Conveyed in Comfort and Style

Guest pelorus32

Guest pelorus32

It's not often you get to sit there and enjoy the view and enjoy the ride. No map reading, no flying just sit there (and shut up thanks) and we'll get there fine.

For the first time yesterday girl child conveyed her father in style and comfort through the glories of dairy cow country - YLED - YOLA - YCDE - YLED. I casually mentioned as we taxiied that she should remember that she was PIC and I was just along for the ride. I needn't have worried. What I hadn't counted for was that I was sitting next to the aerial equivalent of Captain Bligh. "Pass me that chart - no not on the clipboard, and fold it properly will you?". "Keep quiet in the circuit, I'm concentrating." "You're a bit of a right seat flier you know and you can just stop it thanks!!".

Righto then, sit down, shut up and speak only when you're spoken to. Got that.

It was a lovely day and girl child did a very creditable job of getting us on the ground in a little crosswind at Colac after one elegantly executed go-around. Then on to Cobden with the vis deteriorating drastically with dust/smoke. A nicely judged landing on the southerly runway then heading home.

On the way home the boss catered very nicely with the building sea breeze which had replaced the earlier westerly. I listened in to the CT4s - more than 1 I think Matt - in the circuit at Penfield and soon enough we were approaching Lethbridge where hawkeye had the strip in sight well before the decrepit senior citizen in the RH seat.

Not a bad effort for 17 years old I thought. I could get very used to being conveyed in such style - I just wish she'd let me talk!!

Regards

Mike

I listened in to the CT4s - more than 1 I think Matt - in the circuit at Penfield

Hmmm, wasn't us, we were down Lakes Entrance way all weekend...there are a few Parrots around Melbourne who are venturing beyond their home strips. Our LAME at Penfield was telling us about one from Moorabbin that dropped into Penfield about a week ago...apparently they know us (or of us) but I didn't get the rego or # from my LAME.

Must be a proud moment to be taken aloft for the first time by one of your children...even with her obvious dominant nature...where's that come from Mike ;)

Guest pelorus32
Hmmm, wasn't us, we were down Lakes Entrance way all weekend...there are a few Parrots around Melbourne who are venturing beyond their home strips. Our LAME at Penfield was telling us about one from Moorabbin that dropped into Penfield about a week ago...apparently they know us (or of us) but I didn't get the rego or # from my LAME.Must be a proud moment to be taken aloft for the first time by one of your children...even with her obvious dominant nature...where's that come from Mike ;)

I thought the rego of one of them was 018.

As for the dominant nature of the offspring. She is the quietest person you have ever met. But when she has something to say it's worth listening.

There's an old joke: Someone meets a bloke and says "what do you do?" Bloke says "I'm a Qantas 2nd officer". "Right" says the first bloke "What's that mean, what's your job?"

"I'm the captain's sexual advisor" says the second officer.

First bloke looks a bit bewildered: "How do you mean mate, I don't understand?" "Well" says the second officer "last time I opened my mouth the captain turn round and said 'listen son if I want your effing advice I'll ask for it!!' so I figured I must be his sexual advisor".

I was reflecting on that joke as I was conveyed around on the weekend feeling just like the second officer.

I have a friend who was a QF long haul captain and he reckons girl child has the exact demeanour to make a good captain!!

Regards

Mike

Guest pelorus32
Nice one.. That'd hafta make you proud.. What sort of acft is she flying??

Tecnam P92 - she has time in both the S and the Super.

Regards

Mike

Guest pelorus32

Several kind posters have commented that I must be proud.

What I am in fact is very respectful. She has worked really hard, she's done the hard work, had to change flying schools in the middle of her training and had to cope with some personal challenges.

She's coped with it all with steely determination and a really down to earth approach.

I still tell her that it's not just great S&R skills though. It's also cunning and the capacity to manage and maintain situational awareness.

Anyway a great day.

Regards

Mike

That is fantastic Mike.

The funny thing is I heard a stupid story on the radio today, about how 17 year olds are way to young to drive a car. Some people said they should have hundreds of hours before being allowed to drive alone, some said they should not be able to take passengers.

I was itching to phone in and say there are plenty of pilots younger than that. I was going to say there are 16 year olds being driven to the airport to take their parents flying, and they could take friends flying right around the country. I wanted to say most of them were flying solo by 15 hours or so (some much less).

Perhaps part of the process of learning to fly is learning to make command decisions, situational awareness, managing the unexpected, and perhaps this teaches young people a sense of responsibility they don't normally get when learning to drive.

I didn't phone as I didn't have the phone number, so I'm putting it on here instead!

Change of Title.

Might have to review the title of "girl child". Has conitations that might not be all positive. She must be very good at person management to keep you in your box. Luckily , my father had never been up in a light aircraft when I took him for a ride in a Tiger, so I got it easy. Regards Mike, Nev.

Being a girl i would assume that she will not get the rush of blood to the head causing dangerous flying to impress others, as most of the rest of us have.

As far as car driving goes, my opinion is that boys should be taught as soon as they are big enough to reach the controls, which should be when they are still young enough to not be to cocky.

Guest pelorus32

G'day RR,

Thanks for the post. I just enjoyed reading your blog. You sound like you're going great guns.

Enjoy it.

Regards

Mike

Guest 3rd dimension

Mike

I had the pleasure of finally taking my father for the well overdue first flight. Dad strated to fly a long time ago but never finished his training.

So speaking from a sons point of view there is nothing more satisfying [ and nerve wracking ] than to take your father for a fly.

We went from Canberra down to Merrimbula then up the coast to Kiama then back home. Great day - smooth air.

I say well done on your daughter - sound like she has her hea around being a pilot.

Adam