Thinking of buying an AVmap EKPIV.

nigelm

Anyone got any views on this GPS, I must admit to liking the look of the larger screen and the features seem good, but would welcome any thoughts/opinions as it is quite an investment. The new Garmin 695 looks great but is 800euro more.

Anyone got any views on this GPS, I must admit to liking the look of the larger screen and the features seem good, but would welcome any thoughts/opinions as it is quite an investment. The new Garmin 695 looks great but is 800euro more.

I have one in a J230 and have been operating it for 12 months.

It has been working well for that time and I love it.

You can see mine in the dash at J230 @ YSWG in the Jabiru section.

Hope this helps.

Regards Geoff

Thanks for the quick reply geoff, I'll have to get saving.

Take a look at my Bravo, and my wife paula on this link. The plane came with a Bendix GPS which is not very user friendly.

Cheers Nigel.

Thanks for the quick reply geoff, I'll have to get saving.Take a look at my Bravo, and my wife paula on this link. The plane came with a Bendix GPS which is not very user friendly.

Cheers Nigel.

Thanks Nigel.

Your Bravo looks nice and Paula doesn't look too bad either.

From the quick look at your panel in that video you might have trouble fitting the AvMap in as it is quite large, particularly with the AirGizmo mount that I have used.

Have you checked your available space?

Regards Geoff

Hi Geoff,

We will be going down to the plane on Saturday and staying over the weekend, so I will be seeing then if I can squeeeeeezzz an Avmap GPS in.

I will let you know what occurs.

Take care,

Nigel.

Guest landmann

Eric from Skykits mounted one in my Savannah ADV above the windscreen with velcro. Works just great. Easy to read and adjust. Can't say enough good things about it. Snaps out for removal but never falls off. You may want to give Eric a call. 731-363 1408.

Martin

Nigel

What I did to get a nice flush mount as seen in the picture here:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/11876-post1.html

I used the plastic backing that has the straps on it that you use to attach the Avmap to your leg. I cut a hole in the panel and attached the back plate to the inside of the panel. I mounted the aerial and created a fused power lead with both wires passing through the top of the plastic panel. I would attach the power and aerial wires to the Avmap and just simply click it into the panel. To remove you just unclick it and unplug the two wires. This is a lot cheaper method of making it quick release and a nice flush mount then to go out and buy a Gizmo mounting shell.

I also had a spare aerialand power lead at home so I could take the unit home and use it for planning etc - even in the car.

Hope this helps!

Hi Geoff,Yes I will be able to squeeze in the Avmap, did you use a special mount for your's? I want to fit it in as flush as possible with the dashboard. Any advice will be much apreciated.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Nigel.

I used an Air Gizmo mount and am very pleased with it. The unit is easy to remove, looks flush/set into the dash and is neat. I drilled holes in each corner of mine to mount it from the front, so let me know if you want any pics that show more than I posted in J230 @ YSWG.

The Air Gizmo unit is shown here AirGizmos.com Panel Dockâ„¢ and there are overall dimensions shown in the link.

Hope this helps, and let us know how you go.

Regards Geoff