25nm radius for non x-country pilots

Tomo

When you get your certificate, your limited to the 25nm radius right...well can you land within that radius? or do you have to land at the departure point...question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

It probably has all the do's and don'ts in the book I haven't got yet, but I was just interested, because our neighbour has a strip a few hundred mtrs from our back fence. And it would be kinda cool to be able to fly and land there once I'm certified and before I was x-country endorsed...:big_grin: I'm 40klm from the flight school, so that's within the 25nm radius.

Thanks in advance:thumb_up:

Guest Brett Campany

IAW the RAAus Ops manual Section 2.01 para 4. the note in conjunction with Cross Country flying states -

Consecutive flights of 25nm do not comply with this requirement.

Guest Brett Campany
I'm confused:loopy:As Tomo said 25 nautical miles is 46km so if you live 40km away why can't you land there???

There's nothing in the Ops Manual as far as I can see for now, that says that you can't land there. I don't think there's an issue with it. Probably best to chat to the CFI or management of where you hire the aircraft to make sure they're ok with it.

Tell me how you go cause I'm also going to ask my instructor about a few airfields within 25nm of my training airfield that I'd like to land and visit.

I believe it's OK to land at another strip within the 25nm. What the rule is saying is that you can't then make that strip the starting point for a new 25nm flight, unless it remains 25nm from the original departure point. ie - the home field is always the centre of the 25nm area you can fly in.

I reckon it's a great idea at that stage of training to fly to a nearby field and land. You get the learning of approaching and landing on a new field, without the added burden of a navigation exercise to get there.

I certainly did it.

I believe it's OK to land at another strip within the 25nm. What the rule is saying is that you can't then make that strip the starting point for a new 25nm flight, unless it remains 25nm from the original departure point. ie - the home field is always the centre of the 25nm area you can fly in.I reckon it's a great idea at that stage of training to fly to a nearby field and land. You get the learning of approaching and landing on a new field, without the added burden of a navigation exercise to get there.

I certainly did it.

That's great to hear...:thumb_up: I will chat to the instructor about it, I just wondered if it was a possibility before I bothered him....:big_grin:

Thanks a lot guys,

It is fine to do what you suggest.I did it for years at my strip which is 11nm from YFBS.The only reason I actually did my XC endo was because my BFR was coming up,as was a club flying trip,so I decided to sort of combine the two.

Application.

It's nothing to do with landing. It's a concession against being navigation qualfied . There is an assumption that you have some local knowledge. You range a certain distance from your base and land and do what ever you like within that area. When you want to spread your wings and make the whole world your oyster, the you get the X-country qualification. Nev..