Zenith Zodiac CH 601 HD

Guest drizzt1978

Guest drizzt1978

I have been researching different planes that I am considering purchasing. (Well going 1/2 share woth some one!)

One that visually appeals to me Is the Zodiac, they are quite pleasant on the eye and seem to represent everything that is needed.

Firstly are they RA AUS approved.....The stall speed seems to be too high??

But good old wikipedia got me thinking:

Incidents

In the Netherlands, the Dutch government grounded the 12 Dutch-registered CH601 XLs on October 24th, 2008. The planes were banned from flying pending an investigation into their structural strength, following the crash of a European variant of the design (Rotax powered and 450 KG MTOW) that killed two people. According to the Dutch government, since 2005 'at least seven accidents with Zenith CH601 XL's have happened in which one or both wings have failed'.[8] Zenair Europe has listed all known causes for these accidents [9] (none are due to a design defect) and, after a first-hand review of the wreckage, now also rejects suggestions that the aircraft in the Dutch accident experienced a structural failure. [10] The investigation is on-going.

Granted these seem to be an "Ultra Light" version and manufactured in America not Canada if I have my facts correct.

So they seem to be quite cheap?

They look nice?

BUT

How do they fly??

Do they have a bad reputation??? <--- sorry if that upsets anyone

So Any help would be appreciated!!

By the way A Jabiru SP6 looks like my favourite at the moment..Just wish the cockpit was bigger!!!031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Guest check-in

I don't think the earlier ones had the structural problems; however as always here, I stand to be corrected.

Initially I was rather interested in one myself. Then I flew one and was disappointed. Slow and draggy, but that is the price one pays for something relatively roomy. The taildragger version may be better, but these are rare.

If speed is not an issue, for a beginner aeroplane the 701 or Savannah looks like better deal. Of course they are ugly. That's why they fly so well - the earth repels them.

No, I don't own one of these either. I settled for a Sonex and am very happy with it. Very easy to fly, but maybe not quite suited to a beginner and not as roomy as the 601 or 701.

I do not have a lot of knowledge of the HD but the 601 XL is a very nice plane. It will cruise around 110 knots with most power plants. There is around 50 being built here in Australia at the moment. The newer version is the 650 XL. It has even more room inside the cabin. Sports air on the gold coast can give you more details or feel Free to contact me off line for any further help.

Ianrat

Too many accidents, and dramas for my liking.

There were two major crashes here in Australia in as many months. They are ugly as hell too.

Maybe you wish to meet an early demise. In that case I would say canopies away!

Guest drizzt1978

HMMMM..... thanks guys....yeah not impressed with the lack of enthusiasm from people and the accidents... Perhaps I should stick to the JAB gets the job done, just not sexy!!

Jab would be a great aircraft if it had a decent reliable engine :(, and trim that worked and a few other things.

Buy a virus that is my dream machine :)

jabs have reliable engines, you just have to treat them right.... run them hard! our school jab has always been run hard, and is on its 3 rd engine now, every engine went to TBO without a hitch. the airframe has 6000 hrs now.

if you baby a jab engine, it will not like it. run them at full power often, to free up the rings and remove carbon and lead deposits. in cruise we have a minimum RPM of 2800.

• Like 1

Tell that to two of my Friends who have had to replace bores before 100 hrs.

As for the canopy the one on the Gold Coast i believe was a bird strike (A few birds took down a 737 on the Hudson) at low altitude. And i do not believe that the final outcome of the second one has even been released yet.

Ianrat

• 3 years later...
Tell that to two of my Friends who have had to replace bores before 100 hrs.As for the canopy the one on the Gold Coast i believe was a bird strike (A few birds took down a 737 on the Hudson) at low altitude. And i do not believe that the final outcome of the second one has even been released yet.

Ianrat

Has there ever been an accident report or cause on the second CH601 accident. I think it was in Qld somewhere??

Cheers

I have not heard officially, but have been told that the the canopy open during flight. If the canopy opens it will pull up and then force the plan down.

There is no way you will be able to pull it back down.

This is has been rectified by the requirement to install a secondary latching system.

Ianrat

CH601XLB

Brisbane