Crash comics

Guest airsick

Do you think the RAA mag should contain detailed crash comics?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the RAA mag should contain detailed crash comics?

• Yes, the current content is too limited
    • No, I find the current content sufficent
    • I really couldn't care less

In light of the recent threads about accidents and what not I got to thinking about crash comics. In each edition of Flight Safety Australia (FSA) they discuss several accidents, incidents or events that might lead to an accident or incident. Some of these reports are written by magazine staff but most are people like us recounting their stories. I look forward to reading these parts of the magazine as I find it fascinating as well as educational to hear of other peoples flying experiences.

The RAA magazine pales into comparison with their scant reports of things like 'nose wheel broke on landing' with no more than a paragraph. While these are useful in the context of making you think about safety they are nowhere near as good as the reports in FSA.

The FSA articles cover the entire episode and detail the factors that built up to the event. I find this interesting as accidents tend to be caused by a series of errors rather than one.

The FSA mag is distributed only to CASA licence holders so a lot of the guys in these forums will not get to read it regularly. I am curious if anyone here thinks the RAA mag should have a little more content in it than what is presently there.

By the way, for those that didn't realise the FSA magazine can be read online at http://www.casa.gov.au/fsa/index.asp

Guest basscheffers

Because at Parafield they wanted me to have a medical even though flying RA-Aus, I had to register for an ARN (Aviation Reference Number) and get a medical.

All it took was an email to CASA to get me on the mailing list. I am just wondering that if you want this magazine, probably all you need to do is register for an ARN (free) and ask for the mag!

You may be interested Airsick that we will soon have a Bi-Weekly Newspaper and Monthly Magazine right here which will be in conjunction with a group of others but I can't say who they are at the moment. I have done some great deals for us all here to get exclusive rights to aviation articles, stories, news and much more.

A separate Pty Ltd company has already been set up for it and names have been registered plus domain names secured. The only thing at the moment is time - available time to start it going as I am so busy with getting v4 of the site done first.

Stay tuned for this...crikey, there is so much happening here and so much more coming up for everyone right here at Recreational Flying

I just rang up CASA and they put on the mailing list, as easy as that, I don't even know if I got an ARN number myself...i_dunno

But I agree, I love the crash information and the close shave stories, they are very helpfull to learn from:thumb_up:

Cheers:big_grin:

Tom

I think that's great Ian but in this instance I think CASA got it right. They are taking a pro active approach to safety with this magazine. We shouldn't have to pay for this information if the RAA/CASA is serious about promoting safe flying. Perhaps more people should be aware of the magazine so they can do what BC and Tomo did and get access to the magazine.

I have to be honest - I read a mountain of paperwork, articles, magazines, news stories, etc at work every day. I read FSA, the RAA mag and a few other bits and pieces at home. I am also studying for further qualifications so that is yet more reading. The last thing I want to do is add another magazine to the list. This is only me personally but I would prefer the existing content was expanded to be more complete and educational.

I voted YES but what I'd like to see is a seperate accident report booklet posted with the RAAus mag for members only.

IMO it should include all the pilot submitted accident & incident reports (edited only to be anonymous) and reproduce any ATSB investigations which relate to ultralights. I'd also like to see comments on each entry (Eg from ops manager) to help members learn from each scenario.

The BMAA have just such an arrangement in the UK - I found it an invaluable education & it was great for starting discussions at the flying club. I've shown the reports to pilots here and the concensus was that they were excellent.

Cheers

John

STBY, on another forum we are getting together to archive the original crash comics online. So access to issue 1, 1955 to the last one 150 in 1991 can be had at a click of the button. Regardless of the rego prefix, aviation safety and accident prevention and correct descision making is every aviator's responsibility.

As history students, aviators fail dismally! We keep repeating the same errors over and over for the same result.

I voted NO, but only because the RAAus mag is on sale to the public.

Most other publications that delve into detail about accidents and incidents within their organization are usually only available to their own members.

The thought of a 'supplement' to members only is the way to go, but this has been discussed before, and was going to add cost to the magazine.

With our now larger member base, the supplement idea may be worth revisiting?

Arthur.

Guest basscheffers

Why not just put it online?

Easily secured: log in using your membership number and something else about yourself that RA-Aus already has on record. (surname, date of birth, etc.)

Why not just put it online?Easily secured: log in using your membership number and something else about yourself that RA-Aus already has on record. (surname, date of birth, etc.)

Sounds like a good Idea:thumb_up:

I've got no problem with the reports going online - it should be disseminated as widely as possible.

However it would require a conscious decision to log on and read them. Whilst many of us are motivated by flight safety & would do so (when we remembered), I suspect that some of the people who would most benefit from the information might not. Its much more likely that they would flick through a supplement that arrives with the RAAus mag.

I appreciate the point about cost but I really can't believe that an A5 pamphlet in b&w on plain paper maybe 2 or 4 times a year would be horrendously expensive. If necessary, subsidise it by putting more adverts in place of the half page currently devoted to the accident/incident reports. Ultimately what should our organisation be spending on if not safety matters ?

Cheers

John

How much is it worth to save just (1) life by being informed?

At what cost do we draw the line?

Information (fact and circumstances) is the key to learning and without it we are the mushrooms.