Jabiru Quick Drain Sump Plug

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

Hi Guys.

Posted this pic for those with Jabiru engines that are interested.

Available from Aircraft Spruce in the US.

Part number S5020J.

AUD$40 + Freight.

Makes changing the oil very easy - you don't even need to remove the bottom cowl off a Jab. FAA approved.

Easy to use; just whack on a drain hose, push and twist.

Only downside is that the outlet is quite small so you need to make sure that your oil is fairly hot, which realistically you should be doing anyway.

Regards.

20061022_231138_sump.jpg.aaf9709b9901c7064a649778c488ce0f.jpg

Hi shop Me too. But there are no fuel Mr funnels in the forum shop.

Regards

- Ross they are available but haven't entered them into the shop just yet - if you need one just let me know

Guest Vigilant

Is there any danger with the drain vibrating loose? With most engine components & vital areas lock wired for good reason (sump plutson Rotax 912) is this a good idea just for the sake of convenience?

Just a thought.

Guest Fred Bear

Very Vigiliant Mr. Vigilant! I took the photo prior to fitting the lock-wire to it. There are several holes for fitting the lock wire to it so that you can ensure it stays tight. Personally I'd be surprised if it vibrated off, but you never know.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is on and with the new exhaust on the 3300 engine it sits close to the pipes.

Here is a pic from below. I am aware that they push in a fair way when opened and thatshould give room to fit the drain tube.

How does yours look Ross?

I am in the middle of corresponding direct with Saf-Air as I thought they might make an elbow to go into the sump plug and then attached the drain pointing down. They don't. They offered the option to cut off the hose tail and attach a larger tube over the knurled section. I have sent them the pic and am awaiting more developments.

Edit ... just noticed Don's post on this very issue. Where did you get the elbow from Don? I understand that the thread is 1/2" 20.

Also noticed your comment about temp Clem. I think Saf-Air spec a max temp which I assume is for the welbeing of the O-rings inside the unit. That's my worry leaving it as it is.

Regards The Wagga Geoff

Captain

6546.jpg.271454fb6bb29cf4ccfd5487fc8bcdf8.jpg

I had to get the elbow made as the threads are straight - not tapered.

Also , I got the same drain plug from AEROWARE NZ in two days for less than $50 ( including ) post!

Hi Geoff

My valve is still in the packet, see above. The photo was taken probably ten minutes before I posted it. You are way ahead of me. I have suddenly also realised that I must do something with the fairings. So a wing prefit makes a lot of sense. However I still have to close up the fuselage. So there is a fair bit of work there.

I am on about my third readjustment of behind the panel wiring at the moment (too embarrassed for photographs!). I saw a professional job on a Jabiru panel about two years ago in Wagga. I wish I had taken lots of photos.

Regards

Hi Theo

Yes I am sure about the cost. I made the fatal mistake of selecting Fed X-press. So the detail was:

Unit price $US31.60 Freight $US37.63 Total $US69.30 = $A93.85 Ouch

Next time I will be far more careful.

Regards

Don

Do you have a pic of your oil-drain elbow?

Where are you located and is there any chance that you can get anotherone made for me?

If so what are they worth?

Regards Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Iv'e just saved myself between $38 and $90. By not buying it.

When I do oil changes it is time to look at the underside of the engine anyway so I consider it jusy a gimmick and something else to go wrong.

Ian gimmick or not that one way looking at it. I don'tthink you would have a problem inspecting top down with cowl removed the engine's underside with a good light source and a telescopic mirroror having a hard look up the bottom cowl hole with torch.Cheers

• 2 weeks later...