Operating At Uncontrolled Airports

Free Presentation by Tim Penny of CASA

Monday 7th July 2008

7.15pm

Hampton RSL Services and Citizens Club Bistro

25 Holyrood Street

Hampton

Victoria.

As pilots we all get into our comfort zone at our home airports or when we have arrived in the circuit area at our destination. In fact it is one of the most dangerous locations in which we fly.

The Lightweight Aircraft Association (LAA) http://www.lightweightaircraft.asn.au/ would like to invite all aviation enthusiasts to attend a free presentation by Tim Penny from CASA on Operating At Uncontrolled Airports.

Guest Ken deVos

Hi Frank

You beat me to it but I've now added a link in the original post for others.

The LAA has been around a long time, in fact as long as the AUF/RA-Aus. A great bunch of friendly people interested in flying, building, or anything to do with aviation.

Cheers

Ken.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ken deVos
Pity we didn't know of this site earlier, we've probably missed some good stuff. It's bookmarked on my pc now. Thanks for the link Ken.

My pleasure doug.

I'm waiting for the LAA site's June update, which should include the CASA presentation details, before reminding members of this forum.

Guest Ken deVos

For those interested, the LAA website has been updated and now includes details of the upcoming CASA presentation.

Guest Ken deVos

Final reminder and update from the LAA....

Finger food will be provided free by Emerald Catering from 7:00pm in the area outside of the meeting room.

The meeting starts at 7:30pm sharp, so be early to eat. There will be a short break about 9:00pm.

Bring a friend.

Monday 7th July

7.00 PM

Hampton RSL

Services and Citizens Club Bistro,

25 Holyrood Street,

Hampton

Finger food? be a bit boney, eh? 102_wasnt_me.gif.b4992218d6a9d117d3ea68a818d37d57.gif

Tim Penny did the CASA briefing at Shepparton along with Michael White and covered the subjects of Situational Awareness (read; wheres the bloody power line) and operations at uncontrolled airports (read; fly the circuit properly and use a bloody radio).

If anyone has not been able to get to one of the briefings, and wants to know a bit more, then Shepparton Aero Club videoed the two talks. Be advised they are an hour long each.

My suggestion would be to approach instructor Stewart Greig at Shepparton and ask if he can copy a disc for your aero club. That way everyone can watch them, and they become a teaching tool of your club.

Ben

My suggestion would be to approach instructor Stewart Greig at Shepparton and ask if he can copy a disc for your aero club. That way everyone can watch them, and they become a teaching tool of your club.

Ben

That would be a great idea Ben as it is dammed hard to get anywhere near a CASA briefing at times.

Do you have a phone number for Stewart?

Guest Ken deVos

Thank you to all those forum members who braved the weather conditions last night to attend the CASA presentation and swell the numbers (about 50 attendees all up) at the LAA monthly meeting.

At the last minute the topic was changed to 'Situation Awareness', but with a promise from Tim Penny of CASA to return in a few months to provide the intended and follow-on topic. However, everyone was very eager and enthusiastic to learn more about the human factor issues in our sport.

A great presentation from Tim and a recommendation to everyone to make an effort to attend these CASA presentations when they visit your local area.

• 2 months later...
Guest Ken deVos

PART-2 of the CASA presentation by Tim Penny

For those interested in attending PART-2 of the CASA presentation, the Lightweight Aircraft Association has posted the following on their website....

October LAA Meeting Guest Speaker Is Tim Penny From CASA

A couple of months ago we had the pleasure of listening to Tim Penny present a talk on Situational Awareness. We had a fantastic roll out from all sectors of the aviation fraternity. So by popular demand Tim is back again to present on Flying Outside Controlled Airspace. Once again everyone is welcome so please spread the word far and wide.

6th October

7PM arrival for a 7.30PM start.

Hampton RSL

Services and Citizens club Bistro,

25 Holyrood Street,

Hampton Vic 3188

http://www.lightweightaircraft.asn.au/

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ken deVos

Last minute reminder

A last minute reminder of the CASA presentation on tonight and yes, finger-food is provided from 06:30pm.