Jab vs sport cruiser

Guest Pioneer200

Guest Pioneer200

Hi was wondering how many members have flown both and if so what did

they find the major differences

Our club Jab 160 has been out of action for 2 months with engine problems(new one on way from Aus) so I finally got back in air today with instructor in club members sportcruiser ZK DEC (NZ).

Not being used to toe brakes or constant speed props I found these took a bit to get used to.

Also found the cruiser very twitchy in pitch and roll compared to Jab, any little movement on the cruiser stick instantly rolled or pitched plane.This was ok once used to it

Cruiser is a very comfortable ,roomy plane excellent for long trips and overnight stays thanks to wing lockers.

I still love our Jab 160 and are hoping our maintenance man can do magic and get new 2200 in quick:sad::thumb_up:049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif:thumb_up::thumb_up:

I don't think there are many of the sport crusier in Australia. One of the members here is training in one over west.i have nerver flown a Jab or a sportcrusier. there is a show on the net called full flap TV on the net that does a story on the factory where they come from.

If you watch the show tell if you notice anything about the female reporter.

Paul

Guest Brett Campany

My flight school in Bunbury has a Jab J230 which I flew first and a CZAW Sportcruiser, I've done about 19 hours in the Sportcruiser and love it. I'd even consider buying something like this. Compared to the Jab, the Sportcruiser has much better ground handling than the Jab. I put the Jab in the dirt twice because it's a mongrol to stop going left. Mind you one of the students has flown several Jab's and he told me that the one our school has, has the worst ground handling than any others he's flown.

In the air I prefer the Sportcruiser, electronic flaps and trip, more comfortable and lots of room.

If I were you and you had a choice, fly the Sportcruiser.

Sorry i am late

Sorry to come in late on this thread but that cruiser looks veeeery nice and on looks alone is a winner.

Specs from the web read well and its a good idea to google for flight reviews on aircraft to get a handle on how they may fly.

Support (if you buy one ) may be a bit thin though considering the lack of planes in Oz.

I would go for the cruiser though.

Guest Brett Campany
Sorry to come in late on this thread but that cruiser looks veeeery nice and on looks alone is a winner.Specs from the web read well and its a good idea to google for flight reviews on aircraft to get a handle on how they may fly.

Support (if you buy one ) may be a bit thin though considering the lack of planes in Oz.

I would go for the cruiser though.

Support is actually pretty good, there's a bloke I know in the States who is the US dealer and he can source anything you need for the Sportcruiser.

Go with what your heart feels, is the advice i was given today by a RPT pilot today. Sounds like you enjoy flying the J160.

Also may depend on what you maybe flying after your training.

I personally believe it would be easier and quicker to convert from J160 to CZAW Sportscrusier than vice versa.

Guest Brett Campany
Go with what your heart feels, is the advice i was given today by a RPT pilot today. Sounds like you enjoy flying the J160.Also may depend on what you maybe flying after your training.

I personally believe it would be easier and quicker to convert from J160 to CZAW Sportscrusier than vice versa.

Have to agree with you there, the Sportcruiser is easy to fly, better ground handling as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have flown both the sportcruiser and the Jabiru at YBUN.All my 70 odd hours of flying has been in the Jabiru and I have to say if I were to buy a plane it would be the J230.

I have flown the sportcruiser for 2 hours just to see what it was like.

It is definately more comfortable.Roll rate is faster then the Jabiru 230 and its more twitchy in the air. It's low wing so ground vision is reduced and dont forget the sunscreen,landings are easy due to better ground effect. Electric trim and fuel tank selector valve and the high reving rotax engine was something a Jabiru flyer would take a little time to get used too.

Also the cruiser has a TAS in cruise of 95 knotts compared to 115 for the J230.

The Jabiru 230 is 95,000 new and the sportcruiser is over 100,000.

The 230 at YBUN is a nice plane but required rudder trim adjustment to align with the nose wheel which would fix it's ground handling woes. Im sure the good people at YBUN have fixed this by now.

Hope this helped.