.

And recognise that even the best airmen still make mistakes at times!

Desirable Attributes of an Aviator.

Thanks HPD, I believe this new thread title now better reflects what were talking about.:big_grin:

As we can build upon the existing Aviator Attributes:

3. Double checks occur naturally before deciding on an emergency response (Yenn).

4. Learning from others experiences is multitudinous (facthunter). we can now add yours:

5. Flying enjoyment is tempered by an inherent risk exposure (High Plains Drifter)

I guess we can start thinking about aligning these attributes with the values that will enable us to aquire these desirable attributes as an organisation. It looks like we have a few more ideas coming in to convert into attributes. Is this starting to make sense?

Kelvin (with a long way to go, and enjoying the support)

Guest TOSGcentral

In my view the most important attribute has not yet really been covered – only parts of it.

This the willingness (and ability) to embrace and develop Situational Awareness.

Flying is a multifaceted and ever changing environment and the responsible pilot requires to be constantly and accurately up to speed with what is going on at any given time.

This may be a changing scenario in met conditions; changing condition of the aircraft/engine; changing traffic conditions; proximity to airspace constraints and their significance; variations in crew condition - physical, psychological, emotional, tiredness.

Situational Awareness then becomes the platform upon which sound decisions may be made and the chance of pilot error thus minimised.

With this in place the second major attribute to the Airman is the automatic desire and ability to stay well ahead of the situation – thus having the time to formulate decisions and weigh them before implementation.

The decision making process may be insidious and apparently quite benign at the time – then you find has snowballed on you. The following little story happened just a few weeks ago.

A particularly attractive little single seater (the only example in Australia) was sold from Watts Bridge and the new owner intended ferrying it to Sydney. He made a sensible course of action and came up for a full day of flying to get used to the aircraft before taking it away.

He was an experienced and sound pilot with a good, steady attitude and produced a good flight plan, sensible refuelling stops etc, but a few simple mistakes appeared to have been made. The prime one was that he did not dress adequately for the long open cockpit flight at a high cruise speed (over 100 kts). The wx was good and remained so for the entire flight but we were already well into winter and it was damn cold!

En route he changed the flight plan and climbed to 7500’ for more favourable wind. He also skipped a refuelling point and decided to press on to an unscheduled point that changed his track quite drastically.

An open cockpit is no place to be re-writing flight plans so the way points and leg timings, ETAs etc would have started becoming a bit woolly in ‘read it reference’ terms and much more of a mental exercise adding to pilot work load.

However the pilot’s working ability was deteriorating as he increasingly became hypothermic and in fact technically ill. He was switched on enough to recognise this but could not do much about it because the scenery on the new track was both a bit high and a tad vertical around the edges.

He however made the sensible decision to take it very steady with the circuit and approach at the new way point airfield as he did not expect to perform too well, plus he only had a few landings on type (which was a reasonably enthusiastic tail dragger).

He was not wrong and stuffed the first approach something chronic and went around. This presented another problem because he was now short on fuel after the extended leg. His confidence was going down, his working ability was also down which he recognised, and he was unsure of how long he had before he could get it right enough.

On the next approach he elected to land anyway as he was feeling distinctly unwell and got badly out of shape again. He then attempted to force the landing and spread the aircraft quite alarmingly although he was himself not injured.

Now, it is very easy to review circumstances clinically from the comfort of our chairs and heated rooms and go Tut Tut at the obvious. But that is with 20/20 hindsight. Sound Airmanship is current knowledge and foresight – appreciating what a situation is, will (or may) bring with it and making allowances in advance – like wearing a thermal flying suit instead of just a heavy flying jacket and helmet.

Once the Situational Awareness is in place then you indeed have the platform that will lead to effective decision making that does not paint you into a corner that there is no way out of.

Tony

Just been told, and should of known it anyway, the female of Aviator is Aviatrix 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Be prepared

(Ian R, I sound like a Scout!)

Its not a bad motto for aviation !! Anyway I thought you were sort of now ?

This might be a bit high level, but I have used in a number of ways with various work groups in the past...easily transferable to aviators and the intent is the same:

"In everything that you do, ensure that your performance enhances aviation's reputation"

It can mean many things to many people, but the intent is what I think you're trying to achieve - to define the reputation and therefore perception of an aviator by peers, passengers and onlookers...their perception is their reality. We all want to be perceived as safe, competent and in command - I would expect that would be achieved by doing the things discussed in this thread.

An alternative viewpoint;

Why did you take up flying?

For most of us I suspect it was because of the perceived risk and the thrill of challenging a task and a sport that, in the public eye, is seen as risky and even dangerous.

It was this challenge that you and I as risk takers decided to try and take on and beat.

Sure, unlike many who decide they would like to try flying but rapidly give it up once they can boast that they have a pilot's license, ie; have reached their personal risk limits, we continued to fly because once we had a taste of it we found that we enjoyed the challenge, "challenge" in this case being short hand for continuing to pit ourselves, our egos and our skills against some significant forces of nature which of course includes a very large element of thrills and risk, some of it extreme risk.

It often amuses me to see long and continuing dissertations on how we must fly safely while all the time the same proponents of this safety culture at all costs are actually continuing to fly to satisfy their desires for thrills and stimulation and I would suspect that at times sort of just push the limits a little, perhaps unknowingly and sub- consciously, for the thrills and stimulation that it provides.

Why do some people do things in aviation that are seriously frowned on and sometimes bring the participants unstuck?

Why do some pilots go for aerobatics or gliding or for very long flights over some god forsaken country or attempt long cross ocean flights?

These all contain large elements of extreme risk and by any definition that exists in our general ground dwelling public are unsafe pursuits.

If safety in flying was the be all and end all which it is so often made out to be then none of these high risk flights would ever be made or allowed to be made.

Rather than this constant harping on "SAFETY" perhaps a more realistic approach would be to know both youre's and the your flight project's limits and learn to operate with in those personal limits that each and everyone of us have.

After all what you may see as a safe environment may, to someone else, be way outside of their own personal safety limits or may be looked on as very mundane by a more risk accepting personality.

I now bare my throat to the wolves!

Guest TOSGcentral

That was an excellent post ROM and I do not feel you need to 'bare your throat' - we have few wolves around here anyway.

You have perhaps been a trifle over-polarised though!

I would not personally wish to see some sanctimonious discourse on 'how we must fly safely' but more one of sharing ideas and view points on 'how we may fly safely' - according to our personal abilities, motivations and experience.

You are quite correct regarding personal tolerances. What to one person be a semi traumatic adventure of going out of sight of the home airfield for the first time may be of no consequence to others - but flying the Tasman would be!

These various level pressures may be distilled down (perhaps by discussion) into attitudinal attributes and behaviour patterns within individual pilots that themselves breed a 'safety culture' that is instinctive.

Desirable Attributes of an Aviator/Aviatrix.

Thanks Mazda (27.5.08), you have presented at least two ideas on being a good pilot and we should add them to the Aviator/Aviatrix Attributes below.

4. Learning from others experiences is multitudinous (facthunter).

5. Flying enjoyment is tempered by an inherent risk exposure (High Plains Drifter) and now add yours:

6. Safety Procedures are never taken lightly (Mazda)

7. Courtesy is regarded as a welcomed responsibility (Mazda)

That leaves three to go. Lets see what we can glean from this mornings posts without doubling up.

Kelvin (with a long way to go and feeling comfortable with the journey)

That's true Ian! ;)

Yes ROM, I agree absolutely. The only way to make flying truly safe is to keep all aircraft on the ground (sometimes I think this is CASA's plan to improve safety!) Flying will always have risks, and it is true that risk taking equals adventure.

It isn't about eliminating risk, it is about managing risk.

Guest pelorus32

First I object to "airman" let's go back to aviator lest our generally more effective and competent sisters come after us.

From a post of mine from April last year:

If I had to describe the qualities that I aspire to as a pilot I'd say things like:

Conservative in my actions but not timid;

Careful but not over-cautious;

Alert but not fretful;

Decisive but not impulsive;

Inquisitive;

Observant;

Chronically uneasy but not anxious (thanks James Reason);

Communicative but not dominating;

Attentive to others;

Courteous;

Adept and current both in stick and rudder and in management of the a/c;

Regards

Mike

Thanks Tony, (TOSGcentral) for raising a fundamental aspect of defensive driving/flying and keeping us on-our-toes. Could we make that number 8.

8. Effective decisions arise from sound situational awareness (TOSGcentral).

Does that cover your example of changing scenarios example?

Kelvin (with a long way to go and where others have led the way)

This might be a bit high level, but I have used in a number of ways with various work groups in the past...easily transferable to aviators and the intent is the same:"In everything that you do, ensure that your performance enhances aviation's reputation"

It can mean many things to many people, but the intent is what I think you're trying to achieve - to define the reputation and therefore perception of an aviator by peers, passengers and onlookers...their perception is their reality. We all want to be perceived as safe, competent and in command - I would expect that would be achieved by doing the things discussed in this thread.

Thanks Matt, Well if we are going to align our newly developed attributes later with established values that leads to the acquisitions of these attributes, why not enhance the reputations of both RAA pilots and the organisation in the same process?

9. Pilot performance enhances aviation's reputation.

It certainally seems to underscore all the other attributes so far.

Kelvin (with a long way to go and acknowledges the encouragement)

First I object to "airman" let's go back to aviator lest our generally more effective and competent sisters come after us.From a post of mine from April last year:

If I had to describe the qualities that I aspire to as a pilot I'd say things like:

Conservative in my actions but not timid;

Careful but not over-cautious;

Alert but not fretful;

Decisive but not impulsive;

Inquisitive;

Observant;

Chronically uneasy but not anxious (thanks James Reason);

Communicative but not dominating;

Attentive to others;

Courteous;

Adept and current both in stick and rudder and in management of the a/c;

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike, Nothing much has changed between qualities and attributes over the past year or so. What qualities aligns with these attributes raised over the last week?

1. Human Error is Recognised and Controlled (Flyer40) 1. = Careful

2. Self-imposed flying discipline is a widespread practice (Yenn). 2. = Inquisitive

3. Double checks occur naturally before deciding on an emergency response (Yenn). 3. = Decisive

4. Learning from others experiences is multitudinous (facthunter). 4. = Attentive, Observant

5. Flying enjoyment is tempered by an inherent risk exposure (High Plains Drifter) 5. = Uneasy

6. Safety Procedures are never taken lightly (Mazda) 6. = Alert

7. Courtesy is regarded as a welcomed responsibility (Mazda) 7. = Courteous,

8. Effective decisions arise from sound situational awareness (TOSGcentral). 8. = Adapt and Current

9. Pilot performance enhances aviation's reputation (Matt). 9. = Communicative

I suppose this looks like a best-fit analysis. Can enyone convert Mike's qualities into an imperative or attribute that will capture it all without doubling up on the nine we already have?091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

Kelvin (with a long way to go with a little help)

Response to ROM.

Alternative viewpoints are fine, but I have read your post quite a few times. I don't think you can really speak for "the most of us". You may know a lot of people that enable you to make that statement, and you may be totally correct, but to me , you are doing a fair amount of assuming.

In my case, I didn't take up flying for the danger. I was getting all the thrills I needed from motorcycles and my involvement with car racing, and I saw plenty of fatalities there.

I took up flying to try to reach the skill level necessary to be a competant pilot, and I loved aeroplanes. I was aware of the danger element, but I ACCEPTED it as a component of the flying scene, and I have tried to constantly MINIMISE it. If I pushed the boundaries, it was through ignorance and the need ( as I thought ) to get the job done. It's never really that urgent.

General aviation was then, and probably still is, quite dangerous, but unless you are working professionally, and your job is under threat, YOU SET THE STANDARD.

If , the main motivation for flying recreationally, is to be involved with the thrill and challenge of doing things that have "large elements of extreme risk". and "harping on safety as if it is the be-all and end -all "is bothering you, perhaps you might consider where that view, if it was in fact general, would cause us to end up.

The inevitable hue & cry resulting from a bad accident record would bring the movement into further disrepute, and our freedoms would be restricted not expanded. That's pretty obvious, isn't it?. If I'm in a minority here I'll put up with that, as it has to be said.. Nev..

Its a difficult subject this 'safety' thing. We all WANT to be as safe as possible, but...

One of the reasons Ultralights came into existence is because many Aviators could not afford to fly the then 'safe' aircraft. It was a concious deccision to accept a lower level of safety just so we could FLY.

RAAus has many members that can not meet the medical requirements to fly the 'safer' aircraft.

Probably something I think we should'nt foreget in our constant striving to make things safer is, how much is it going to cost.

As Dick Smith said - affordable safety (or words to that effect - probably should let Dick speak for himself)