what plane to buy

Guest flying high

Guest flying high

hi guys

im looking for a plane to buy it has to be robust easy to fly and easy to take off with and land not need a alot of run way and be able to carry around a 200kg payload and as always cheap to buy as i am a normal man on a normal pay check any one have any ideas on a good plane or know of a plane for sale thats needs a little TLC all the best

011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif

Clarification.

2 pilots + 200 kg, + fuel ( say 120 litres @ .7 Kg/l = 84 Kg ) = approx 450 Kg without the aircraft ? Can't see you achieving that with anything that is under our umbrella ,till we go to 760 AUW. It's difficult to build anything to carry that payload under 320 Kg (empty weight) so you are just over and can't quite fill the tanks, even then. Nev..

Guest flying high

thanx guys if anyone has any links to models of planes to look at that would be great but i definetly have got the direction to go on thanx heaps

Have a good look at the Skyranger

ticks all your boxes

robust, fun and easy to fly

reliable Rotax power

one of the cheaper to buy new

no kit is quicker from box to sky

250kg payload in RAA or 310kg VH experimental

can be tail dragger

cheers

Davidh

Guest flying high

yeh i had a look it looks a little flimsy is this true or maybe i found the wrong model what should i be likely to pay for a sky ranger?

Others.

Check up on Murphy Rebel, Big range of engines and weights. Good strong semi STOL workhorse. Can be built in a range of categories. It's a taildragger, and all-metal. It's like a half sized Dehavilland Beaver. Engines up to 160 HP+?.

The Skyranger is quite strong, particularly the undercarriage, and easily repaired. All Al tubes are straight and it's certified in ENGLAND. Not fast, and probably a bit overpowered with the 100 HP rotax, but gets off the ground well with it. Very roomy cockpit. Might be a bit demanding as a taildragger, (my view) but with the trike undercarriage set up as this is, the TD is probably unnecessary. Value between 45K & 60K.Nev...

Guest flying high

thanks mate i will look into it sounds like a good plane what about fuel tanks 1 other thing that is very important is the range of how far the planes can fly is there with all the spec added up size payload ease of take off and land and how easy it is to fly how far can they fly is very important can the planes have extra fuel tanks

:rotary::rotary::rotary::rotary::rotary:

Fuel tanks.

Well the Skyranger has them in plastic containers behind you (as do some Jabiru) and you either like that or you don't. (If you want to put the point precisely, I don't), but I do believe the fuselage is very strong in that area, which helps. Perhaps you would invest in some flame proof clothing. (I'm serious).

The Murphy is a proven, REAL aeroplane and the later ones have a bigger rudder, I believe, and , again, you either want a taildragger or you don't. In ALASKA, you probably don't get much else used on marginal strips, (the environment for which it is designed) The wing really does lift a lot of weight, and it handles well. I'm sure you can fit big tanks, (in the wing). While you are about it, you could have a look at the Australian Aircraft Kits HORNET, If you want off field ops. Nev....

Looks to me like you need a LightWing, the two strokes are cheaper to buy and easier to fly, but the four stroke is more economical and a bit faster.

Built like the proverbial and a spacious cabin (compared to some).

Don't let being a taildragger put you off, but if you must, you can get a training wheel (tricycle) version for a bit more.

1217173526_19LIGHTWING081.jpg.d6d6dc364e0bca4687b8e2c06b1bdbc7.jpg

Guest flying high
Looks to me like you need a LightWing, the two strokes are cheaper to buy and easier to fly, but the four stroke is more economical and a bit faster.

Built like the proverbial and a spacious cabin (compared to some).

Don't let being a taildragger put you off, but if you must, you can get a training wheel (tricycle) version for a bit more.

MATE is a lightwing the plane in the post you just made the picture as they look good and stable what about range how far do these planes fly on a tank of juice

• 2 weeks later...

The Lightwing is a good stable flyer capable of teaching you all the things you need to know without biting you if you screw up a bit.

They will generally take a fair bit of abuse both in the air and on the ground, will have to be seriously provoked before ending up in a groundloop, and often escape unscathed.

As for range, tank sizes can vary from earlier production models to later ones, and fuel consumption will vary depending on engine and prop used as well as how it is flown.

All aircraft are a compromise depending on what you want to do with it.

Many just look at the all out speed available, compare it to the price offered and do a dollars per mile calculation, but if you are going to go cross country you should also consider how comfortable the plane is.

I'd rather do two and a half hours in a comfortable plane instead of only two hours in a 10 kt faster, but cramped plane. (It's nice to be able to still walk after a long trip!!)

how far do these planes fly on a tank of juice?

The club I flew with had two LightWings, the 582 model (two stroke) only had 38 litres usable and wouldn't quite make it to Narromine.

The other Lightwing had a 912 (four stroke) and nearly 60 litres usable, and could almost fly Narromine and return non-stop.

These aircraft were primarily used for training and had props set more towards climb than cruise, thus better circuits, but slower cruise.

A good all round plane.

Arthur.

4vs2.jpg.dc393426e2cb43b8546fa57c564586a0.jpg