Newbie from Adelaide

Mikey_A

Hello everyone. Just want to comment on the excellent threads I have been reading on this site. I stumbled on it after searching on google for "Cost of owning own aircraft" and glad I found it!

I'm a 28 year old aviation nerd just about to embark on gaining my Recreational Certificate after having to stop my GA training a few years ago for personal reasons. I got to 20.8 hours (2 hours solo) in a Diamond DA-20 at Parafield and I was very reluctant to stop. Now after receiving a subscription to Pacific Flyer magazine as a birthday present, and having a love for the Jabiru aircraft, I've got the bug and I'm taking the leap and going for it again.

I'm trying to decide between Murray Bridge Light Aircraft Flying School and RPA at Murray Bridge. Can anyone give me any recommendations?

Once again I like this site and shall become a regular visitor to the forums.

Cheers

Michael.

Guest rxbrumby

If you live down south you might like to look into Adelaide Biplanes also. I know there a little bit dearer to train with but all there aircraft are only 1 year old or less. There are 2 brand new sportstars which are fantastic things to fly, and 2 sport cubs which are the only ones in australia that i know of. They have a realy nice cafe there too! If you are ever down that way send me a pm and I will be more than happy to take you for a ride in my minicab.

scott

I have thought about them as I live down south (Happy Valley) but I'm thinking about the hip pocket. $180/hr for the Sportstar at Aldinga compared to $130/hr in the Jabiru at Murray Bridge.

I work with a bloke named Brian who owns a Cessena 172 down there who showed me around and took me for a fly a little while ago. Not a bad place Aldinga. I might take you up on the offer of a fly, I hardly ever say no to getting off the ground.

Guest ricardo

Hi Mikey,

I'm doing some conversion training with MBLAFS, and have been aloft in RPA's Jabiru too.

Both excellent schools, lighter on the hip pocket than Aldinga, you'd probably be happy with either. I'd suggest you talk to both, and decide which instructor you feel most comfortable with. For me the choice was made because of the available plane, nothing else.

G'day and welcome Mikey. I hire and fly from RPA and can thoroughly recommend them. Great team of instructors, on line booking, great venue with class rooms and common room/tea room. BBQ every Thursday. The old LSA55 are good to learn in, or you may be lucky to get the J160 at a slightly higher price. Their Lightwing tail dragger should be back on line in 09 if you want to go that way. Anyway, have a look at their site:

Recreational Pilots Academy Home page

Hope to see you down there one day. Safe flying

good point about the instructor

Mikey,

Congrats on getting back into flying.

I made my decision on a place based on the instructor and the feel and vibe on site. Price is one thing but if you are not happy withthe scene or the way the instructor gets on with you then the money is no issue.

I will get blasted for saying this by the wonderful Jab fraternity but the Jabs are harder to learn to fly for the average Joe than say a gazelle of even warriors and 172'sand even the Sportstars. This means the cheap hours may cost you a lot more money going towards your solo and rec license. On the other hand you might just "nail it"

I have 80 hrs in Jabs and they do you make you a better pilot.

:devil:

Thanks

Thankyou all for your input, much appreciated. Doug, thanks for the offer, sorry I didn't get back to you, just got back from a small trip home to Whyalla. I'll be making plenty of phone calls on the weekend and getting into the flying in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers again.

Michael.

Decision made.

I'm meant to be tidying up before the Grandparents come over but thought I would just quickly mention I've decided on Adelaide Biplanes at Aldinga to do my training. Cost is slightly higher but they seem like a pretty professional outfit. Plus I looked into the Sportstar a bit more and it's very similar to the Diamond DA20 I was previously learning in (I can always do a conversion later!!!).

So thank you again to all who put their 2 cents worth in and to Scott and Doug who made those generous offers, maybe I'll be seeing you guys around down at YADG.

Cheers

Michael.

Good onya Mickey, Martyn and his crew will lok after you. Mind you, you'll find the Sportstar a bit tame compared to a Jab. You'll also cook under that canopy. good luck all the same

Guest basscheffers

By "tame" I take it you mean: "doesn't have as many bad habits", don't you? ;)

I've never been cooked; there is a big fan in the front, you know? keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Hi Mickey and welcome. I did a bit of time in DA-20s in California when they had 912s in them. Nice machine with performance somewhere between a C152 and C172 but a bit slicker than both, if you know what I mean.That is how I remember them anyway.............024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Checked out YADG today.

I went down to YADG to enlist and ended up having a couple of coffee's and a 2 hour discussion about what we all talk about on here. I tried to get a lesson in today on short notice but to no avail. However I am booked in for two single lessons on the 19th in the Sportstar.

I was told that all the hours I've already done towards the GA license will count and after a check ride or two I should be able to continue on my way which should make it about 10-12 hours. I can't wait!

So to those who are regulars down at Aldinga, hopefully I'll be seeing you guys around and who knows, by the years end, I might be taking you guys for a fly!!!

I'll probably start a new thread in regards to my first Ultralight flying lesson, then one for the first solo, then one for the first Nav Ex and so on and so on, I hope you don't mind.

You haven't heard the last from me!!!

Michael.

Hey Mikey,

I'm flying the sportstar at parafield and it's definitely good fun to fly. Good luck with your training, I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Your sportstars will probably be the new fandangly ones with a glass cockpit, gps and electronic trim. *slightly jealous*. Hehe, after I get my ticket I'll most likely try to get down to aldinga and have a fly in one of those too.

Guest basscheffers

So am I; not many people know this, but there is one school there (Forsyth Aviation) which has a special exception from CASA to operate from the GAAP CTR. YPPF currently does not have a landing charge for ultralights.

I live in Greenwith so Aldinga and Murray Bridge are just too far away for me...

Hopfully there will be more of us recreationals based at YPPF once the CTA endorsement comes in!

• 2 weeks later...