Drifter heading overseas!

Vorticity

Good news! I have sold my certified drifter. The more interesting news is that it now has to be moved to christmas island out in the pacific ocean! Suggestions of putting a big tank in the back seat have been rejected so I am now working through moving it to a shipping company at Brisbane shipping dock.

Does anyone have any advice regarding boxing up a drifter? Where could you get the boxes and what sizes would be best?

It could be an interesting month getting this all done :thumb_up:

Congratulations Vorticity - what a great fun challenge - flying it over there would have been even more fun but 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif - hope you get a chance to travel over there some time later to see how she goes

A long time ago, prior to the modern container ships, a relative of mine decided to emigrate to Oz and was wondering how to send all his house hold effects. Too many boxes, too much furniture, too little money. His solution. ... buy an old, barely running, furniture van, pack it, seal it and send it as deck cargo. Didn't matter it got salt corrosion as it was to be dumped after it was landed and driven to his new home in Perth. Every thing arrived in ship shape order and he used the van for a time before 'dumping' it.

A long time ago, prior to the modern container ships, a relative of mine decided to emigrate to Oz and was wondering how to send all his house hold effects. Too many boxes, too much furniture, too little money. His solution. ... buy an old, barely running, furniture van, pack it, seal it and send it as deck cargo. Didn't matter it got salt corrosion as it was to be dumped after it was landed and driven to his new home in Perth. Every thing arrived in ship shape order and he used the van for a time before 'dumping' it.

Good idea... what about an old caravan?

Guest Maj Millard

Last time I shipped an aircraft from the States in a container, it arrived with some sort of stuff sprayed all over it. Then it got put on a train from Bris to Townsville in the middle of summer, so in the very hot container the 'stuff' sweated over everything. Pain in the axx to clean up. Must of been some kind of 'anti -microbial' spray, as I also had some wood furniture in the same container. The old furniture truck idea sounds good, or you can buy some wood and make a big crate.

The old furniture truck idea sounds good, or you can buy some wood and make a big crate.

Unfortunately, a wooden crate cant be driven to and from the port. Probably cheaper, and definitely easier, to use the van.

The buyer pays half for the van and then sells on.

• 3 weeks later...
Too many boxes, too much furniture, too little money. His solution. ... buy an old, barely running, furniture van, pack it, seal it and send it as deck cargo. Didn't matter it got salt corrosion as it was to be dumped after it was landed and driven to his new home in Perth.

I don`t have any experience shiping anything but I couldn`t help saying what a great idea and solution this is, to a rather complex situation.

Cheers,

Frank.

"Always Something To Learn".

At this stage I am finalising the plan....

His container will be moved from brisbane to a field near gatton where the drifter will have the wings and wing covers removed, boxed and awaiting loading. We will load it all into the container and the truck will take it back to Brisbane.

I'll let you know how it all goes!

• 3 months later...
Good news! I have sold my certified drifter. The more interesting news is that it now has to be moved to christmas island out in the pacific ocean! Suggestions of putting a big tank in the back seat have been rejected so I am now working through moving it to a shipping company at Brisbane shipping dock.Does anyone have any advice regarding boxing up a drifter? Where could you get the boxes and what sizes would be best?

It could be an interesting month getting this all done :thumb_up:

Not being picky, but last time i was at Christmas Island, it was in the Indian ocean.

You possibly could've done it with floats, and met one of the trawler motherships.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

There is a christmas island near Hawaii and that is where the dirfter is now being pu together. The move was a great success, very much thanks to wayne fisher at spectrum aviation.

My apologies, i wasn't aware there were others, I also had thoughts about "driftering" to Easter island??!! Great to hear it all worked out:thumb_up: