Flight safety magazine, who reads?

Do you receive the Flight safety magazine?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Do you receive the Flight safety magazine?

• Yes
    • No

Guest davidh10

Well I voted "No" because I don't receive it or subscribe to notifications in any way. The question wasn't "do you read it?" Was it meant to be?

As it is also published electronically, I download it and read it on my laptop. It's a good read.

Guest eland2705

Thanks Guys (and Gals) for the 'heads up". I was not aware of the availability of the FSA in soft form. I've seen them around at the Club and found them very interesting. I'm now on the list!

It is amazing what you learn when you are a member of this forum

Just for your tears CFI, I scanned a couple of stories from the 1977 Aviation Safety Digests.

I'd love to find the one where the old farmer flew across to the neighbours place early in the morning and landed on a clay pan, then later in the day loaded the machinery item he wanted to borrow, and offered to take up the neighbour and a couple of friend for a joy flight when the temperature was well over 30.

The performance charts would have told him he needed approximately twice the length of the clay pan with this load and temperature but he never did calculations. STRIKE 1

He hit the gas, and 3/4 way across the claypan, with plenty of space to brake to a stop, he opted to use the bank of the swamp as a take off ramp. STRIKE 2

It worked, throwing the aircraft into the air, but he didn't have flying speed so he bounced it back on the ground, and could have braked to a stop. STRIKE 3

He still wanted to fly, so he pulled the stick back and got into the air, only to realise he couldn't outclimb a telephone line, so he bounced it down under the line, and could have braked to a stop. STRIKE4

He had momentum when he pulled the stick back but by this time was severely shaken and stalled it, straight into the ground. All four occupants were killed.

AS I CONCLUDE THIS I SEE MY FILES WERE TOO BIG, SO YOU'LL HAVE TO SOB SOME MORE CFI

I know CFI, which is why I was keen to show some actual anaylsis.

For example, today in the RA Aus incident section, the one I quoted might be written up as "a XXXXXX, in spite of several lift offs in hot weather, failed to effectively achieve flying speed and stalled into the ground killing all on board"

Readers would go to the aircraft name and say "they're known for poor performance in hot weather"

But the story I quoted had the guys history of not giving a XXXX about paperwork, constant criticism of CAA, poor maintenance record (photos attached), never been to the neighbour's landing strip before, didn't measure it, didn't take the temperature (which was obtained during the inquiry by a temperature recorder attched to a rabbit trappers cool store a couple of kilometres away, marks on the claypan, broken phone wire etc in minute detail, so you had no doubt the cause was failing to do the most primitive paperwork before taking off, then having a massive series of HR failures.

(I just made this bit up, but it wouldn't be too far from the report)

It didn't take me long to scan the stories, but there's a max. attachment size for pdf's of 500 kb, and the files were 4494 and 7781 kb, so we aren't going to be able to squeeze them down enough.