Flooding carby`s rotax

Guest rosco triker

Guest rosco triker

Greetings every one hope we are all getting some air time over Xmas, would any body be able to give me an idea on why two bing carby`s on a Rotax 582 would flood ? chokes are off,the carby`s have been cleaned needle and seat checked appear to be alright no dirt and no circle to show signs of wear on the needle, float levels not checked but closed up with no effect the compression appears to be strong,the trike has been sitting in a container for two years the previous owner was pre mixing his fuel as he did not trust the oil injection system. it appears as though the fuel is being drawn into the carbs when the engine is running (of sorts) will run for a short period and then stalls ,have not tried to hard for fear of washing the oil from the cylinder walls.091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

Nylon needle? suggest replacing

Also suggest resetting float level to manufacturer's recommendation using vernier

Fuel pump? Does it's output pressure exceed the input capability of the float jet.

Gravity feed? Has the fuel tank been raised...too much pressure?

Corrosion in the needle chambers causing sticking?

Guest rosco triker

Turbo planner, metal needle no corrosion,fuel tank is as standard,can the fuel pump create to much pressure? float levels have been set to the manufacturer`s specs not to sure but will keep on trying until we get it right thanks for the reply

Rosco:hittinghead:

If it runs for a while then stalls, is it a flooding problem? How long does it run for? What colour are the plugs? Is the fuel pump not producing enough pressure? If it has been sitting for a few years the pump may have packed it in?

i_dunno Scotty

Hi

The floats do become saturated with fuel and loose their boyancy as I have found out first hand and the only solution is to replace the units. The floats are worth nearly as much as the darn carbies unfortunately. What happened to me is that the motor run fine on warmup and cruise but when I came in on the glide approach it become very rich and if a go around was necessary the 582 would cough and splutter until she cleared, not much good if the strip was marginal!

Best of luck with fixing your problem.

Knighty

Guest rosco triker

Not a bad suggestion Knighty the trouble is the carbs are flooding right from start up and then floods out to a stall.dont no if the floats are saturated as the machine has been sitting with no fuel in them for the two years.

Thank you for your suggestions

Rosco

Guest rosco triker

:hug:greetings All have found the problem with the carbys the two outlets on the carby`s that have a clear hose that runs from one side of the carby and down and around to the opposite side of the same carb had been changed out with a slighly smaller diameter hose that it should have been, this obviously created a suction inside of the carbs drawing to much fuel,this, was dicovered while trying to see if should be going to a different source, as soon as the hoses were removed the motor run like a dream (as two-strokes do) .It turns out that the previous owner had changed out some of the fuel lines, apparently had problems with the machine flooding after this, when we picked up the machine to inspect it, he stated that the motor would not run ,but was flooding. (I tend to think this was why he wanted to sell the trike?) the chap that bought the trike had taken a punt on this not being a major problem.( Whew)

Alls Well that ends well.

Thank you for the assistance every one, this is a great forum thank you Ian.

More information refarding the over flow hoses the two oulets are to drain away any overflow from the carby,thus both hoses have two 1/16 th size hole`s in the lower end of the drain hose, having these holes appears to make quite a difference.

Regards

Rosco Triker :thumb_up: