RAAus CTA Endorsement 3 or 4 weeks away

Admin

[imgalign=left]http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/attachments/ra-aus-forum/8590d1238387891-avalon-plane-damage-fighting-fund-raalogo.png[/imgalign]The new Civil Aviation Order that will allow RAAus pilots to fly into controlled airspace has been drafted and is only 3 to 4 weeks away.

The argument put forward for the endorsement was that for safety reasons RAAus pilots at times need to be able to transit controlled airspace rather than risk flying over unsuitable terrain in the unfortunate event of something going wrong.

CFI's have the sylaabus and once RAAus advises they should be able to commence CTA training of RAAus members.

Members will need to have a Class 2 medical for the endorsement and will also need to sit a practical flying test for CTA and the theory test is most likely to contain 50 multiple choice questions.

Aircraft flying into CTA will be required to have a radio and a transponder with the transponder having the usual GA type checks performed on it.

Other components of the order contains changes of flying into restricted airspace and the 5,000ft height limit. No changes apply to the RAAus restriction of flight over water however it is hoped that in due course this will be removed and further discussions on this are taking place between the RAAus and CASA.

Whilst some may say that this is very much like GA the endorsement is for the safety of RAAus members and many members will not need the endorsement but it is a step forward for those that do.

It must also be noted that flight into controlled airspace by an RAAus member without the appropriate endorsements or aircraft will be met with the same penalties that apply today.

Guest basscheffers

I am a big fan of it. There is no black magic about CTA flying, just know how to announce yourself or request things and do what they tell you. I am surprised they could even come up with 50 questions for an exam!

Guest Elk McPherson

It is a GA priveledge... amongst "big" aircraft and the innocent fare paying and GA public.

The freedoms AUF/RAAus has enjoyed up until now have been limited to Class G "Free in G" airspace - please don't be surprised that there are real-world requirements placed on RAAus members who want to use "protected" airspace.

That said (speaking as a non-believer) I will support RAAus CTA endorsements provided there are appropriate controls, training and reporting. 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

CTA Endosments

Can some body please help.

The endorsment I understand but what requirments are there for the aircraft being used.

Do you need a certain aircraft engine etc,

much help would be appreciated.

Already looking for a transponder suitable and cost any suggestions.

Maybe we could get a better deal from Microair or some body..

Cheers

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/attachments/ra-aus-forum/8590d1238387891-avalon-plane-damage-fighting-fund-raalogo.png[/imgalign]The argument put forward for the endorsement was that for safety reasons RAAus pilots at times need to be able to transit controlled airspace rather than risk flying over unsuitable terrain in the unfortunate event of something going wrong.......

Members will need to have a Class 2 medical for the endorsement........

So those of use who do not qualify for a Class 2 medical will have to continue to "risk flying over unsuitable terrain in the unfortunate event of something going wrong......."

Interesting..................031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif:confused:

Guest Elk McPherson

Medical certification

Gday all

The medical standards are very comprehensive and almost any condition is allowable, to some extent, for a Class 2 medical.

The cut-off will always be the risk of sudden incapacitation, eg: immenent stroke, heart attack risk, blackouts (due epilepsy, some diabetes or whatever).

I will probably need to have my aortic valve replaced in about 10-15 years. The anti-coagulant drugs I will need to take will increase my chance of CVAs and so I will be limited to "as or with a Co-pilot only".

I could fly for airlines but I won't be able to teach my kids to fly RAAus 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

To check the medical standards, go to the CASA website and check schedule 5 of the Civil Aviation Regulations.

For more information about a particular complaint and what it would mean for you, search the CASA website for the Designated Aviation Medical Examiner (DAME) Handbook.

I think a lot of recreational pilots are scared of getting bad news or geting knocked back.

Guest Cloudsuck
Can some body please help.The endorsment I understand but what requirments are there for the aircraft being used.

Do you need a certain aircraft engine etc,

much help would be appreciated.

Already looking for a transponder suitable and cost any suggestions.

Maybe we could get a better deal from Microair or some body..

Cheers

G'day, my understanding is that you need an approved aircraft engine (not a certified engine). This includes a Rotax 912 or Jabiru but I doubt that it includes a modified Subaru engine. You may be out of luck..

Guest brentc

To enter CTA you will need an approved engine and comply with the CAO's, specifically 95.55. If it's for a Terrier you would need an approved engine (no problem with the aircraft as such, just the engine). Personally I'm not sure if a Subaru would comply (if you have one of those). It would need to have dual ignition, so what kind of engine do you have TangoCharlie123?

Skeptic36, this is only for RA-Aus at present. HGFA generally look after the trikes and the like and I don't think the majority of members will start banging the door down for entry into CTA!

I've seen the syllabus, you'll need to enter CTA atleast on 3 occasions to become endorsed. It won't be a simple endorsement, particularly airfields in Class C. Remember, if you are not comfortable or not able to work out how to fly into Tullamarine or Mascot for example, then you shouldn't be entitled to this endorsement! (seriously) I know people who have flown into Tullamarine for their PPL flight test, so think about this and whether you really want it.

Guest wayland1

Controlled airspace

Hi all. We have had a special exemption for nominated pilots at Coffs harbour for almost a year now which means RA pilots can fly in and out of Coffs during tower hours. ATC operators really aren't the boogie men they are sometimes percieved to be. It doesn't take long to get confident. Our only problem at the moment is that an RA instructor can't instruct at Coffs unless he or she has a GA rating and an RA rating. Can't quite fathom the logic but I am sure that will change. Once the airspace is open and you need to get some experience in a control zone you can fly into Coffs before or after tower hours, and we at the Coffs Harbour aero club will be happy to supply an instructor to fly you around the zone, tour the tower until you are competent and confident. You can leave with a CTA endorsement and an invite to fly back anytime. We are looking forward to the RA in Coffs. GA has been looking terribly sad over the past decade.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Guest Andys@coffs
Isn't Coffs only Class D? It's not class C is it?

Its C ontop D. See attached

Andy

[ATTACH]7753.vB[/ATTACH]

35749228_CoffsVTCExtract.jpg.85c323ae3cca14b1b01d03458981cf12.jpg

Guest wayland1

The instrument regarding Coffs. is on the CASA site Instrument no EX73/08 Lists all the requirements re. our case

Guest Andys@coffs
Hi Andy. Are you still moving back to the area?

Yep, as soon as the sale on my Adelaide property completes. I'll probably look to South Grafton for the 230 at this stage. Hope to be there for July

Andy

Guest wayland1
Yep, as soon as the sale on my Adelaide property completes. I'll probably look to South Grafton for the 230 at this stage. Hope to be there for JulyAndy

No luck re the class 2 medical?

Guest brentc

So being class D, you're not really in CTA, so to speak (even though you are to an extent). Being class D explains why you've got the excemption, versus class C.

Guest basscheffers

The exemption in place for Forsyth Aviation at Parafield doesn't just allow the YPPF GAAP, but any CTA anywhere, see: http://www.casa.gov.au/rules/miscinst/2007/ex15.pdf

Technically I could take the Sporty and fly it into Tullemarine right now, as long as the flight was under the operation of Forsyth Aviation. (i.e.: they authorize it)

I've been looking at some of the major class C aerodromes in ERSA and do not find their flight procedures very daunting, especially compared to the GAAP aerodromes. The hardest thing seems to be navigating them when you are on the ground!

I doubt much more will be expected from us than PPLs as far as CTA is concerned. I have been getting the same training as they do so far and find there really isn't much to it.

Guest Elk McPherson

Brentc.... not correct

So being class D, you're not really in CTA, so to speak (even though you are to an extent). Being class D explains why you've got the excemption, versus class C.

G'day Brent

Class D is every bit a Control Zone - no "to an extent" about it. You must have a clearance to enter Class D just the same as Class C and GAAP. The difference between Class C and class D is simply that Class C is Radar airspace and Class D is procedural airspace.

No Radar in Class D means the controller must separate you with other traffic by x degrees of arc, y miles and/or z feet (no I dunno what the respective values are).

The reason for the limitation of "Class D only" may be due to the requirement to carry a Transponder in Class A, B and C airspace (AIP GEN 6.1.1). If the RAAus aircraft do carry transponders (assuming they are checked per the CASA requirements) it may also be due to some sort of internal Airservices risk assessment process.

Guest wayland1

That's right Coffs is class D, non radar control up to 4500 where it then goes into Brisbane airspace. there is nothing Mickey mouse about the zone, just less busy than the major centres, good to get aquainted with.