Dreamer

Guest roberttokarski

Guest roberttokarski

Hi There,

I was around ultralights and Gyrocopters for some years during my earlier childhood days. I got to fly occasionally at fly in's and any other oportunities I got. It was whenever dad would let me (and pay, if it was a joyflight).

My dad has been into Gyrocopters for many years, but sold his last one around 5 years ago. This is how I was introduced to the world of Gyro's and Ultralights.

I haven't been around the scene for around 15 years, and one week ago I had a tandem paragliding flight. WOW, I'm lovin it. Can't beleive how much fun it was, and I am really keen to do more flying.

Talking to my old man, he wants to get back into it as well, so we were thinking of getting into something that we can both fly. He really want's to get into the tandem type weightshift mircorlights (trikes), and I'm pretty keen to do so with him.

There are a few questions we would love to know from anyone who has had experience with these. We would love to know how safe are they, as I have heard conflicting stories.

One of the storires I heard was from a southcare (rescue) chopper pilot who said that they are one of the most common things to have accidents. He said this was because they were underpowered, and downwind they would litterally drop out of the sky (or something like that - dont quote me) because they flew slower that the wind (if the wind came up). I'm not sure if he knew exactly what type of aircraft I was talking about, because I said to him I was interested in mircrolights?

Anyway, if anyone can tell me their experience's with trikes (powered hangliders), and the best school or instructor to contact in my area, it would be much appreciated. (I live in the ACT).

Thanks kindly, Looking forward to flying soon. :):thumb_up:

Guest roberttokarski

Thanks heaps,

I've heard that Peter is very good.

I thought that trikes were fairly safe. I guess most of it probably comes down to pilot training and experience.

Hope to be flying soon... thanks again for the reasurance.

Guest Crezzi

He's talking complete garbage & clearly knows nothing about trikes (microlights) nor apparently much about aerodynamics. Are you sure it was a pilot & not one of the medical staff you were talking to ? ;-) I suspect there are more accidents in helicopters than trikes.

If you wish to see how capable trikes are google somebody like Mike Blyth who has done numerous epic trips in them. Or have a look at Microlight Adventures which has a couple of expeditions of mine (though not in the same league as Mikes).

Cheers

John

Cheers

John

Guest roberttokarski

Yeah, he didn't seem to have a very good attitude.

Everything else I've ever heard and read about trikes has been about how safe they are.

There's always someone who will bag something....

Cheers,

Rob

Maybe he was implying that trikes are harder to handle in windy/gusty weather...

BTW: Welcome to the forums...:thumb_up:

Hi Dreamer and 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif,

It`s a pitty guys like the chopper pilot didn`t keep their inaccurate comments to themselves.

I have a friend who owns and flies his own trike, from his property,just up the road from here,the craft is powered with a Rotax 912 which is rated at 80 hp,this is a lot of power to weight ratio and relatively speaking, it goes like a rocket.

They are very popular up here in the Port Douglas,Cairns area because the modern trikes are an excellent flying machine.

It is the pilot who makes them an excellent, safe flying machine.

Cheers,

Frank.

Guest Crezzi
Maybe he was implying that trikes are harder to handle in windy/gusty weather...

And if so he's still wrong (or at best generalising).

Harder than what ? I'd fly my trike in any weather that I'd fly a Drifter in.

Cheers

John

Guest roberttokarski

Thanks Guys,Yeah, I'm convinced. I like the comment; It is the pilot who makes them an excellent, safe flying machine.Cheers,Rob

Sorry but have to say it, HATE micro lites :big_grin: but flyin is flyin and whatever tickles your fancy (but we all share the same passion)

BUT sounds like the person you where talking to was full of nothi'n he new which was nothi'n ? I have seen some microlites and they (as well as all other ultralights J160 to thruster) are as safe as houses. play by the rules, fly to your means and skills and they will give you years of enjoyment and fun with out hassles. And have to admit whilst I am a microlite hater I have spoken to a few people and seen a few that are more advanced as a 747, and in my opinion the Aerochute is one of the safest ? how much better can you get than flying with a fully deployed chute ?

Guest travis

trikes

hi dreamer , im a microlight pilot but only have 80 hours up but must say i have enjoyed every minute off it . i dont think that rescue fella new what he was talking about . i believe that trikes are very safe for aslong as you consider the weather and dont fly in silly conditions . from my experiance they handle winds pritty good but thurmals can be a bit unplesent .

Its funny most people who tell you they are death traps have never flown in one and know nothing about them! I had a Pax the other day who was getting a suprise flight as a present telling me that "these things always crash I mean how many times have you crashed?" Only twice this week I replied! ;)

Guest Andys@coffs

I fly both trikes and 3 axis and the same rules apply, fly it within the envelope and there arent any issues. push it to the edge, or beyond and your bound to get a 2minute segment on some local news show. Trike rate of decent is greater than 3 axis (in general) due to high drag/ low weight combination. The same combination when mixed with a hipower engine, and 65-80hp engine on a 200-300kg aircraft allows hi rate of ascent as well. Its not unusual to be at 1000ft turning base in a tight in circuit and still easily put the mains on the piano keys.... not something that most recreational pilots could easily achieve in a 3 axis equivalent. Is that a benefit or a drawback.... neither its just what it is so fly accordingly.

Andy

Guest Crezzi
Sorry but have to say it, HATE micro lites :big_grin:

Ok I'll bite (I'm at a loose end since I can't fly due to the weather).

Why do you hate microlights Adrian ?

Cheers

John

Sorry but have to say it, HATE micro lites

Like and Dislike, love and hate is a personal thing, so to my mind, this don`t count at all and means nothing to the airworthiness or safety of an aircraft.

We`re in trouble if we start judging the airworthiness of an aircraft by likes or dislikes.

Cheers,

Frank.

"Flying Is Easy,Crashing Is Hard".

Nah gave the missus away and the dog 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

Just not keen on them, Why I do not know ? If I where to have a fly in a trike maybe I could change my mind but as for flying in one all the time, just not my cup of Tea I suppose not just a hate thing?

Have flown a Aerochute before for a few laps and although it was somthing different I would not buy one of go out of the way to fly one. But some people just love them, as i said "whatever floats your boat", I know of gyro pilot who fly's nearly every day and loves nothing more, I am changing my mind on gyro's after getting into some real in depth discussions with a few pilots of them.

Frank said it as well like or dislike it has nothing to do with airworthiness, I have seen more incident reports for 3 axis than trikes

Who Is going to take me for a trike flight ;)

OK I am going to go and keep my head down.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest roberttokarski

You shure your not in with this chopper pilot Adrian.. ;) Just kiddingThe thing that really appeals to me in terms of aircraft safety is that these things have very few moving parts. By that I mean that there are no linkages for the controls etc, so the chance of something going wrong with the machine are a lot smaller because there are fewer moving parts.Cheers Rob