Cessna 150 <----would you?

Guest drizzt1978

Guest drizzt1978

So the question is, would you buy a very very tidy Cessna, when the new MTOW is approved?

I mean you have to consider it??

Compare it too what is available...Its not too thirsty! There are plent of clean ones?

But what about age? What about corrosion?

But its tried and tested for so many years.

There are many with 1000hrs left before a rebuild, so If you only keep it for 100 or so, Does it make sense?

Well I will leave it open for debate?

Its certainly got me thinking.....

Even if it is a bit more expensive to fix

Guest Maj Millard

I'd be going backwards, I learnt to fly in them in the early ninetys. The 912 Lightwing I currently fly takes just as much skill to fly, and probabily performs better. I do have fond memories of my first long xcountrys in them though, and they were a challange at the time that led into 172s.

Maintenance will be a problem, I just can't see CASA allowing Level 2 or owner- performed maintenance on an aircraft of that type. At the very least they will require maintenance per manufacturers requirements which is what they undergo now.

If money and availability weren't too bad you might see me go for a Cessna 120 or 140 for that classic touch, but in honesty, I'm not sure why the C150 would be a better choice than something like a lightwing or a Jab.

Feel free to correct me, but it seems that a C150 burns about 25l/h for 95kt as opposed to say a Jab with 15 odd l/h and 100kt cruise. It would be like buying a Kingswood when there was a later model Comodore available for the same money.

Unless you've always wanted a 150, in which case go for it!!

Guest brentc

Yep, in a flash if I didn't have my Jab. As long as there's plenty of hours left for the amount of cash that I have in my wallet for when it comes to replacing the engine. They are solid, reliable, easy to fly and should have good resale. Sure they sometimes have corrosion, but so do most older metal aircraft. They have a bullet proof engine and are fun to fly, particularly the Aerobat models.

All great, if you're happy with 90 knots!

Guest Maj Millard

Yes there would be a lot of old ones around that you just wouldn't want unless you've got buckets of money to throw at them. There are nice ones still out there, you just have to find them.

Personally if the weight did go up, and I was interested in that type, I'd be looking more along the lines of a Luscombe 8A, RV-4, or Aeronca Chief or champ, or J3 cub which are also great little aircraft..........................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest drizzt1978

WOW!! Such a varied response, gives me a lot to think about!!

Any more comments would be great.

The reason I ask is i found one that somebody recently sunk 12k into it, Still had 1000 hr left on the engine and 800 on the prop...And i was like hmmmm whats wrong with this for 40k??...Despite the T model type thing, but funadamentally nothing has changed!!

wrong with this for 40k??...

It's about 20k to expensive:laugh:

As others have said why waste money burning 25lt hour at a 90knts when you can burn 15 at 100knts.

I can understand a 120 or 140 for the vintage feel or even a cub but a dirty old cessna 150thumb_down

Yep, I forgot to mention the one bonus for a Cessna is that you could probably leave one parked outside for a lengthy period without an issue.

I saw a 182 from one of the properties out here a while back - all looked normal until you looked on top of the wings, which had the flaking paint equivalent of barnacles on a boat's hull!! Ber she still goes like a treat.

a Jabiru will fly faster for less money.

I have plenty of jabiru time in older lsa55 types.They don't do any more than 90kts.They are worth 30-40k.A 30-40k c150 will do roughly the same speed.If I was flying over water or the great dividing range,I really would like to be in the cessna.I have seen the aftermath of more than a couple of jab engines that ceased operation for various reasons ranging from thrown conrods to broken cylinder retaining bolts to broken flywheel bolts.I'm not saying one is any better as an aircraft but one of these engines is clearly head and shoulders above the other.

Guest drizzt1978
I have plenty of jabiru time in older lsa55 types.They don't do any more than 90kts.They are worth 30-40k.A 30-40k c150 will do roughly the same speed.If I was flying over water or the great dividing range,I really would like to be in the cessna.I have seen the aftermath of more than a couple of jab engines that ceased operation for various reasons ranging from thrown conrods to broken cylinder retaining bolts to broken flywheel bolts.I'm not saying one is any better as an aircraft but one of these engines is clearly head and shoulders above the other.

Well two LAME's that I know agree with this, they say that JABS are tempromental, compared to a Cessna, they rarely see recurring mechanical issues......

By the way one loves RV's and other many types of "kit" type planes...so he not a GA lover!!! or a RAAUS hater;)

By less money, I ment the fuel and maintenance. But your right, the Cessna does have an engine wont pop feel about it.

Guest Brett Campany

I couldn't so it after flying such a great aircraft to learn in and the fact that there's so many great newer aircraft out there, nah just couldn't do it.

The GA engines have been proven over a long period but the jabs are running commodore pistons and (I beleive) sort of "making it up as they go".I have never personally had a problem with a jab engine,apart from ice on cruise,but cannot beleive that people rego a jab with a vh on the side and then go flying around (legally) in the dark.

The GA engines have been proven over a long period but the jabs are running commodore pistons and (I beleive) sort of "making it up as they go".I have never personally had a problem with a jab engine,apart from ice on cruise,but cannot beleive that people rego a jab with a vh on the side and then go flying around (legally) in the dark.

Couldn't agree more Skydog, It would feel the same as driving an Ex Taxi EA falcon on the Dakar rally, you would be waiting for the "BANG"

Guest mike_perth

Yup I would tomorrow - Cessna reliability proven design sure a little long in the tooth one that has all AD's complied, with was and is well maintained sure would make a good buy in my opinion

Guest ozzie

yes, even an old almost out of hours model would be good value for a first aircraft, there is nothing difficult about the maintanence. what you have to do for a modern 912 powered metal ultralight is about the same. just have to learn how to service magnetos. the best types would come from inland areas away from salt and pollution. corrosion should be minimal limited to areas like the underside of the top skins caused by condensation. with an old almost out of hours you could fly it for some time the you could just about get your bucks back by breaking it up for parts. maybe in a few years the LAME requierment might be relaxed and you can do some of the work yourself under supervision similar to some of the US regs would make it even more benificial.

ozzie

Guest brentc
but cannot beleive that people rego a jab with a vh on the side and then go flying around (legally) in the dark.

Careful! Them fightin' words you're using there!

Find me a single engine Private NVFR fatality in Australia in recent times that doesn't involve bad weather, pilot incapacitation or downright stupidity and we'll talk turkey. What I mean is that there are no instances that I am aware of in recent times of a Private single engine NVFR fatality in OZ caused by engine mechanical malfunction. Night flying is about preparation, planning, honed skills and experience and it's not fraught with danger as many people believe it is.

The cat was really put amongst the pidgeons several years ago at Narromine when a J400 was flying around at midnight!

Back on topic though, I would think $40k would be the top end price for this aircraft.

There are 9 150's or 152's in the current aviation trader.

They are priced at:

150M Aerobat ETR1480, PTR700, TT8955, $46k+GST

150 Straight tail, TT5,600, ETR190 $25k

150 Straight tail, 6,420TT, expired engine, $22k

150F 4045 TTIS, 1,560 ETR, Prop 1,400HTR - no price

150G 3 seater TT4,190, ETR1,035 $32k + GST

150G TTIS 9532 ETR 1,720 Prop 300HTR $39k

150L 3,020TT, 1150 SMOH, 0 prop $32,500

152 TT7,850, ETR1,300 prop 1160 no price

152 50 SMOH ETR1,700 $55k.

ETR - Hours left on engine before overhaul is required (unless run on condition)

PTR - Hours to run on prop before overhaul or replacement is required

SMOH - Hours since major overhaul

TT - Total time in service

TITS - Not appropriate in this forum 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

TTIS - Total time in service

Guest ozzie

there are also plenty of speed and stol kits available, you can even loose that nose gear and put a bit of spice in your life with a TD kit. if weight allows you can also up the HP to 150hp.

As for flyng at night in the States there are PPGs flying at night just need the rating and lights. easier to navigate at nite the towns ae easier to find and to confirm the airport you are passing just turn the lights on via the pal.

Ozzie

Guest Maj Millard

There's a very nice 150 for sale up this way. About a 10 inside and out with all the mods and ads up to date. He was asking 32k last time I spoke with him. Last time I saw him take off, I didn't think the 5000' strip was going to be long enough though!!. Maybe he needs a 912s in it.