J160 or J230 for flying training

ckaine

Hi all,

I'm just hoping to get a few thoughts on which aircraft out of the J160 or J230 would be best to complete flying training in. I have heard that the J230 is more stable and a bit more forgiving when landing.

Many thanks

Chris

Guest brentc

I wouldn't be worried about the differences right now, you'll quickly change from one to the other later with no issue. Cost would be the deciding factor if I were in your shoes.

The 230 should cost more per hour. You have to do a min number of hours, thus use the one that costs less if able. Point that what you plan to buy, or is available to hire, is important. Train on that one. What you save (in time/cost) by training on "easier" aircraft now is rearly not that important as you will learn more on "harder"aircraft now, and will only spend it later when undergowing conversion to other aircraft later(probably more as you will have to "unlearn" slackness).

Go the 160 for initial training, cheaper and it will make you a better pilot, transitioning to the 230 is a sinch as it is easier to fly in my opinion, just quicker...and the experience of feeling the difference in climb performance the first time you go up by yourself in the 230 will bring a big fat stupid grin to your face (i speak from experience :big_grin: love the sound of that six when you give it heaps down the strip ) I too trained on the 160 and am now doing the navs in the 230 (if only that money train would arrive so I can finish...)

The J-160 will make a better pilot of you. It's better that students don't have too much power as this then requires them to control the aircraft on the ground over a longer distance = good experience. Makes it harder in crosswinds too - but you'll be a more skilled pilot for that.

happy days,

• 4 weeks later...

My advice, use the 160 right through to the end then celebrate your wings by getting endorsed on the 230 and you like me will probably not want to fly the 160 again.

The 230 is just too much fun.