Family Responsibility

Guest Cralis

Buddy, my brother was found dead on the couch with the remote in his hand at 36yo in May!!! you would think the couch at home was a safe place!!!!!! heart attack.

I am not going like that and my kids would not want me to be wrapped in cotton wool either, live life to the fullest, stay within your capabilities and enjoy every minute!!

Go hard or go home.

Watto

Guest Maj Millard

Your right of course Watto. Had the remote in his hand ?, what the hell was he watching ??. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif A quote from Charles Lindberg in one of his books: " A death whilst seeking adventure, is a worthy death indeed."

I have know idea what he was watching when he went but apparently he lokked as if he had simply fallen asleep! May have been the bold and the beautiful that would kill me to watch Maj, hehehe

Go with a big smile on your face I say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Guest Graham Lea

There have been horrible stories about people taking one of their loved ones for a flight and not making it back. One was of a champion glider guy who had a son by ivf who was (about) 7 who both died near Camden. He was the only child. Similar stories abound. Having said that, I took my son for a short flight after I got my licence but have not done so since. Likewise my daughter. Wife and I fly aound a lot (ex Sydney to Longreach to Victoria and far west NSW in our Jab - 530 hours now) but the kids at in their mid 30's and can run the empire anyhow. :-)

Insurance actually covers nothing when you think about it.

Hi Everyone,

I believe that anyone who holds a twin seat endorsement should be capable of flying a passenger around safely and if he or she feels insecure about taking a member of the family, as a passenger, then possibly they should not be flying themselves either.

My first passenger was my mother inlaw,at the age of 75,she had never been flying in her life,later,I also took a lady of 85 who,till the day she passed away, told everyone who would listen,how she had been flying in this beautifull butterfly.

I regularly take all the members of my family who wish to fly with me,from my mother and father who are in their eighties,who also had never flown until I learnt to fly,my wife and my grand children.

Over the years I have taken hundreds of Introductory flights and many friends and neighbours,to me, recreational flying is a magical experience and I feel enriched by sharing it with anyone else who wishes to experience it also.

I think it`s incorrect to compare the safety of flying to motor vehicles,747`s or any thing else,you must compare apples to apples not oranges and the safety of a flight is directly proportional to, "the airwortiness of the aircraft,the ability of the pilot and conditions in which the flight is being carried out in".

Cheers,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

you must compare apples to apples not oranges and the safety of a flight is directly proportional to, "the airwortiness of the aircraft,the ability of the pilot and conditions in which the flight is being carried out in".Cheers,

I don't think I have ever agreed with anything else as much as I agree with this.

Cheers,

Shags

Guest Maj Millard

Yes`Ditto Franki , I flew a group of elderly folks (all 80 plus), one afternoon in the Drifter out of a lovely grass strip. The oldest lady declined right till the very end. Then she asked if I could just take off, and then land right away, which I was prepared to do. Right after we took off, and as I prepared to land, she prompted me to keep going. We did about ten minutes, and I believe she probabily enjoyed it the most. Plus everybody got a big kick out of the fact that she went up at all. I flew a bloke one day at a fly-in, he had hung around for a while waiting for a ride. Later he came back with his 8 and 12 year old daughters, and ask if would please take them up, one at a time of course. What a compliment, and young kids really enjoy it a lot too. I have flown my only daughter since she was a baby in a capsule, on the back seat of the 172. Hell she wasn't going to keep us on the ground, and away from the airshows. She's 14 now, and still flys with me in the Lightwing quite a bit., and is very comfortable in the air. The term 'precious cargo' does come to mind before takeoff sometimes. I view adventure as being man's greatest challange, and greatest accomplishment, don't hold back, there aren't enough of us out there now. Don't tell me Steve Fossett didn't get his share. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Yes`Ditto Franki, I flew a bloke one day at a fly-in, he had hung around for a while waiting for a ride. Later he came back with his 8 and 12 year old daughters, and ask if I would please take them up, one at a time of course. What a compliment, and young kids really enjoy it a lot too. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Ross,

Not long after I got my CFI rating and started my school one of our club members,who had been a squadron leader and an instructor in the RAAF,had done it all and was now the chief pilot for the Cairns branch of the Royal Flying Doctor service,saw fit to bring his 14 year old son to me to start his flying career, in the Drifter.

The father was always there when I was teaching,now, you better believe this was one hell of a compliment to me, so I know what you mean.

By the way, the guy took me twice on runs in the RFDS King Air and the 14 year old went on and the last time I heard, was in the drivers seat of the 747 , flying for Quantas.

You reckon I`m happy???:big_grin::big_grin::big_grin:

Cheers,

Guest Maj Millard

Watto, didn't mean any disrespect to you'r brother at all. I reckon a couple of good episodes of any bloody soap has the potential to knock you for a six...and remember : nobody gets out alive anyway ! Cheers 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hi Cralis,

You originaly asked if anyone else had the same feeling as you,My final contribution to your thread is this

I can assure you that I realy do understand what you are saying,my wife and I married at the age of 18,we have 3 adult children and 8 grand children,I have done many high risk things in my life and the thought of my responsibility to them has never left me , I take it very seriously, but had I let it stop me I would have done very little, I`m also lucky to have a wife who has always supported me.

When I was instructing,I was always more concearned about those who showed no fear at all than those who had a healthy respect for what we were doing, I would spend considerable time pointing out all the dangers involved and how to deal with them, not making them believe that flying was completely safe.

The reality is that flying is only as safe as," The airworthiness of the aircraft,The ability of the pilot,and, The conditions that the flight is being carried out in",flying is only as safe as the pilot wishes to make it.

I have found that the best way to deal with these fears is to learn and understand as much as possible about what it is that we are about to do.

Ability and confidence come with experience but to gain experience we must have the courage to take the first step,in my opinion, courage is not,"The lack of fear",it is,the "Ability to overcome the fear".

Regards,

The reality is that flying is only as safe as," The airworthiness of the aircraft,The ability of the pilot,and, The conditions that the flight is being carried out in",flying is only as safe as the pilot wishes to make it.

You've nailed it, Frank 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif - should be written on the back of everyone's certificate/licence.

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

Guest Maj Millard

Hey I've seen Frank in action, very precise and effective, and his students were always pretty happy too. Sort of bloke I'd give my only daughter to, for flight training I mean. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif