Anyone had any Taxiing mishaps at all?

Guest Brett Campany

Guest Brett Campany

Just come back from my 2nd TIF, this one with a different flying school that I'm sure I'll end up going with.

Taxiing a Jab 230, had to be hard on the pedals and when it came to take of....well it went to custard, came off the runway, aborted TO and backtracked.

2nd attempt was much better.

So extremely embarrassed and feeling like a right idiot, I'm wondering if anyone else has had any mishaps like this or am I the only one?

It was something we had a light laugh about at the end but at the time and thinking about it now, could've possibly been near fatal.

It's not all about the flying as I've found out.

:hittinghead:

Guest Maj Millard

Naw he's lying Brett, not unusual to do the odd "runway excursion" in early training or when getting used to a new plane. When I first got my 582 Drifter she just wanted to go right off the right side, soon as the tail came up, which was a bit embarrasing at the time. Fitted a fixed rudder trim-tab like everybody else had on thier big Drifters, and it never got me again. The main thing to remember is to recognize quickly when things are going pear-shaped, and to take the appropiate action just as quickly. Never any shame in getting out of it, and trying a second time, thats how you learn to get old in this game. I was told once by an old/bold gentleman in relation to taildraggers: "Never let the nose get more than ten degrees off where you want it to go " And an old skydiving saying that also served me well was" If in doubt, get it out" the reserve parachute that is. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

G'day Brett,

I trained on the Jab 230 & was really surprised at the tourque effect:exclamation:

I had come from a gliding background & didn't expect it at all.

You really have to push that rudder in to counter the power.keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

I also kept doing dirty turns by putting too much or too little into the rudder, 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif again from not allowing for the tourque effect. Great aircraft once you get the hang of it.:thumb_up:

Just love :heart:the sound of that motor - H

Guest Brett Campany

You're not wrong H, I'm going to have to be a little more gentle on the feet and not over steer which is where I went wrong yesterday. Talk about give it some to the right!

So once you throttle on apply more pressure to the right pedal.

Once we were in the air everything was sweet, great sounding engine and love the handling of the Jab. I had a ball flying her and can't wait for my first few lessons!

Just a thought on this. the Jab was originally designed with the KFM engine with less power than the engines it has today. When they reengined they never offsetted the vert fin to help keep it straight. like the cessnas ect have. Anyone near their Jab today like to eyeball the fin. Bet it is straight to the airstream. How about in flight

still need a bit of pedal to keep it straight. Flying a Tiger Moth is a like that.

Ozzie

Hey Brett,

Brings back memories. Early training days in the Allegro at Polo Flat, I can see it now like I'm still on the spot. Just learning the knack of T&Gs with all the stress that comes with doing something new at 40kt on a very narrow and short strip, my subconscious (or unconscious) brain kicked into billy cart mode from childhood days (Michael Coates knows what I mean). Picture it. Power is on, she begins to wander off to the left, the left foot goes down ... ahhhh the fence. Thank goodness Mike grabbed the controls and we just missed spending the next few days repairing his fence. Phew!!

My other notable taxiing incident is one I'd like to forget, but one if it had to happen couldn't have happened at a better time and place. My wife and I were off to Kangaroo Island for a little adventure. We had just run-up on the grass in front of the hangar and only begun taxiing when "BANG" the RH leg snapped dropping the CT onto its belly and wingtip. Imagine that happening on touch down somewhere on KI, the possible write-off and injuries (or worse) and the logistics of getting it back home for repairs (or whatever). Anyway, $10k and 13 mths later we were flying and smiling again.

I love flying, just have to figure out a way to keep away from the ground.

Paul

Hey Brett,begun taxiing when "BANG" the RH leg snapped dropping the CT onto its belly and wingtip.

I love flying, just have to figure out a way to keep away from the ground.

Paul

You were fortunate that's for sure....

Maybe that's why some people become astronauts:confused:, because once there up there it takes a lot of power to get back....006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Luckily Iv'e never had a problem with runway excursions. When I started flying I had throttle problems. Brought up on the farm where a tractor gets louder when the throttle is pulled out, I had a couple of embarrasing moments.

I had a fire in the left wheel of a cessna once. I was taxiing for my third solo flight. My instructor took a call while I was taxiing. As I started I felt that I really had to push on the right pedal to keep it straight.

Anyway halfway down the archerfield taxiiway to 10 we smelt smoke. Jumped out and realised the brakes had ceased. That was a fun couple of hours getting that back up the taxiiway.

Took me quite a while to be able to handle torque turn on takeoff.

I was always fine from a standing start but on touch and go's I was a weapon and twice had lucky escapes departing the fairway into the rough on one occasion severly enough to buckle the rim of the nosewheel. I'd figured it out before I got my own aircraft.

Turned out one of my main issues was not easing the stick forward enough after the landing sequence before I put on the power to put a bit more load on the nose wheel. That and a little more right pedal.

Guest Brett Campany

So a bit of forward stick as well as a touch more right rudder should help this out a little?

I've got my first lesson in a SportCruiser on Friday week and want to make sure I get it right.

Is there any other tips you guys could give me as well?

Not really forward stick but certainly make sure you aren't holding it back any. I only like forward stick when i've got more than 500 feet between the nosewheel and the ground. ;)

But that's only where the nosewheel is steerable. In the sportcruiser it's castoring so wont contribute to directional control.

I was in a Fokker F27 that had a bit of an excursion during the landing roll...... clean off the runway. A bit rough over some of the drains and banks but to his credit the pilot got it back on the black.

Don't worry about a little problem in a Jab in your early stages of training as even the pro's have mishaps.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wayland1

re jab

Don't feel bad. I fly a brand new 170c at Coffs harbour. It was to the point of being dangerous on landing and a pain to taxi. problem being that the main wheels or a wheel is not traking true, pulling hard to the left on landing and wearing out the tyre in 20 hours. It is a bad factory fault. After many visits to the LAME seemed to have fixed it. I like the Jab but if this plane is anything to go by then their workmanship is very sloppy.

Guest Brett Campany

Hopefully they'll sort that out then.

I've got 2 hours booked in the SportCruiser this Friday, looking forward to telling you all about it on Friday night!

Nope! No taxing accidents!

Turned a Tiger on it's back but that because we had stopped flying! :hittinghead:

Don't try it! Personal testimony is that you could possibly break your neck when you undo the harness and fall the two feet to the ground onto your head.

The two little old ladies who watched the performance from a couple of hundred metres away promptly went back to town and told everybody that they had seen an aeroplane crash and OH DEAR!!, that pilot could really swear! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

I know a bloke(not me)that was taxiing an aircraft past a tractor which was slashing the airfield.This pilot decided to give the tractor driver a wave.As he was waving to the tractor driver,his wingtip struck the tractor.That would be pretty embarrassing.