Qantas 747 wing fairing torn off

It is interesting, not to say passing strange that the dictum, don't speculate on causes of incidents has been well and truly blown away by the main stream media following this spectacular incident. I wonder what happened to the reports of serious corrosion in 747 Longreach? Could this be an attempt by freinds of Qantas boss Geoff Dixon to send the hounds off the scent of possible sub standard maintenance?

I believe we should all take a step back and wait for the final report to come in. I think if the facts are looked at in a more non sceptical way people would realise that this issue doesn't relate in any way to corrosion.

I'm not an engineer or an accident investigator. I am a member of the travelling public and I can read. When people involved in the maintenance of these people freighters raise the matter of corrosion in airframes I begin to take a keen interest in this dialogue. I think that there are shareholders who have a particular interest and there are others. All views should be heard and discussed. Free speech is another of the features of our democracy.

The latest I saw in the media was that the corrosion found was in the seat frames, also that the 747 in question hasn't had overseas maintenance. It looks as if there may be a problem with an oxygen cylinder.

The Australian media loves to knock Qantas, but it is the worlds second oldest airline and has a brilliant safety record. The only older airline was responsible for one of the worst air disasters , and who would rather fly with United or Garuda? I certainly will not fly with an Tndonesian airline nor Thai nor New Zealand.

Very True Yenn,

The truth is that this perticular 747 corrosion was only in the seat frames and also true there has been no overseas maintanence on this aircraft. It's always amusing to see people bag our national airline but when it comes to the crunch their bum always lands on their seats.

Experts employed by "our national carrier" were quoted in a blog devoted to discussing engineering issues as saying that there were serious corrosion problems in the aircraft which suffered a near catastrophic explosion that ruptured the pressure hull at 30,000ft. This resulted in, (to quote one particularly relaxed journalist in the media), the aircraft "dipping" 20,000ft. Most of us on this sight know that when a pressurised a/c suffers explosive decompression the pilot executes a crash dive in order to restore life giving oxygen to the occupants. I saw film of passengers reporting the near suffocation of adults and children. They also complained (whinged?) about the poor repair of emergency oxygen masks. Whether or not the corrosion was limited to seat frames and if so is this not in itself serious I can't judge. I believe that the point of my post was to question in whose best interests the media was acting. Unsafe behaviour is as unacceptable in our airline as in any other. I feel that the media was lax in this matter. Regards to all, Don

Fair call,

I think that the issue with the so called failed oxygen system relates to the fact that it was an oxygen related explosion. There were also a video shown during the "emergency decent" showed all pax in a calm enviroment and also that their stories seem to stretch as the more times they get in front of a camera. I just think we need to praise the actions of the pilots and be glad no-one was injured.

cheers to them:clap:

Yes it was an O2 bottle issue however each line is fitted with a Non Retrn valve, so one bottle AWOL does not leak down the whole system. Pretty simple circuit design there! And fancy that Boeing made em that way!

In all seriousness, there may have been a few dodgy O2 masks, but most likely the problem was from punters not pulling or tugging the mask/tube down to release the plug and allow the O2 to flow.

You can almost bet that some Peanut Punter will try to sue or start a media campaign ........ when in reality they just ignored yet again the safety brief before takeoff.

Unfortunately the law prevents us from denying O2 to such halfwitted oxygen thiefs so they can go on breeding another generation of them.

By the way they are the same ones who unfasten their seatbelts and get up before the Crew have turned off the seat belt signs, just so they can be first to waiat for their baggage:angry:. One day they will fall A over T when they move and stop quickly and get sued by another pax for injuries!

J

Unfortunately the law prevents us from denying O2 to such halfwitted oxygen thiefs so they can go on breading another generation of them.

Does this breading lead to loafing around, not being willing to make a crust, running out of dough, running around with your kids buckwheat naked, looking for your next crumpet for a quick focaccia, finding yourself in dire knead (spelt right?) but with naan you could do but waffle, then a generally crumby life, become a PITA, give in to the yeast temptations and finally get a rise and die?

Didn't think so. You probably meant breeding. My bad.

I don't usually pick on spelling (I'd be too busy and despised) but I couldn't resist this one.

Please forgive me.

I got it from my father. Come to Hopetoun on Sunday and tell him what a bad job he did raising me.

And yes - spelt was a pun too. It must be late. I must be drunk.

I agree J430

Hooray,

Another person with the same opinions. I believe we should just get rid of the Aussie flag and fly the US one as that is where our legal system is going. 20 years ago if the media wrote on this same story It would have probably read "Qantas flight makes an emergency landing at Manilla after a midflight Incident, Passengers and crew praise the pilots" now in 2008 it would read "Near disaster as a Qantas jet crash lands after inflght explosive decompression, is overseas maintence to blame?"

I think that everyone is out for a buck these days and it is at the cost of civilisation as we know it. Instead of helping a mate fix his driveway, we now sue him for his house because we tripped over the crack in his driveway.

Get over it ppl we are all aussies!!!

Slarti

Cheeky bugger!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Breeding.....yes its not quite wheat flour related is it....... will go edit now, just for correctness of the forum sake!

J