Do you give your passengers a brief in case of emergency?

Guest Brett Campany

Guest Brett Campany

Just wondering if any of you give your passengers, especially those who haven't flown before, an emergency brief in case anything happens while you're out flying?

I'm just wondering because we do a brief before every flight and if ever we have passengers on board they are given a brief and also shown any danger areas of the aircraft.

Now I know the difference in size of these aircraft can't be compared but at the end of the day, what goes up, must eventually come down.

Your thoughts?

Always. Remember a lot of people haven't flown in a small aircraft before and I think it helps their enjoyment and confidence to understand what to do, and what not to do.

I've received my passenger endorsement earlier this year and to date have taken my best mate for a fly. Before we got into the aircraft I gave him a brief as to the nature of the aircraft (a Jabiru UL/D), and how he should get in and out in a safe manner. Once seated, I explained the layout of the aircraft, where he should put his feet, what to touch and what not to touch. I also explained what he should do and not do if an emergency should unfold. I then told him what we do during the flight and where we would be going.

My aim was to make him comfortable with the experience so it would be enjoyable without nasty surprises. End result, a happy passenger who would readily go up again.

My next passenger is hoping to be an 87 year old lady who has been pestering me to finish my license so I can take her for a fly before she shuffles off this mortal coil. She told her doctor she was going for a fly and he told her to enjoy herself for whatever remaining time she has to live. :thumb_up:

Cheers, Mathew

Guest High Plains Drifter

Question Do you give your passengers a brief in case of emergency?

To unknowns - Yes, though it is a 'brief'. As the knowledge is mostly for emergencys I only give a few key easy to remember details. The brief changes depending on aircraft obviously.

Due to experience I now only carry pax that have, or are able to hold, a car licence.

One thing I say to newbys is only touch door handles, airvents, switchs and controls after they have first asked me. If they have flown with me before and are uncertain - ask again.

The no touch exception is in a prang. I demonstrait how to unbuckle belts and open the door. I have the pax show me several times how to do it.

The position of the emerg beacon is shown, and use demonstraited. The pax is told to grab it as soon as they are aware of a problem. I carry a second beacon on my person.

One thing I keep in mind is what to do if a pax grabs a control in panic. If it affects my ability to fly the aircraft my thoughts are a back handed fist to the pax nose may be the quikest 'fix' with the least damage to the pax - broken noses are painful enuf to get attention and controls released, though are easly fixed nowadays. Be interested to see what others think.

Guest Brett Campany

Probably some of the most professional answers I've heard, cheers guys. It is so important to make your pax as comfortable as possible and though some might disagree, I believe a slap in the face when someone grabs controls does the world of good.

HPD, you've reminded me of a flight with my brother. My grandfather used to take me up in a Cessne 172 quite a lot, my older brother had never been so he jumped in the front right seat. During the flight he got airsick and wanted down right there so he grabed the controls and started pushing and pulling things like no other.

Pa knocked him out cold.

We got home in one piece.

Cheers for the answers guys, I was wondering this because even though I've had a fair amount of aviation experience in and out of work, I was still given a lengthy pax brief before both my TIF flights of which I appreciated from the two instructors.

Would love to know of any other horror stories like pulling the mixture to hang a bad on. That sounds like something my wife would do!

Guest Maj Millard

Brett, one of the items on my todo list for about a month now,"Create passenger safety- brief list" why? because I took my only daughter up the coast recently and for some reason, for no reason, I gave her a safety briefing. Maybe because she's starting to take on some of the actual flying, in cruise at least.

I do normally mention doors, and the heel brakes in the Ligthtwing, as I definetly don't want somebody jumping on those without my knowledge on landing. (everything is dual as it's a trainer) And as there is the chance of ending on your back in any taildragger, I mention not to undo your seat belt before supporting you'r weight, lest you fall on head and break neck. ( it has happened )

Since I now have the new beacon, I will include it's location and use. Also the fact that there is a nice survival kit behind us. Cheers, keep up the great work. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Yes, important - there's an old safety report where a light ac went down and it was found the passenger had pulled the mixture control knob out to hang her handbag on it! (true).

I'd also be concerned with a pilot not noticing a handbag hanging from his dash.

Ah, Thanks Markendee! See the raging debate thread on Human Factors.

Even if the Pilot didn't notice the hand bag, he should have picked it up in the emergency checks "Fuel On, Mixture Rich, Switches to Both"!

Classic Human Factors case from all angles