Used aircraft - GA or RAA?

Rob Easther

I'm in the market for a replacement for my X-Air. With the possibilty of buying a GA aircraft like a Cessna 150 under the likely new RAA weight regime, I'm getting all sorts of advice and comparisons with RAA aircraft that has my head spinning and would like to hear more discussion on the topic. I'll write to the magazine editors and ask that someone clever write an article on the pros and cons as this must surely be a hot topic for the very near future.

safety...initial cost...maintenance...aircraft longevity...performance...operating costs...rough field landings/take offs...durability...survivability in a crash

GA Planes For RAA.

There are plenty of suitable planes (2-seaters) out there, that could come in under the 760Kg and have the required stall speed.

Taylorcraft. 2 seat austers, Champion, bellanca, Piper cubs. These types could be rebuilt/restored virtually for ever.They are all steel tube fuselage fabric covered aircraft.

I have an american champion Citabria which I would highly recommend as they are still made and you can buy all the parts. I am surprised they are not more abundant in this country. (citabria is not an italian name, it is "airbatic" backwards.)

The new continental 0-200D and the Lycoming 0-233 are brand new powerplants (developments of the two engines that power probably 90 percent of the two seaters built) that are reliable & with long overhaul life, that would be suitable for re-engining any of these aircraft. (except the bigger engined Decathlon .)..Nev..

Guest check-in

Just my take on this:

C150 or similar:

PROS - proven design, built to a known standard, problems and fixes well-known by LAMEs, fairly rugged, known resale value

CONS - old airframes with resultant possible hidden corrosion, may have done most of life as trainer with resultant possible metal fatigue and assorted bent bits, old-technology engine more expensive to fuel and overhaul

RAA - all-metal (I don't know enough about alternative materials to provide fair comment):

PROS - wide choice of designs from STOL to slippery, light and should be fuel efficient, should be able to get something in near new condition

CONS- fatigue life still unknown due lack of operational experience with most designs, light construction probably won't take the beating a C150 will (may not be a problem if your landings are good and and you don't use rough strips), somewhat at the mercy of the integrity of the builder, some engines still a bit dodgy especially in hot conditions

I recently acquired a two year old Sonex with 100 hours on it and I am delighted. It cost about the same as an 'average' 30 year old C150 assuming plenty of engine hours to run. Because I wanted a taildragger but my budget did not run to an RV 4, this was the best choice for MY taste in flying. However, I have to acknowledge that it is not as comfortable or user-friendly as a C150 and I don't have as much faith in the Jabiru engine as I would in a Continental. Cessna really got their small singles spot-on all those years ago. Good luck with the hunt for a replacement.

Friend of mine with a 7ECA. Recently overhauled Lyc 0-235 so nearly 2400 hrs to run. Wings totally rebuilt recently. The rest is neat. He wants to sell but I suggested he wait until the 760 kg rule comes in. I'd like it myself.

Hello Rob, The C150 was a great little plane in it's day, i owned one a few years ago oh about 10 years ago an F model 1966, 85 kts 90 on a good day, very poor climb in the heat, so much so that 2 people on board and the tanks full mine was 4 hrs, you can get into real strife, even flying on your own with full fuel in the heat requires a fair amount of runway, mind you you can put em down on a footy oval, next thing is they will spin very easy if you get near the right conditions for a spin, and your fuel use will be around 20/ 25 ltrs an hour, it would be a good idea to do an hr or so in an aerobat just to get a feel of the entry and recovery of various unusual attitudes with an aero instructor, because they will bite as will the Tommahawk most would remember the Canarvan accident and that fellow was quite experienced, these aircraft are max weight min power just look at the wing loadings and power loadings it tells you the reality of the expected perfomance, you can purchase stoll kits but they are very expensive and overall they cost heaps to maintain, i fly a jab now and it does it all faster cheaper and safer IE it's not 30 years old, use caution as if the weight increase occurs there will be a flood of alsorts on the market, some will be rubbish there are plenty of planes sitting in hangars all over the place waiting for the moment, so get it well checked out if you go this way better to spend 500 or what ever to check it out than throw 30/or 40000 in the bin, or the ultimate nightmare occuring, don't get me wrong there will be good planes as well which are in good condition, but check the storage locations ie environment humidity moisture, this is why the Yanks store there planes in the Nevarda desert, lower corrosion ect, just keep all these things in mind and enjoy your shopping for the right Aircraft for your needs. all the best Steve:thumb_up: